Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been said that every time you leave something untidy in the home you create something that will sap your energy and prey on your mind until you get around to tidying it up. No matter what you do in the home you are always thinking at the back of your mind about that mess of books, or pile of shoes.

Every piece of paper not put in a filing cabinet or every toy not stored in a cupboard or toy box is a potential source of worry, or at least concern. Apart from the hazards untidy rooms create there is also the feeling at the back of your mind that you haven't quite finished what you started. And that can be enervating.

It is like you are building up a store of unfinished business. Before you know it the whole thing has reached a critical mass and you can't find anything. Stress levels inevitably go up. Worry sets in.

So what do you do about mess? The simple solutions are always the best. The most obvious way to avoid "clutter anxiety" is to make sure that you give some thought to storage. You don't need to spend a fortune to make really creative options for yourself.

Start with storage cubes. These are wire construction, self build units that can be made quickly into four level vertical shelves or arranged in a variety of horizontal configurations. The strength of these is that they are inexpensive, lightweight, and strong.

Once you have your units made then is when the fun starts. There are some people for whom there is no finer pleasure than arranging their books on a bookshelf. They can have endless, therapeutic fun arranging them by author, title, subject or even the color of the book spine.

In similar vein there are few things more enjoyable than taking clutter and organizing it into submission. With your cubes all made up you can have endless fun sorting and categorizing to your hearts content. It becomes a source of real satisfaction to see it all go into place, neat and tidy.

So taking care of your clutter problem can be something you can use to your personal benefit. It can help you feel positive, in control and optimistic. There is so much to be gained from declaring war on clutter that once you think about it you will hardly be able to contain yourself. Lets face it, there is never going to be a shortage of clutter.

About the author:

Chris Brand is an author who writes on home improvement.You can find out more about storage at his website http://www.boxes-racks-storage.co.uk

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
That is so true. When it first starts building, it's tolerable, but it really does create mental stress, almost like a lack of air for breathing or somehting.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Great article! Thank you for sharing it with us Sara!

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
:bump:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I agree with this article. I feel SO much better when things are clutter-free. :)

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I think I got this article link from you Sara but it's one I love. It's about clutter, weight control and feng shui. Interesting. I keep it and read it every once in a while.

How Clutter Affects You
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/224#more

It's from Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui, by Karen Kingston

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Wow, Sara. Great article. I so agree! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts