Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new (to me), toaster oven. No instructions. I need advice how to use it, what to make in it, etc. I've never had one before. Never had one while growing up either.

·
Registered
904 Posts
you can use it just like an oven, if its a cheap one, make sure to protect the top of your food from burning (with foil) and to turn it often.

I have used them for muffins, cookies, as well as toast.

They are great way to keep your oven from heating up your house so much.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i use mine daily.

garlic french bread
cheese toast with grey poupon or maille
cheese and ham melties on whole wheat
cheese and tomato melties on garlic bagel
cinnamon toast
meatloaf
broiled veg slathered in olive oil with roasted garlic
eggos waffles
baked meatballs

pay attention to how you use the knobs. one knob lights up only the top burner and a second knob controls a bottom burner.

Reactions: baxjul

·
Registered
221 Posts
We recently bought one used (and without a manual). I looked up the brand and model number online and found the manual.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I just got one from freecycle today too... it's too hot to use the oven!

You can make -almost- everything in a toaster oven as a conventional one... ALMOST -- if you are making something that will splatter, take an extra long time, or pre-packaged... skip the toaster oven.

Toaster Oven Recipes :)

·
27,948 Posts
First thing I remember making in were fish sticks when I was a teenager babysitting... how can that be so long ago?!

I agree with the above posters, they are so nice especially for smaller amounts that you don't want to heat a whole oven for. Great for melting cheese on items, roasting heads of garlic etc. Pay attention to what's going on in it & note your dials before you use it each time. Depending on what's being cooked I also like to turn it often.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Carefully - most of them are not very well made. Don't ever leave it on unless you're keeping an eye on it. Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
904 Posts
BTW, Also make sure to actually make sure it's on. If you unplug it the timer will still work on analog models. I was trying to cook some cheese toast in mine one day and just couldn't figure out why it wasn't heating up.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
BTW, Also make sure to actually make sure it's on. If you unplug it the timer will still work on analog models. I was trying to cook some cheese toast in mine one day and just couldn't figure out why it wasn't heating up.
I do this daily 'cause I keep unplugging it during storms. DING!!!! Dinner is....cold.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've looked all over online to find the manual and I can't. It's an Emerson Stainless Steel Toaster oven.

Thanks everyone.

So far, I've made lots of garlic bread aka Texas Toast for dd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those frozen pizzas are much better toasted than microwaved. Toaster ovens last a long time, too. Mine is more than 20 years old and still works just fine. Thanks for the suggestions on what else to make in it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've looked all over online to find the manual and I can't. It's an Emerson Stainless Steel Toaster oven.

Thanks everyone.

So far, I've made lots of garlic bread aka Texas Toast for dd.
I have no idea what the model number is for your toaster oven, but there here's a link to a Emerson Toaster Oven Manual for model number TOR59:
http://www.emersonradio.com/owners/Home and Lifestyle/TOR59 Owner's Manual.pdf

Here's for model TOR35: http://www.emersonradio.com/owners/Home and Lifestyle/TOR35 8-24-07.pdf

Here's for model TOR23: http://www.emersonradio.com/owners/Home and Lifestyle/TOR23 (FINAL - Updated in 1-08).pdf

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Can't add much to the above.

Great for not heating up house. Also if fixing something stinky you can take it to the porch etc if there's a plug in. Keeps smell of fish etc outside. Just wipe out the inside before bringing back in.

Also good for using up hamburger, hotdog buns, sub buns by making pizza bread using little bits of sauce and leftovers. I do this alot. Real quick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts