Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Incognito,I am thinking of trying green onions in the kitchen, they say they are the easiest to grow..and I have a black thumb... so I thought I would try....

Turkeys are very expensive were u live..I know this week is Canandian Thanksgiving..I am hope to get mine for 1.19 a lb....and we will get a butterball..

I have never had beet cake...we love carrot cake here..I made a carrot cake last weekend it was yummy...

I don't have a lot of money to spend this it will be tight but we always get through..

as a new Christian I am finding it hard to spend time with the Lord..housework, the dogs, the cats, and the kids..I set my self up a prayer corner away from the tv I find my self sitting there more and more..

I am also under conviction I can not watch certain shows with out feeling it is not right..I love Anne Rice books and I have 4 new ones to me that I have not read..and I can't..I have thrown them across the room..and certain rock music I can't listen too.

no short shorts or tops that I used not think were to low cut..I find that are...

ugh....Bless u my sweet friend

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Love reading your posts incognito and what a fantastic price for a turkey! I am glad you were able to find one. Would it be possible to post your recipe of the beet cake? I am intrigued by it and would love to give it a try. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Deb, I'll bring my cookbook along next time, and post that 'Beet Cake' recipe. It is so good!!

Oheoh's momma, I really appreciated reading through your post. Right on! Have you ever read this book, "Conversational Prayer". I find it really helps to pray conversationally, whenever and wherever I need and want to. And I hear what you're saying about conviction... and taking out the trash. WTG!
Spiritual warfare...Book of Ephesians.

I had such a nice walk enjoying nature on Sunday. I just took my cane along, and meandered where I felt like going; the Canada geese were gathering and flying in small flocks, and when I was struggling along down a hill, they were flying up the same hill, and their wings whizzed a few feet right over my head. What a great time, enjoying the autumn colours of green, gold, red and orange on a perfectly still day, beautiful sunset, while wearing 2 hats and thick gloves and a windbreaker so I wasn't bothered by the chill air. Greeting people as I walked along, giving directions and advice to tourists, resting by the waterfall in the park, watching the squirrels dash through the piles of leaves, viewing the town from the top of the look-out tower. But on the way back, I came upon a pile of scattered goose feathers from a wild-animal kill, and reached home before dusk.
The beautiful days continue here...we've had quite a few in succession, so I'm now storing them up for the winter days ahead.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks incognito, I would appreciate it! :)

Sounds like a lovely fall day. I am glad to read your turkey was delicious! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Incognito that sounds like such a lovely day.....our fall has turned wet and dreary.the leaves are just starting to turn and I am afraid we will lose them with all this rain...

today I got to hot from cooking supper and I took my cuppa tea to the patio and set..it was chilly and the sky was gray and I watched the clouds move..

I think we will have wet winter...and I need to pick up a big bottle of Vit. C

hugs and God bless

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Here's the recipe, gals:

Beet Cake:
(a large cake; batter is pink, but bakes to light-brown colour with beet flecks)

1 cup cooking oil
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups grated raw beets (medium grated, not fine)
1 cup crushed pineapple with juice, OR grated apple, OR applesauce

3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsps. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat oil, sugar and 1 egg together in large bowl. Beat in rest of eggs 1 at a time.
Add vanilla. Stir in beets and pineapple (or applesauce).
Add remaining ingredients. Stir to moisten well. Turn into greased and floured 9x13 or larger cake pan.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 min. or till an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Serve with or without frosting.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thank you so much incognito! I was thankful to see that I could substitute pineapple for something else as I am allergic to pineapple so thank you for including the substitutions. It sounds yummy! As soon as I pick up some beets, I will try it and let you know.

Have a wonderful evening! :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Quick update:
I've been busy; finished crochetting a pair of slippers and now have warm feet again.....aaaaahhhhhh!

Indoor garden doing ok: onions are growing faster than I can eat them...a good problem!

Was able to finish October with a balance of about $8 extra dollars in my budget...yipee!
Bought meat, vegetables and bread yesterday, so my freezer is full again; $70 left in the November budget.

Got most of the garden and yard work done lately; just have to do a few more things, and then it's done for the year.
It's been very frosty lately; sometimes as low as 8 degrees below at night.

I've picked out some slipper patterns to make slippers for my Grandkids for Christmas. Got to get started on those!

Bye for now! :monke:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
You have been busy! Glad to hear your onions are doing so well and your feet are warm again. I need to knit me a pair here soon too! Our nights have been chilly but not as low as yours yet! :cap:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thought that as a third ager, I'd stop in and say hi. I don't have much to add just yet, but you never know! I've been trying to make pine cones with remnants of brown fabrics I have been saving. I hate to throw away fabric! I'm also transitioning from an every-two-week pay period to a once a month check. I'm pulling out all my frugal stops to adjust to the change in cash flow. So... hi!:hat:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Hi ScrapStitching! Nice to meet you! Your pinecones sound very interesting. Would love to see a picture of them. :)

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi ScrapStitching! Nice to meet you! Your pinecones sound very interesting. Would love to see a picture of them. :)
Ooops, I posted them in the hobby forum. The second one is on the white background. It turned out much better than the first one. I'm learning as I go along :) Here ya go!

Food Ingredient Recipe Baked goods Cuisine Plaid Christmas ornament Bag Basket Pattern

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks scrapstitching!!! They are adorable and a GREAT way to use up scraps! :)

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Another update, folks::apple:
Got a letter from my banking institution, and since I'm turning 60 years of age in December, I will qualify for their Golden Account, which will save me about $60 per year in fees, and give me extra privileges.
Divide that by 12 months, and that's a savings of $5 per month, which will increase my variable budget to $150 per month. (I've been wondering how to find that $5 extra per month, to make it an even $150, and here's the way.)

Eyes are bleery from crochetting my grandkids Christmas slipper-moccasins (was often frustrated by pattern problems, but finally corrected the 10 errors in the pattern, and am now almost finished both pairs)... Almost gave up on the project, but suddenly realized that all I had to do was make both sides the same, plus 1 extra stitch at the center back for the shoelace to fit over, and an extra stitch at center front for the properl division of the slipper-top stitches. Once I figured this out and made some notes, all was well, and I got both pairs almost done in 2 days.
Also made several pairs of cardboard insoles for my winter shoes and boots (used cereal box cardboard), then cut out insole shapes from some pile fabric from a small winter coat lining, and glued it onto the cardboard for nice cushioned and warm insoles. Works fine!

Made some grape jelly from some of my grapes...best jelly I ever tasted! I boil the grapes, then cool them, force the pulp through a strainer, then add about 2 tbsps. of dry pectin, and sugar to taste; heal to boiling, boil 1 minute, then pour into quick-sterilized jars. I usually prepare jam and jelly like this nowadays instead of doing up a whole batch of multiple jars. I find that there are usually some fruits in my crisper that are ready for jam, so I cook 'em up quickly for a jar or two on an impromptu basis.

My legs got a lot weaker with all that sitting and crochetting for the past 2 weeks, so I must get out and about a lot before the winter snows come. Nice fall day yesterday, and it warmed up enough so the river is still unfrozen in the center current. About 50 Canada geese still hanging around on the riverbank...this must be a really tough flock...true Canadians...they just won't go south until they have to!

Have a good week, all!:smball:

·
19,119 Posts
Heading into age 68 in a few months and still going strong!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Baked buns, taught lessons with a stern face and got less talk/more action, cooked in bulk, finished grandkids slipper-moccasins, crochetted/knitted more samples for other upcoming projects, shovelled SNOW this week.

Discovered that my Nanking cherry jam has started to crystalize (same as grape jelly does), so I dumped the whole jarful into a strainer, and it's straining out the syrup for my use, and leaving all the crystals behind. Good salvage here.

Errands, etc.

Bought a hand-knit sweater at the thrift shop for a dollar; it hadn't turned out too well, but the yarn will yield about $35 worth of Ragg yarn.....yippee!

:hero:

Still have $10 left for the month.

PS:
WOW, MAUI !!! Looking Good!

61 - 80 of 286 Posts