Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably posting this in the wrong spot. But, Hey! I want to chat about pureeing pumpkin.
Every year these last few years I have cooked pumpkin and then puree'd it in a 2-cup chopper for cooking with later. It was kinda slow, but it worked.

Now that has started making horrible squeak/squealing noises. I switched to a blender I found way, way, way, way deep in the cabinets. It's even slower, but it's not squealing.

How the heck does anybody else puree cooked pumpkin??

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
I have a cheap food processor.

You can also mash the cooked chunks, just like you would potatoes.

Have you tried oiling your chopper? Regular 3-in-1 on the mechanical parts, veg oil on anything that touches food.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I puree mine with an immersion blender ,or food processor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a cheap food processor.

You can also mash the cooked chunks, just like you would potatoes.

Have you tried oiling your chopper? Regular 3-in-1 on the mechanical parts, veg oil on anything that touches food.
Good idea. I should get myself a food processor. I was at a few resale shops over the weekend, but I don't recall seeing any. I guess I'll have to widen my search.

I tried to open the bottom to see if I could oil it, but it's not working. I'm afraid I'll break it if I force it open. I think I'll wait 'til DH gets home. He may have better luck.

I puree mine with an immersion blender ,or food processor.
I used to have an immersion blender that I got at some garage sale. But I never used it, so I got rid of it. :shrug2:

·
Registered
904 Posts
I bake my pumpkin until done then scoop out the filling. its pretty soft at that point and I just break it up with a fork.

If i had to I would either use a food mill or a food processor.

Also, the kind of pumpkin matters as well. jack-o-latern pumpkins arn't really good for pies as they are stringy and have a bitter after taste.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.