Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We have already started our preparedness.

We have 15 chickens now. And probably get more in about 4-5 months. We also have 2 New Zealand White rabbits and will be getting a doe and buck from a different litter in about 6 weeks. Also a friend of dh's has a buck so that will bring in a new bloodline.

Have gotten plants already in ground and covered with hay. 3 sisters, potatoes, spinach, onions, horseradish, banana peppers. To plant later this month are tomatoes, more squash and 3 sisters, tomatoes, turnips, beets and sunflower seeds for the chickens and rabbits.

Dh when it is not raining has been bringing down deadfall off the ridge and stacking it for cutting up before winter. Nephew also has 15 acres so we are going to get from there and also a friend of ours has trees that he doesnt need so we get get more from there.

Buying from all the sales that we see. We are not gonna stop buying just because we have storage. We have family living in different parts of the east coast/south that would probably come here in an emergency and we need to make sure that we have enough. Especially for my mother who is 76 next month.

My main concern is medicines. Both dh and I take prescription meds and we can only get 3 months at a time so gonna have to try and figure that one out.

Have tp, shampoo, conditioners, lotions, soaps to last about a year or more. I also have been stocking up on baking soda since that is what I bath with instead of soap. I just use soap myself for my hands.

Have gotten a second pasta machine, cereal maker. Apple peeler and corer, meat grinders, grain mill, a second canner, a wood cookstove, and a new tiller.

We have a treadle machine but it needs a leather belt and some bobbins. So we are gonna order that stuff this week. We have every kind of material possible so quilts and clothes can be handled easily. Thread, needles, elastic, buttons are also in our storage. Along with very old clothes that still fit that we can use for patterns.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Wow, freyadog! You are WAY prepared!!! Impressive!!!

Now I feel SO behind the power curve!!

We're near a water source (lake) and have the ability to purify water. We live near a bunch of trees, so would have heat. We have about 4 months? of dry goods stocked up (maybe more) and about 2 months of canned goods. I have enough wheat (we grind our own) for a year.

I have a sewing machine and plenty of notions, but not a lot of fabric. :spool:

We have a generator...but need to get more fuel.

I have my freezer full...but would like to get the deep freeze stocked (my parents have an upright one and we get to use a bit of space).

I am WAY needing to stock up on TP :tp:, tissues, H&B, and OTC meds. I've started a list and am going to go to Walmart/Costco/etc. SOON. (Need Dh's help as my foot is still in this walking cast and I can't drive).

We have an EF that would last us about 6-8 weeks. Hoping to bulk that up a bit... I'd like to use part of the stimulus check for more pantry stocking...and then put the rest into the EF.

I know things will get worse before they get better... I'm just wondering HOW MUCH worse?

·
Registered
429 Posts
These are all great ideas. But, ladies, you need to be doing these things NOW. From what I've been reading/hearing on the news, a recession is certain and a depression is likely. Look at it this way, if it never happens, you'll be in a position to be even more frugal/self-sufficient and you'll be better able to handle the curves life throws at you sometimes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm pretty well ready!

I have 2 full freezers
plenty for pantry
H/B for over a year
Laundry detergent for over a year
generator - got a great deal this summer
4 huge water containers
working sewing machine & supplies
we are debt free
always keep $500 - $1,000 in cash at home (for emergencies)
I cook from scratch
tons of candles
I garden, can and preserve
grill, camp stove
tons of extra canning jars
tiller
grow many herbs that I dry
tons of books we haven't read (gotta have something to do!!)

I need to get:
more seeds
extra catfood
plenty of matches
probably more canned goods and staples (sugar, flour, salt, b.soda)
extra tanks for grill

I think we are in pretty good shape

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I want to start a cash EF, no large amounts in the bank.

Get seeds, lots of seeds. And pest control for the the garden is a must in my climate.

I need canning supplies and Dh is going to plant an Avocado tree next weekend. They are much higher in nutrients then any other fruit.

Need more fabric and thread.... lots more.

No need to worry about cat litter. IF it gets that bad I will put the cats outside.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I want to start a cash EF, no large amounts in the bank.

Get seeds, lots of seeds. And pest control for the the garden is a must in my climate.

I need canning supplies and Dh is going to plant an Avocado tree next weekend. They are much higher in nutrients then any other fruit.

Need more fabric and thread.... lots more.

No need to worry about cat litter. IF it gets that bad I will put the cats outside.
Survival guide books

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
what specific things would you do now to start preparing for it?
I would continue to stock up on non-perishables and I would buy another freezer.

While I wouldn't learn any new skills, I would start vegetable gardening again and we would install a wood furnace just like the one we used to have. It heated both the house & our water. I would also start canning again (ugh) and I'd probably mend our clothes...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It's kind of scarey just thinking about it, isn't it? :(
It is ,but sometimes don't you feel like Joseph or Noah in the bible preparing for something bad to happen and being prepared. But a little different, only a few listening. I know I am OCD it helps with my job. LOL But I almost feel normal here.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We have already started our preparedness.

We have 15 chickens now. And probably get more in about 4-5 months. We also have 2 New Zealand White rabbits and will be getting a doe and buck from a different litter in about 6 weeks. Also a friend of dh's has a buck so that will bring in a new bloodline.

Have gotten plants already in ground and covered with hay. 3 sisters, potatoes, spinach, onions, horseradish, banana peppers. To plant later this month are tomatoes, more squash and 3 sisters, tomatoes, turnips, beets and sunflower seeds for the chickens and rabbits.

Dh when it is not raining has been bringing down deadfall off the ridge and stacking it for cutting up before winter. Nephew also has 15 acres so we are going to get from there and also a friend of ours has trees that he doesnt need so we get get more from there.

Buying from all the sales that we see. We are not gonna stop buying just because we have storage. We have family living in different parts of the east coast/south that would probably come here in an emergency and we need to make sure that we have enough. Especially for my mother who is 76 next month.

My main concern is medicines. Both dh and I take prescription meds and we can only get 3 months at a time so gonna have to try and figure that one out.

Have tp, shampoo, conditioners, lotions, soaps to last about a year or more. I also have been stocking up on baking soda since that is what I bath with instead of soap. I just use soap myself for my hands.

Have gotten a second pasta machine, cereal maker. Apple peeler and corer, meat grinders, grain mill, a second canner, a wood cookstove, and a new tiller.

We have a treadle machine but it needs a leather belt and some bobbins. So we are gonna order that stuff this week. We have every kind of material possible so quilts and clothes can be handled easily. Thread, needles, elastic, buttons are also in our storage. Along with very old clothes that still fit that we can use for patterns.
Update here:
both freezers are now full. have started canning from the garden. added 5 guinea chicks now in brooder for watch dogs. have 25 Rhode Island red chicks coming on the 21 of this month(July) for meat birds and of course eggs.

we are going to cull our roos this weekend and can that meat. messy job but that is what we have them for. Umbridge#1 and Umbridge #2 have 15 chicks between them. so our chicken numbers are increasing fast.

Holly(goat) the 2nd milker will be here probably next weekend. Got to meet her today and actually milked her. Mini-Nubians are different in milking than a full size Nubian so girfriend wanted to work with me to make sure that I was able to milk her. She has blue eyes just like The Moz(Moses). With two milkers we will probably get almost a gallon of milk a day so most will go in freezer for soaps and lotions later on. Already have a girl calling me about soap.

tops of garlic are dying back so that means I will have garlic this month to put back. onion tops have already been pushed over so they are just laying in the ground waiting.

not gonna get many sunflower seeds. Miss Arwen got into them and almost cleaned me out.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm retired on a disability, living alone with my ungrateful teenager so my plans are a bit different than most others would be in case of emergency. My income is already just a smidge above poverty level and so I've been scraping and saving and stock piling all along. I've had to pay out most of my savings on medical bills, taxes and home repairs (in that order) and so there really isn't even enough left to bury me with if I died. No life insurance, either.

I don't have much to give up besides my home, my internet and my car I would consider selling my house and moving in with a relative or friend. Can't even grow grass in my backyard and the moles and grubs are taking over the front! I have a tomato plant growing in a bucket on my front porch.

Other than that, I am hanging in there by threads and trying to keep up with a older house crumbling apart around me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Other than that, I am hanging in there by threads and trying to keep up with a older house crumbling apart around me.
Would you be better off to sell your older home and buy something that is maybe a little newer or in better shape?? If its costing you money you would be saving that expense. Even if you got something smaller?? I dont know the whole situation....just a thought!! Then again if its paid for you dont want to go into a house payment either...hmmm

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I would stockpile for sure especially dry goods: Sugar, coffee, flour, canned veggies/beans, boxed pasta, spaghetti sauces, etc...

I would also conserve alot more energy by using candles at night and walking around with it around the house instead of turning the lights on.

We would have tons of leftovers., etc...

I would love to sell my house and possibly move to the country with a paid for house (even if a fixer upper, as long as it's in livable condition). I would grow my own veggies, etc...

I would also NOT have cable TV OR home phone AND might cut off the internet until the depression ends. TV would be limited to cut on electric use and water use would be cut dramatically (unless included in the house taxes).

There are so many things we all can do even NOW to prepare. Most of us already do as much as we can with only a few options available to cut down on or out all together.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Update here:
both freezers are now full. have started canning from the garden. added 5 guinea chicks now in brooder for watch dogs. have 25 Rhode Island red chicks coming on the 21 of this month(July) for meat birds and of course eggs.

we are going to cull our roos this weekend and can that meat. messy job but that is what we have them for. Umbridge#1 and Umbridge #2 have 15 chicks between them. so our chicken numbers are increasing fast.

Holly(goat) the 2nd milker will be here probably next weekend. Got to meet her today and actually milked her. Mini-Nubians are different in milking than a full size Nubian so girfriend wanted to work with me to make sure that I was able to milk her. She has blue eyes just like The Moz(Moses). With two milkers we will probably get almost a gallon of milk a day so most will go in freezer for soaps and lotions later on. Already have a girl calling me about soap.

tops of garlic are dying back so that means I will have garlic this month to put back. onion tops have already been pushed over so they are just laying in the ground waiting.

not gonna get many sunflower seeds. Miss Arwen got into them and almost cleaned me out.

I have a question for you..my onions have been in the ground since the middle of April and someone told me to fold over the tops and the onions will get bigger is that true? If it is how do I do it? TIA...

p.s. when do you know when the onions are ready to harvest?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Alot of the things I would do Im trying to do now. Like we need new windows to save on heat...we already supplement our oil heat with a wood stove insert in the fireplace. I have a huge house so I would probably be the one to take in my mom and brother because mom couldnt afford to keep her house and look after him too(black sheep and useless). Besides we would be better off altogether it would save on power and everything. I already make lots of soups and stews and often freeze them for later. My mom has land we could cut wood from if needed. I would barter what I could with neighbours. I do garden some and I can and preserve. I have a sewing machine and I can sew just dont very often. I think the biggest thing for us would be gas and furnace oil. Id love to switch to wood furnace now but really cant afford it. I think that will be something we will start saving towards. My son is in for a rude awakening.... he thinks money grows on trees...hehe! Although he is much better now that he has a job and I make him save some and buy the things he wants from his own money. I provide the needs....he pays for the wants. I just think he wouldnt like it at all as he is used to just being able to get what he wants one way or another. Most of us will understand far better than our kids!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a question for you..my onions have been in the ground since the middle of April and someone told me to fold over the tops and the onions will get bigger is that true? If it is how do I do it? TIA...

p.s. when do you know when the onions are ready to harvest?

dh went down the row of onions and just took his foot and laid the tops over on the ground of the onions. Sort of mash them down. We normally just after the tops die cover with hay and get them as we need them. This year however we may pull them up and try for a second harvest for fall and maybe enclose that section. we have an old sliding glass door that would make a great top for the winter.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
In some ways I feel like I am already stockpiling as much as possible for some really hard times ahead. Keep on building stockpile, get a couple more medical supplies, supplies for bicycle repairs, supplies for sewing machine, probably take on a roomate and/or move to a place where a large garden could be grown, stash as much cash on hand

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would get some Seeds and
Canning supplies (Flats, Rings, and Jars)
I would stockpile non perishables and did I mention stockpile non perishables and oh yes I would stockpile non perishables.

I just wish my house was paid for.
I have been making extra payments on it, oh how I wish it was paid for.

Reactions: freyadog

·
Registered
900 Posts
We've already been discussing this with my best friend and her hubby. We would double up both families to live in one larger home. We currently live in a larger place and could all live in this house. I've been hitting the thrift store and stocking up on jeans, sweatshirts, warm weather clothing for the kids, pjs when I can find them. I'll be storing larger sizes as soon as I get hubby to clear out the garage, we plan on having it ready by fall to hold a stockpile.

I'm stocking piling food, water, material, learning to use my sewing machine, teaching the girls how to use theirs. I plan on getting my best friend a used machine as a Christmas gift to teach her. We're getting rid of extra tvs, gonna cut back on our cable, buying toys and games for the kids that they can learn to play and use their imaginations.

Hubby and I have been talking about it and we'll start keeping some cash on hand, the goal is to keep about $1000 cash on hand. The kids and I are starting a garden, and we are homeschooling now. I'm keeping my kids close to me.

·
Registered
979 Posts
WOW - ya'll have great ideas. I have extra seeds and a stockpile - but not near enough. We are struggling financially and can't do much more.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts