Frugal Village Forums banner
121 - 140 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Things have been problematic lately, so I haven't been on the internet as a result.
DS1's injuries have finally stopped bleeding after the past several months, and now he is going through physiotherapy to restore as much function as possible. Despite all of this, he kept up his work at the oil company where he was injured, assigned at as much office work as he was able to get. The winter roads this year were icy, with many dangerous storms, and temps at an alltime low, so daily commuting was treacherous, as well as going for surgery hundreds of miles away. It has been a long ordeal, and isn't over yet.

I've had issues with security at my building and unit, so the past few weeks have been spent on tightening security, and completing inventory of my belongings. It's incredible when people will break in and steal from me...stuff like jewellery keepsakes, money, food and supplies.
Well, I've reported and dealt with it all, and there has also been a recent change in management (for which I earnestly thank God).

I planted a few lettuce and tomato seeds indoors, and the lettuce is up.
What survived and did well in my indoor garden over the winter was:
- green onions
- celery
- impatiens (they are all blooming beautifully right now)
- basil
- dill

The rest of my plants didn't do very well, but I really enjoyed the ones that made it through, and produced a little for the table.

------------

It is nice to hear from all of you...I really enjoy reading about how you are doing, and how you are dealing with your own plans and challenges.
Take care!:wave2:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Your son remains in my thoughts and my prayers. I'm hoping Spring will hit you very soon and bring some warm air into your area.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Prayers continue here as well for your son. :hugz: I cannot believe you were robbed!!! I am so sorry and I hope you are able to recover the items stolen or that you will be compensated for the items. Take care! :hugz:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Happy Easter incognito! :)

Reactions: Incognito

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Another little crisis this week, a severe asthma attack caused by my neighbour's dryer exhaust mistakenly hooked up to vent into the doorway of my unit. Feeling better today, but my complaint about this to the new landlord netted their dryer hook-up to be diverted to its proper location asap in future, and now I'm also threatened by ("relocation...if I'm so sensitive to my neighbours activities", "besides...that dryer exhaust...it's just air!").
But I was so sick, desparation helped me to hold my ground, and said I have no intention of moving till I'm 65, because I have to work from my home, and when I do move it won't be with them any longer, if I can't get some ordinary respect and consideration...because I would NEVER have done to my neighbours what they did to me! Thoughts of living in a cave by the river someplace as a homeless person haunted me for the rest of the day, but I am not going to be intimidated by b.s.

Before this happened, I managed to get my back yard and garden raked up (took me all day, but I rested and got it done), and have saved 5 bags of compost and will use it to raise my borders, which are sagging and funnelling rain into my basement. But that will now have to wait until I'm well enough to do it.

Had a baking fit...and baked a nice Johnnycake, Chocolate Cake and Bran Muffins...fortunately, everything turned out great! Also knitted another pair of cushion socks for summer-time walking. Had a springtime walk in the park, and watched and listened to the waterfall and the Canadian geese and ducks exhulting out there. They have to let the whole place know that they're happy! No flowers blooming anywhere yet that I can see, but the dandelions in my patio planter survived and are started to green out, so as soon as possible...delicious dandelion greens again!!!!
The deer left a generous donation of fertilizer on my back yard, which I think would pep up my perennials whenever I can deal with prepping my borders. Here's what I'm doing...dig up a few inches of good, black soil with spade and drop it in pail....dump a bag of lawn rakings, etc. into that spot...crush the black soil in the pail, then sprinkle it over top the lawn rakings on the border...place ornaments as before. This should build up my borders about 8 inches, and when it sinks down after the season, it should be about 2-4 inches deep. And I can have my garbage bags back to reuse. I don't know if I'm being smart or lazy, but it works for me!:clover:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
incognito - great to hear from you! I cannot believe that your neighbor did that!! and to say what they did is just rude. If dryer exhaust is just air, then why do they needed to be cleaned out on a regular basis?! So nice that you were able to accumulate so much for compost and fertilizer! Those dead leaves and grass help so much in gardens and borders...for free too! :)

Your baking sounds delicious and I too am anxiously looking and waiting for dandelions. I make dandelion jelly with them. It's great! Takes like wild honey. :)

Take care!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
incognito - great to hear from you! I cannot believe that your neighbor did that!! and to say what they did is just rude. If dryer exhaust is just air, then why do they needed to be cleaned out on a regular basis?! So nice that you were able to accumulate so much for compost and fertilizer! Those dead leaves and grass help so much in gardens and borders...for free too! :)

Your baking sounds delicious and I too am anxiously looking and waiting for dandelions. I make dandelion jelly with them. It's great! Takes like wild honey. :)

Take care!
Thanks Deb, I appreciate the support. I've been dealing with lung and sinus infection since this happened, and feel very poorly, but as soon as I feel better, I'll be able to get back to my work-list.
Dandelion jelly sounds lovely; I'll have to make some too! Could you share your recipe?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Looks like a great recipe; thanks so much, Deb!:chef:

Well, I've recovered enough to get out there and pack 5 bags of leaf/grass compost into my front flower borders. This should divert some water from leaking into my basement, and also looks a whole lot better. What a relief...the front is done, and I got the front lawn raked too in the process.

Next...my pebble pond...the squirrels are giving me some sass for not getting it in shape for them yet, but they'll have to depend on rainfall till I can get out there again.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
My thoughts are with you incognito. :hugz:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Another development in my housing status:
Received word today that my continued occupancy in this unit is up for review...and I am considered overhoused, and no consideration can be taken regarding my need for the unit for my home occupation for self-employment.
Also a rent increase of almost double the present amount has just been dropped on me like a bombshell.
Despite my pleas for consideration, I was told to go on social assistance.
But I argued my points one by one against that, and am now fighting for my home and all that it means to me.
Will have interview with director in 2 weeks, and must continue the fight then.
Won't go down without a fight.
Still have a few more strong points for my case.

Sometimes, I think I should give up already, but I've been fighting for survival for over 33 years in public housing, and I'm going to give it all I've got before it's over.

10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord) - Matt Redman (Best Worship Song Ever) (with Lyrics) - YouTube

·
Registered
226 Posts
Incognito, that song was also sung at my mother's funeral a year ago this month. The words to it are incredibly beautiful. Yes, the older we get the more we lose our loved ones. I miss my mom more each day but I know she is with God and that gives me much comfort. I love the song We Believe by the Newsboys.I could listen to it all day.

You are in my prayers, I hope everything goes good for you in your housing struggles. I love reading your posts, you are such an inspiration.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Oh incognito, I am sorry to hear that they are giving you a hassle about your housing situation. Don't give in!!! I am glad to hear that you are not going down with a fight. Good luck to you, I wish you the best and will be waiting to hear the great outcome! :hugz:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
My mind has been a whirl for the past few days:whirly:...trying to analyze my feelings and think through on my counterpoints. I wrote down some strategic points to raise, and if all else fails...I will just REFUSE TO GO. :down:
I think I can handle the rent increase as long as I'm allowed to stay here and work for the next few years. Every dollar I earn now will go towards the rent increase, because I've already saved for all the other expenses I've mentioned in other posts. I also have some stuff to sell if need be, though I want to keep my piano and classical guitar anyway.
It seems all this was bound to happen sometime, but I'd prefer not to be 'surprised' like this, and it seems ridiculous and unfair to impose these changes on me...defies all reasoning in my opinion, but that's bureaucracy for you.
Oddly enough, it was a bureaucracy of a different political stripe that got me into this unit, and now it's a different political bureaucracy that's trying to get me out.

Took a nice walk in the rain to the park this morning. The earth is just starting to look like springtime here now. Life is so wonderful; if only people wouldn't spoil things.

DS2 was one with nature...one of the things we shared. It only seems like a few weeks ago since he passed.
I appreciate your prayers, your emotional support and all your kindness and understanding.
Bless you, my friends! :heartsm:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
You stick to your guns incognito. Hopefully it will all be dropped and they leave you alone. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :hugz:

121 - 140 of 286 Posts