Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been stocking up on dry food. Today I watched a clip of President Bush say that he was warned "the coming depression could be worse than the great depression". I don't understand and I don't want to panic about how my family would get through it. I just know that I would rather be prepared (plus I am saving money by stocking up food that we already eat) and feel safe.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
My dh started his new job today at Cargill. They are a slaughterhouse for beef. He wont be doing anything but electrical maintenance there- whew!

However, one of the benefits is that he can order some beef, poultry and fish packs at a discounted price. Once a month. I am planning on making a large amount of beef jerky, and sausage.

I also plan on canning some too. Canned beef is not a favorite, but could come in handy during a crisis.

·
Registered
660 Posts
This thread is really awesome. My friends and I (20 somethings) were just talking about this exact same thing. We were being competely serious. We were talking about a "group" of about 12 people living out in the country on one of our friends farm. We were discussing what everyone would be good at etc. And defintely security was one of the things that we were all worried about. This recession/depression coming up people are more likely to .... "take the law" into their own hands, KWIM? Thanks for all the ideas, now I have to go back and tell them what I learned!!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
My stock pile is currently at 4 months but I think there is more than 4 months food on it. On the 15th I will add another $150 worth to it.

HBA's need about another $30 to replenish them a bit.

I have $50 coming on the pet stockpile but need more like $100 this month. I will try ans swing it.

I feel safer every time I add to my stockpile knowing we WILL eat no matter what.

If you don't have a dry stockpile, even 2 months worth, please consider it.

It could make a job loss or sickness that much easier, with one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
444 Posts
For Y2K, and other "disasters" I started putting dry soup mixed in 20 oz. soda bottles. I use these to hand out to anyone in need - I have the cooking directions on a label on the bottle.

Nonfood items are the best barter things here, since so many of my community farm/garden/have livestock. So toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, aluminum foil, cigarettes are the best bets.

You forgot salt, peroxide, other medical supplies, and alcohol.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would need to do a few things, but I'm as ready as I can be at this point. If you are going to prepare, do it now! :)

I've done probably all of the things everyone has listed. There are somethings though that take practice so you can be ready before the time comes.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm starting to prepare. I've just seen too many friends and relatives who are living on the edge start to slide over. I had a cousin need to start going to the food pantry just this past week. I see how easy it is to go over the edge.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. Very informative.

To add to items for bartering purposes, I would include matches and perhaps brandy or whiskey, even if you don't drink yourself. Just something to think about. It might come in handy someday.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i refilled, trimmed the wicks, cleaned up real purdy, and hung my hanging oil lamps. I made sure they work well.

they were taken down sometime in last last ten years and never put back up.

look like this View attachment 16079

i also noticed that i am low on oil/kerosene. i used to get it at garden ridge pottery, but they don't carry it anymore.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I thought this needed bumped up. With the dollar possibly not being the worlds currency there is a large threat of hyperinflation here in the US. I was surprised to learn that at least one foreign country Amsterdam (people were already not accepting the dollar in some areas. Besides the higher food prices coming due to increased fuel prices. What are you all doing in preparation.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
They are no longer accepting the US dollar in many places here in Canada as well.

My preperations:

Stocking up on food
Stocking up on HBAs
Cutting out all "frivolous" spending
Moving to a less expensive place
Plannning a vegetable garden
Joining a food co-op again

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would love to join a food coop but our cheapest "package" here is 800.00 for this growing season.

On another note, does anyone have the potato soup mix ingredient list? I thought I had it bookmarked and have even searched and I can't find it.

Thanks!
Suzanne

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have been selling off some of my gold to pay up debt. I am still holding gold and silver coins and if I see a good deal on jewelry I still snap it up- bought a beautiful Tanzanite and diamond ring for $200 from the pawn shop. I also have begun gardening some.

·
Super Moderator
20,119 Posts
I'm wondering why people who say they would learn to do a while bunch of things they don't do now aren't doing it now. It's hard to learn a whole bunch of new stuff at once, especially if you're suddenly without resources to take a class, buy supplies, build equipment, etc. Why wait?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'm wondering why people who say they would learn to do a while bunch of things they don't do now aren't doing it now. It's hard to learn a whole bunch of new stuff at once, especially if you're suddenly without resources to take a class, buy supplies, build equipment, etc. Why wait?
Good point. Also when you have a perceived emergency you cannot get items, i still need to buy radioactive iodine- could not locate any during the Japan episode.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
i still need to buy radioactive iodine- could not locate any during the Japan episode.
What do you use the iodine for? I know I've read it but honestly can't remember?

Reactions: frugal-fannie

·
Registered
476 Posts
Stock up on long term food storage. Stock up on hygiene items, soaps, medicine. Make sure our family has rugged clothing. Keep up with stocking barter-able (not sure if it's a word) stuff : including alcohol, cigarrettes, etc. Continue self-reliance learning - books, practice, practice, practice! Make plans, then plans b though z! Prayer helps, too.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts