Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 120 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Incognito,
I just finished reading this whole thread and you are truly amazing. I love that you find your strength in the Lord and that you trust in Him for your future. You're in my prayers for a good 2014 that brings you peace and comfort.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Oh incognito, I am so glad to see you back. I am sorry to hear about your dear son and all that had happened over the Christmas holidays. :hugz:

I hope that 2014 brings you much peace, joy and love.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
What with everything that's been happening, I haven't had much time to update on the internet here on FV.
But I want to thank eveyone for your emotional support and prayers throughout this difficult time for my family.
Things are still very troubling, but God is our refuge...a very present help in trouble.

Goals for 2014:
Inner Peace

Motto:
Is this the way I want to live?

I have been asking myself this question from time to time lately...in regards to many aspects of my life.
And it has helped me to think things through, and make decisions and changes...big and small, that have made my life better.
One of the most difficult things for me to deal with is the toxic people in my life. I do not mean the difficulties of regular living, or with family, friends, etc. I mean those who deliberately target me in a spirit of ill will in my community. Perhaps some of you may identify with this problem. So, after long deliberation, it is time for me to LET GO. Detach emotionally, and yet pray that God's will be done in them. We do not know the inner part of a person...only God knows that, and so one of my goals for 2014 is to leave them with God to deal with. And to take His peace instead of feeling frustrated or troubled.

Another one of my goals is to enjoy life more. I've started on my spring-cleaning over this past week, and it is really nice to declutter a bit more and make home a pleasanter place to be.
The thick sport socks I knit for myself fit well and are nice and warm. There was some yarn left over from knitting DS3's Christmas gifts (hat, socks and mitts), so I have been knitting another pair of winter socks for myself (except with black heels and toes), and I will have 3 small strands of yarn left over when I finish. It has taken quite a while, and trouble and effort to try to perfect a few good sock patterns for me and my family, but I'm getting there.
And guess what? All of this knitting...with about 10,000 stitches going into each sock, has actually improved my hand co-ordination again, and I have recently been able to recapture some rapid hand motions which I haven't had in 6 years, since the flu shot partially-paralyzed me both sides, head to toe in 2007.
So it looks like there's still some room in my brain for new development, because despite aging and illness, it's still happening. :lol3:

Another thing that helps is listening to complex music...because the brain analyzes it and builds and rebuilds networks of cognitive functioning in hearing, comprehension and response. :music:

How are things going for the rest of you?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am glad to hear that you are letting God take care of the toxic people in your life incognito. My thinking has changed to this idea as well this year and although I find myself slipping here and there and letting them get under my skin, I feel as if I am making progress. :)

Congrats on the sock making! I made a couple of pairs a few years ago and will need to again NEXT winter. This winter I am concentrating on infinity scarves. :)

I hope your son is recovering well. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. :hugz:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
After teaching online classes since the 90s, I've found that treating everyone in a kind way but having no expectations of them has lessened my burden. Some people just don't have the personality or ability to politely disagree without attacking the person. It's part of what I teach in Business Ethics class. I think the same holds true outside cyberspace. There are toxic people everywhere and it seems like they resent anyone who is hopeful and living in peace. I have to take a leadership role and diffuse cyber bullies and toxic posts in the classroom but in my personal life, I just forgive and move on......I completely disengage. I don't let anyone steal my joy. It is far too precious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've never been able to understand toxic people. I need to be able to look at the woman in the mirror. I love that your joy is too precious to be stolen. What a great way to greet the day. I personally wake up and say, "oh good, I get another one!" Remember always that their resentment is theirs and not yours.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Well, the month is almost gone, and I have $2.35 left in my variable budget.
This month I bought 1 big jar of peanut butter for $8, 2 big jugs of milk (it's gone up by 20 cents per jug!), and 1 box of Red River multiple grains cooking cereal. The rest of my money went to buy light bulbs, because my provincial government will no longer be selling 60 watt or 100 watt light bulbs after this year, and so I invested in some more light bulbs during a local store sale. The other thing I bought was postage stamps...at the end of March, it will cost $1.00 plus GST of 5%, for a single postage stamp, so that's an increase of about 40 cents per stamp. Therefore, I did some calculations and bought enough stamps for about 2 1/2 years...I will buy more stamps in March, enough for another 2 1/2 years, which should last till I'm 65 years old, and can afford them again! The ones I bought so far are now sitting in my safety deposit box in my financial institution.

I had to make a quick long-distance phone call from my home phone (and without a long distance phone plan, which was costing me about $40 -$50 per year, and I cancelled a couple of years back). I've now learned that my 1 minute call cost me only 46 cents, and since I rarely call long distance now, I can still do this, and enjoy the savings as well.

It's tax return time, and I'm getting busy on it. I keep my files up to date, so there are only a few papers and receipts to organize, plus poring over the Tax Return Guide, and then I can prepare my return.

I have more work, which should bring in another $80 per month for the rest of the teaching semester.
But I'm also having probs with a student who has been getting troublesome and unmanageable, so anything can happen there.

My DS is still going through many difficulties; and also had his birthday recently. For his gift, I regifted a gift card I got at Christmas. Your ongoing prayers are much needed and appreciated on his behalf. :ponder:

There has been a green line on my tv set at times for a few months now, so I rarely watch tv, to save my set for as long as possible. So, I've had more time for other things. My landlord did a building inspection to take floor and wall samples, and I was up till 3 AM cleaning and organizing...thinking it was a tenant occupancy inspection...but it wasn't.
However, my house is tidier and less dusty, as a result, so the inspection turned out to be a blessing in disguise, though I didn't appreciate the extra stress and work at the time. I also got my studio papers and books reorganized this week, and baked bread and cookies, as well as attending to my paid work.

It's been snowing a lot, and that means lots of snow shovelling...which is very hard for me to do, but I still can do it, and that's the main point, though I have to pace myself.

Some of the 'toxic people' I mentioned in my post awhile back work at my main grocery store. Oh my, it's just an ordeal to go in there sometimes, and hear them gossiping about people and swearing, and to have to endure their petty harassments! And their miserable, grouchy :angry:faces! The last time I was in there, the grumpiest one was mopping inside the store entrance, and she kept wet-mopping IN FRONT of me wherever I walked, which is very dangerous for me, because of my mobility problems struggling to walk and using my cane, I almost slipped on the floor several times. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. So far, I only bought 1 jar of peanut butter there this month, and bought the rest of my groceries at the other store. On the plus side, it is a real incentive for me not to shop there unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Just think of the money I save because of their 'customer service'.
Some of life's problems can be turned around to be a blessing in disguise!

How's everyone doing?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I feel the same way as Kim incognito and I do hope you continue to post. I have your son in my prayers daily. I would stay away from that grocery store as much as possible. Take care! :hugz:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Using It Up:

Of course, I have had other things to eat this month besides my big jar of peanut butter, milk and cooked cereal.
I've been digging into my supplies, and using them up gradually. After all, they aren't going to be getting any fresher in the cupboards, pantry, fridge and freezer. So that's what's on the menu at my house. And as a result, I haven't needed to spend money on buying food, and have also made more space as I use things up.
Tip: Even old rice and seeds can be saved and used simply by soaking/draining in several waters. Tastes fine then!

Leaving you with some great websites I found about making your own chocolate and candies::lolli::coffee::remind: Also some websites for making your own potato chips and fast-food:

How to make DARK CHOCOLATE - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0jmAesKIo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_dS-9-gLTA

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Finished doing my income tax, and sent it away today. Should be getting a nice little refund if all is in order.
Feeling quite frazzled due to the late nights and long days of poring over all these papers. Need sleep.:rest:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Hope your tax return comes quickly! Thanks for the links, I am going to have to check them out. :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I am feeling reasonably good financially. I am able to put money into retirement through automatic deductions at work. A lot depends on how well the retirement investment fund does. This year was pretty good. I have no where near enough money to retire but I am only 45 so I have a ways to go. I hope to retire at around 57. My husband has health issues. He wants to be able to retire when he is still well enough to enjoy his retirement. And I want to be able to retire at the same time as him.

The concerns I have now are keeping healthy mentally and physically. I have been working on various things to help me physically. Some days I feel very stiff and achy and it makes me feel old. I want to get rid of those problems. Mentally, I want to keep learning new things and be "mentally active" to keep my brain functioning well into old age.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have a little over three years to retirement (62.) It's sometimes hard to believe I've been working full time for over 40 years. As jobs go, mine is pretty easy and if I didn't have health issues, I'd probably work until 65 and take Summers off. Time goes by quickly, Kathy. Live every day with as much happiness and peace as possible.

101 - 120 of 286 Posts