Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's interesting about the carrot tops regrowing. I was recently surprised to learn that celery will regrow. I cut off the root and set it in water. After a bout a month it had strong roots. I planted it in the container garden on my porch and it's doing well. I tried garlic. At first it was growing well and then it died back. Supposedly onions can be regrown from the root as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What a great sharing of your journey. Funny that even though we are all living different lives, there are so many similarities!

Don't know if I missed you mentioning it, but have you ever sprouted different beans - so nutritious and easy!
That's interesting. Can you sprout any kind of bean? What's good to do with the sprouts?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Regarding chocolate: I have a "thing" for chocolate. It's quite expensive as candy bars or as chocolate chips. Toward the end of the month I make a substitute at home. It's 1 part cocoa powder and 2 to 3 parts sugar. This satisfies my body's chocolate craving at a much lower cost. It's lactose free, very low fat. It's also good with nuts or seeds or raisins in it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice to hear from so many of you! :wave2:
Yes, dandelions will grow in a small pot; it's better if it's tall enough for the root, though. I have 2 shallow planters planted with dandelions right now, though I had to bend the roots a little to fit. They are doing just great, but too toxic to eat from all the spraying nearby.
I will check on the internet about how to sharpen a saw...good idea, if I've got the right tools on hand.
And that's a great way to satisfy the chocolate cravings...a really good substitute!

Well, this week I made it out to the city to get some MTS phone cards from the place I last got them. And they had none, and aren't getting any more. And although I explained that this is the 4th time I've been stonewalled about this issue, the clerk didn't care one iota. :huh: I may register a formal complaint to MTS about this issue, since they've given me the run-around from start to finish. And it cost me nearly $20 for the trip-fare!

While I was there, I decided to grocery shop for essentials, and hit some good deals at the grocery stores. In the long run, I spend $200 on groceries and office supplies, and saved $150, which is what it would have cost me extra if I had shopped locally. And since I was going to buy all these things anyway, I have a savings of $150 on my budget for the next 3 months, once I've done the averaging. At one store, I also got the Senior's Discount, and won a free apple juice. At the office supply center, I got a free $10 Sears gift card with my purchase of printer ink. The ink cost over $62, and I always hate to spend that amount of money, but it couldn't be helped. Well, my cupboards and fridge are fuller, and I won't have to buy these items for many months. I also got 3 small bags of sugar for $10, vingegar and pickling salt on sale, and a surprise deal on corn at my local grocery store: 5/$1.00. This morning, I got to the Farmer's Market, and bought a bag of cucumbers for $1, 2 peppers for $1, a big bag of beets for $2, and a big zucinni for $1, and they gave me another big zucinni FREE. So my fridge is nicely full. I have been feeling very hungry for a few weeks now, missing out on my garden produce, and cutting back on spending, so it was a real blessing to hit all these great food deals this week at last! :king3:

During my trip, I encountered a total of 5 crabby/don't know/don't care clerks, and 4 really nice ones, who simply beamed with good-will and helpfulness...nice to see that it's not a lost art nowadays. :cloud9:

Today again, it's extremely muggy and hot with a high of 32 degrees Celcius expected; the next few days are forecasted for rain, so I want to get some housecleaning done, and blanch a few veggies for the freezer. I still have to go wildcrafting for some decent dandelions/plantain/purslane to blanch and freeze for the winter, but I haven't had the time or health so far...my health is starting to improve a bit now that the air quality outside is better. So, I'm here in an air-conditioned library, just enjoying the time on FV.
Have a great weekend, buds! :wave:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Oh incognito, what great deals you found! My Mom lives just west of you in Ontario and groceries are ridiculously expensive. She tells me some of the prices and I just cringe for her. Although I find the prices here in Minnesota are beginning to climb so we just might be passing you soon!

Thanks for the info on the dandelions. Good to know. You should definitely write a letter or email to MTS...that is poor customer service.

Glad your fridge is full and you will have rain soon. That will help with the residual chemicals. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, yesterday I got all 15 of my plant pots planted, to bring indoors later for the winter. To deal with any chemical pollution of the soil, I've decided to flush my plant pots will many waters, which should drain them of any chemical residue, and also dispose of bugs & worms. Will leave a saucer underneath to get a good kill. Then I'll trim off the leaves, and let them grow out again, and that new growth should be safe to eat.

So far I have pots of:
dandelions
purslane
broadleaf plantain
wood violets (chockful of Vitamin C)
2 pots of Romaine lettuce (inner cores)
celery (inner core)
2 basil
2 carrot tops
1 beet tops
dill
green onions
chives

There are also 2 tomato plants which are are quite compact and small-fruiting, and I might dig em up and plant them in planters for indoors.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Rinsing them well with many waters should clean them out well incognito. Sounds like you have a lot of potted plants growing! :clap:

Prayers for peace. :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the great article about dandelions, wunsagin.
God has really provided well for us in regards to the nutritional value of this plant; as well, it's almost indestructible.
But somewhere along the way, we got turned around by the "green lawn" industry.
I'm glad to see the new gardening movement of having less and less grass in front and back yards, and more and more beautiful and edible plants.

I think I'll be able to harvest a lot of seeds from the "spoiled" plants of my garden. The lettuce, dill, beans, tomatoes are going to provide me with a lot of seed for next year, and when you think of the cost of flower and vegetable seed nowadays, that's a real savings. So, in spite of the loss, I should still have some gain.
Another bit of good news: today I found a mallow plant in the front lawn, and dug it up and potted it. I want to try it out to make homemade marshmallows (that's what the plant roots are actually used for).
My beet top pieces are already growing tiny new leaves. So far, so good on all the other plants I just potted. I think I can make room for them by setting 6 pots on my little step-ladder, then put the 3 larger ones on the floor in front of the big window; some of them do well in the shade, so they can go on top of my china cabinet hutch, and on the cabinet itself. I may also set a few on the main floor where the sunlight shines; visitors will have fun seeing those dandelions in the wintertime growing in pots in my living room! (hee hee):winter:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Let us continue in prayer for peace and that God will temper our reaction and response to the evildoers of this world who instigate strife and unrest.
"Destruction and misery are in their ways, and the way of peace they have not known."
May God help us all as we deal with those who use aggression to harm and provoke others.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well, work is better than worry, says this Canadian beaver, so I've been busy with my fall start-up this week. :va: :teach:
It's nice to earn some money again, and that will help with my summer shortfall. I've done my accounts and should be caught up again by end of next month, and after that, I can save and designate any earnings towards an increase on my monthly budget over the next 5 + years. That would be good, because $120 per month for variable expenses is not working out well, due to rising food prices.
The weather remains hot in the daytime and cool at night...perfect harvesting weather.
I'm enjoying my patio again...in a few weeks, there should be quite a bit of good seed to harvest from everything out there in my garden.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I agree OM! :)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
My retirement is looming though I don't know when. I'm ready to start doing the serious actual budgeting to see if it's going to be possible at all anytime soon. I should keep working for the income and the health insurance we have here, but my chronic arthritis pain is making it harder and harder - not to mention I am just very very tired of working.

I'll follow this thread and learn what I can from you.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Good news for me!
I have more paid work this month. And if it keeps up till next summer, I will be able to save this income, and increase my variable monthly budget by an extra $25 per month for the next 5 years. That would amount to a total variable budget of $145 per month for the next 5 years. If so, I think I can manage on this amount.
I've been living on a budget of $120 per month, ($100 for Food, $20 for Other), but have been having a shortfall at times. The things I forgot to include in my original budget were vitamins, bus fare, office expenses (printer ink, paper), home maintenance repairs and equipment (lawnmower cord!). And I had not budgeted enough for postage and gifts.
I'd like to have enough $ per month to be able to cover bulk food sale purchases, and to be able to squirrel away a bit more in savings, or even save for a good pair of winter boots.

One thing I've learned is that it's never too early to look at the real dollar figures of one's own situation. And get the budget and retirement plan figured out. I am revising my budget plan at the end of October, and again at the end of December to reflect any changes, and if I'd waited only 1 more year before attending to all of this, I would be absolutely sunk...there would have been no way I could have managed to survive till retirement.

I am not an accountant, or even particularly knowledgeable about these things, and I have to deal with my illness and all of the mobility problems I have now...this impacts me continually, and slows me down, and makes some things I used to do impossible to do now. And another thing I've learned is that I'm alone in all of this, as far as human aid is concerned.
But God is helping me to figure it all out. One of my early prayers was to ask the Lord for the financial help of Matthew the tax-collector, and ever since then, I've been getting regular 'insights' into how to better manage my finances, and general situation. (Don't laugh...really, it's true.) :angel2: My prayer is being answered.

·
Registered
72 Posts
let us continue in prayer for peace and that god will temper our reaction and response to the evildoers of this world who instigate strife and unrest.
"destruction and misery are in their ways, and the way of peace they have not known."
may god help us all as we deal with those who use aggression to harm and provoke others.
amen and amen !!!!

21 - 40 of 286 Posts