Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Rising prices are hitting almost every aisle in supermarkets across the U.S. The cost of steaks swelled by 25% between November 2020 and November 2021. Eggs and fish were up 8%, to cite just a few unfortunate examples."

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
#3 so true, keep on hand... "eggs, pasta, rice, bread, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables and fruit, onions and potatoes"
I would add carrots, cheese, broth or bouillon, margarine or butter, sour cream, pasta sauce, baking supplies. You can always make something filling from those 20 or so items.
Figure out when/where the mark-down items will be put out on the shelves.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Impulse buying is getting me these days. Don't know if I have it or need it, but I'll put two in the cart just in case. I really need to stick to a list.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
CH impulse buying has been my problem to i don't very often just get one of each thing usually at least two winds up in my cart.I need to use up freezer and pantry food but i got to were i don't like to cook eat to much junk food.And don;t know what i want to eat until i get hungry and weak then it to late to start cooking especially from scratch.Told my dd that i was going start cooking eating from freezer and pantry and only buying what i need.Wish me luck on that lasting very long.Wishing 💐 :) every one a safe and Happy New Year

Reactions: MaggieTru

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
Another big money saver is not shopping more than once a week or every 2 weeks. If you forget to buy something, do without till next trip. It's so easy to go in for one thing and come out with a cartful. Keeping a notepad handy and adding items to it as needs arise is essential to making this work, so needs aren't forgotten when it's time to shop.

Also, learn to cook from scratch including things like bread and simple pastas like spaetzle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having the same breakfast is actually comforting to me. I'm fairly dazed in the very early mornings. When I'm up at 5 a.m. it's all I can do to remember to put the part with the coffee and filter back in the machine before it hit the on button. We have a routine: Whoever gets up first makes coffee. Then I do meds for myself and the cat, feed the cat, and get the oatmeal with raisins on. We usually have fruit or a fruit cup with it, some type of meat (chicken for breakfast is surprisingly good), and anybody who's still hungry can fill up with toast and peanut butter or jam.

I saw in the sidebar of the article that clothing is going to take a jump too. Really feel for people with growing children. My great nephew came by over Christmas and he's taller than I am now - and he's only 14. He casually stood by the stove talking to me and ate six cookies in about ten minutes. Fortunately he likes soup and one thing I can do is make a great chicken vegetable and whatever's around crockpot of soup.

Ermadunk, I'm diabetic and get the same way if I don't eat regularly. I certainly don't want to cook when my blood sugar is so low I have to concentrate to stay upright. What works for me is batch cooking - pick a favorite one-pot meal that has protein, veggies and carbs and make it on a day off. Then put it in containers or ziplock baggies in the freezer. All you have to do is heat it up and dinner is ready. Saved me many times when otherwise I would have had peanut butter crackers or bought something fast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Impulse buying is getting me these days. Don't know if I have it or need it, but I'll put two in the cart just in case. I really need to stick to a list.
Hear you there, Contrary. I found myself starting to do that when the shortages began and there were empty shelves. It's almost like a survival instinct - this might not be there next time so get some. I thought about making an addition to my list - categories of things like pasta or proteins that store well and we will definitely use -- and limiting myself to buying extra of just those when I get the urge to stock up. I failed to do that a few times and now I have the largest collection of mandarin oranges in light syrup in the continental United States. Roomie doesn't like them so I will be eating them daily for the foreseeable future since I didn't look at how far out the expiration date was, either :D. List, must look the list...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rising food prices are also a problem for us.
The tips I can give:
Make a meal plan and then write a shopping list.
Only shop according to this shopping slip. No bycatch!
Just cook from the ground up.
Switch to cheaper products, e.g. from chicken breasts or chicken legs to chicken giblets, if it fits the recipe.
Pick dishes that are inexpensive. For example, paella style chicken with rice and beans.

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
Jo, I try to do that, too, some days more successfully than others. But we very rarely buy mixes of any kind, including seasonings. And I'm always on the hunt for more recipes to make more things from scratch to control costs and also unwanted ingredients like salt and get better products.

We quit buying bread almost entirely. I think we've bought 1 pkg of buns in the past 2 yrs and that's it for store bought bread. Store bread isn't very appealing anymore and the premade buns were an excellent reminder. During covid I made a point of trying recipes for different types of breads till I found what we liked, and now I have good reliable recipes for several types. Consequently, our KA mixer and 2 thrifted bread machines have now paid for themselves many times over. 🙂

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I was telling my husband I think I need to go back to curb pick up for groceries....I didn't buy junk when I was doing that. I lost weight. Now running to Aldi's for olive oil yesterday I came out with my hands full.....got to stop that....
I do better when i send my dd she only get what on the list and some time they are out of part of what on the list. (but i haven't went hungry)When i go i pick up to many different kind of snacks.Everyone try to stay warm and have a good day.

Reactions: MaggieTru
1 - 13 of 13 Posts