Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was thinking of how many desserts I could make just from what I have in my pantry right now..

Ill start by posting that I could make "homemade brownies with walnuts" from my pantry..

What about you? Do you have the ingredients to make them?

How many desserts to you think you could make from your pantry..no boxed or pre made mixes please.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Too well stocked IMO.

For baking I have ~3lbs of AP flour, 2x 4lb bags sugar, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, 2lbs of oatmeal, couple boxes of raisins and other dried fruit, spices, brand new 2lb bag of pecans, ~1 lb walnuts, ~2lbs pistachios, a giant can of peaches, a couple jars of jelly, a can each of condensed and evaporated milk, baking chocolate and cocoa powder, brown sugar and eggs and a box of banana pudding mix.

The limiting factors are the flour, there is enough for maybe 4 recipes. And I'm completely out of oil except what is in my sprayer. So, yeah, brownies, and a peach cobbler or oatmeal raisin cookies, a farina cake or a flourless chocolate cake or any number of cookie recipes.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I could do lots of baking!! We just picked up 25 lbs. of flour and 25 lbs. of sugar at Sam's. I also picked up a 5 lb bag of chocolate chips! I have everything I would need to do cakes, brownies, cookies and pies! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Pantry is very well stocked..almost too much. My DD1 and I straightened all room this Sunday, rotated the stock. We found that we need Ketchup and tomatoes. The ketchup really surprised me, didn't realize we had gone through all of it. I was very happy with our stock. Only had to throw out 4 items..not bad. 2 freezers are stocked with overflow on back deck in tote...very cold here now so it is fine. This will really help with my goal of not wanting to buy anything except eggs and milk for a couple of months. Oh yeah...darn ketchup and tomatoes.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pantry is very well stocked..almost too much. My DD1 and I straightened all room this Sunday, rotated the stock. We found that we need Ketchup and tomatoes. The ketchup really surprised me, didn't realize we had gone through all of it. I was very happy with our stock. Only had to throw out 4 items..not bad. 2 freezers are stocked with overflow on back deck in tote...very cold here now so it is fine. This will really help with my goal of not wanting to buy anything except eggs and milk for a couple of months. Oh yeah...darn ketchup and tomatoes.

OT..I noticed that you live in NY..I live in Columbia County you by chance live near me?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am a little ashamed to know how well stocked we are. If time permits this week I will try to determine how many desserts we could make, I am sure more than we would want to consume in 2 years!!!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I need to see what out of date before I could even answer. Since we had a terrible and crazy year this year I have let it go. Since Ds left I need so much less food and had eaten out.
As far as desserts I gave 12 mixes to Dmom for her church pantry and for her to take in so I dont know. In a sad state ladies.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
My pantry is pretty well stocked or was before the snowstorm hit. I need to restocked it somewhat now. I made brownies Sat. Made upside down strawberry cake last night. Made Chili & had soup also. Spaghetti too.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I lose this one. I don't bake, except for the occasional boxed brownie mix, so I have no flour, no sugar, no cocoa. However, I wouldn't mind coming to visit some of you! :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I could make TONS of desserts not including the 6 or 8 cake/brownie mixes and three boxes of jello in my pantry. I could make many cakes, brownies, blondies, choc chip cookies, pb cookies, oatmeal cookies etc etc. I have apprx 25 pounds of flour 12 pounds of white sugar, four pounds of brown sugar, all kinds of syrups etc. I have a HUGE bag of oats and a huge bag of choc chips..I could make no bake cookies...Pumpkin pie. Apple Pie..Fudge..Honestly the list is almost endless! LOL The timing of this thread is cool because I am doing a mini challenge of not buying ANY storebought sweets til Valentines. If we want sweets is has to be what we have on hand(candy from stockings etc) and homemade. So far I have made brownies and a fabulous spice cake.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I avoid processed food and desserts but always have a stock of organic baking ingredients, dried beans/lentils, grains, etc. My pantry is small and well organized to prevent waste. It serves me well.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I have two boxed cake mixes, one of them angel food. I have HM Bisquick mix so could make lots of desserts with that.

The meat tray in the bottom of the fridge is full of assorted baking chips.

There is a bunch of margarine and butter in the freezer.

We have four large tubs of mixed nuts in the freezer, plus about six pounds of walnuts and another pound of sliced and slivered almonds.

Between the freezer and pantry, we have over fifty pounds of flour and forty pounds of sugar.

I have homemade cake mix which makes several different types of cakes.

I have homemade brownie mix.

I have a well-stocked selection of herbs and spices.

I have about a gallon of assorted liquors made into HM vanilla.

There is cereal and marshmallows and peanut butter to make cereal bars.

The limiting factor would probably be eggs for me. I think we're down to about a dozen and a half now. But I have powdered eggs in the camping supplies I could use if I had to. Or I could make things that don't require eggs.

It appears we have way too much stuff on hand for making desserts.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't use box mixes 99% of the time..I don't care for homemade cake though..to dense and heavy..unless I just haven't found the right cake recipe that would turn out light and fluffy.

I keep no less than 150lbs of flour,bread flour & sugar at all times..I don't stock to much powder or brown sugar as I can make my own..I make and have for many years my own Real Vanilla extract & ( fake)Maple syrup.. I several pounds of Cocoa also..

If I don't have a ingredient I search for a alternate sub on the internet..ie..I wanted to make Tiramisu but couldn't find any store that sells the lady fingers..searched the internet and found a recipe to make the cookies..plus I needed marscapone cheese that I have never bought nor had I heard of it before...again searched the internet and found a sub recipe to make.

Since whole wheat flour doesn't stay fresh for a long time I vacuum seal them in canning jars.
Do the same with my baking chips ( that I bought on clearance 2-yrs ago) I vacuum seal them in quart jars..I do the same with candy when they are on clearance..I now have a assortment..the same goes for my variety of nuts..

I just love my foodstorage!

·
Registered
240 Posts
brenda67, we love maple syrup but have begun using alternatives due to cost. I'd love your (fake) maple syrup recipe if you care to share!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts