Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There's a red flag warning for western Minnesota too. Our fire danger right now is rated at moderate.

Stay safe! And where are your go bags? Hmmmm? :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just saw this thread - on the topic of carrying cash in luggage - are traveler's checks still around? I know there's a small fee associated with getting them, but AMEX or whoever you buy them from will replace them for free if they are lost or stolen. Honestly, I haven't used them in 20 years (shows you how often I vacation!), so I don't know whether they've come and gone, but that might be a nice option if you're concerned about your luggage getting stolen or caught in a fire.

This thread makes me think of my mom's advice, which was to carry $100 with you at all times for emergencies. I never, never carry that much with me (the most I have is $20 "mugger money" if I'm in the city), but there is probably wisdom in it in case of an emergency when a debit card wouldn't suffice.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't know if there are still travelers checks or not anymore. I know they used to have an expiration date. They were also sort of a pain in that you had to keep track of the numbers of the ones you spent, and of course that list had to be kept separate from the checks so if the checks were lost you'd still have the list.

We're planning to have some cash for incidentals in each of our bags.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
SD- No, not packed. :) I really should be more prepared. I seriously hope we don't need to leave. We never have before. Hoping for some rain here. I honestly don't know anything more than we've been red flagged. I suppose I should be more on top of those kinds of things too. I know very little about forest/brush/woods fires and flag warnings. Just Smokey the bear stuff, not joking, that's the extent of my knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We have an online map showing current fire conditions for the entire state. Your state probably does too.

We're not as prepared as we should be either.

I do know if they told us to leave, we'd leave. We like our stuff but not enough to die for it. At which point we wouldn't need it anyway.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Oh, I'd leave. No question of it. We're insured.

As far as the advisory, just heard it on the local news last night. My DH knew about days ago, never said anything. I guess since it's never been a huge threat here we are less responsive than we should be. I'll check the news again tonight. My assumption is that it's due to lack of rain, rather than heated conditions since it's been rather brisk here.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We're in the woods here in the northeast part of the state, but the western side of Minnesota is prairie. They get a lot of wind out there and coupled with dry conditions, they can have bad grass fires.

The fire from last fall near here is still burning and probably will be for years, since it's in a peat bog. But I think it's contained now. At one time they had over a thousand firefighters from all over the US and Canada here last fall. The pictures are amazing. We weren't in too much danger in that one although a nearby town was. Still too close for comfort. It was really something watching that enormous smoke cloud blow up. The winds were terrible that day, and it was so dry up here. The smoke was causing air quality problems in Chicago. It was bad.
pagami fire pictures - Google Search

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I made some progress today.

~I went through the phone book and other info and noted down important phone numbers and addresses.
~I bought a small address book and made a second copy of important numbers and addresses so each go bag will have a copy.
~I added a pre-paid calling card to each address book in case we don't have our cell phone along.
~I partially packed my bag.
~I bought a pair of jeans for the go bag.
~I peeled the labels off my empty prescription bottles, applied tape to the back, and put them with my important papers in the bag. That way, I'll have all the details handy in case I need them if we're away.
~I called the Forest Service to get phone numbers to call for info updates if we're outside the immediate area.
~I called my husband at work and got contact numbers from him for his supervisors and others he might need to contact.
~I found some canvas shoes in my closet I don't usually wear that pack nicely.

In addition, we have started keeping both cars at least half full of gas. That would enable us to get to the nearest town with a 24-hour gas station, fifty miles away.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks SD, don't know how I missed this post back in March.

Interesting read............

And made me realize that I should have 'something' together......for any sort of emergency. :thud: I am not prepared at all.......except my dogs are kenneled if it is a night time thing.

As much as I grumbled about our winter, this made me realize that I am happy we have over 100% of our normal snow pack....and they are saying an "average" fire year.

I do hope you get it organized.........and then don't have to use it. Take care.......

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I figure it's cheap insurance. Setting up the bags is going to cost next to nothing. Finding a good, convenient place to store them is going to be interesting though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Now that you have youre go bag going together, you really should consider a 72 hour survival backpack with the 10 essentials for survival.
A go bag to just get the kids to the hotel, and a survival backpack are 2 totally different things, and if your car breaks down in the harsh winter, or you get lost, or any number of other things causes you to be stranded, at least you have the ability to survive.
It is about quiting time here at the office, but I can make a list if you need it showing the critical items needed.
You can get most things at Wallmart and probably already have a lot of things you can use.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts