Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I've already posted on this thread but due to possible financial circumstances reposting again.

I am taking stock of the stockpile and renewing efforts for making SURE there is at least a 6 to 8 month supply of everything possible. Especially the more expensive items...coffee, TP, creamer, meat, frozen veggies etc.

I'm making sure that we have some some money put away every week to add to emergency fund which would be our "living fund" for day to day. Hopefully enough for 6 to 8 months worth of such until hubby could get early social security started coming in. No small feat believe me.

Getting things we may possibly need if this were to happen. Clothes, any household items etc.

Reactions: ruderring

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Something I have been doing lately is purchasing gift cards....I have some from Wal-Mart, the grocery store, the craft store. They are not huge amounts - $10-20....but they will sure come in handy if there is no money. I've also asked anyone who wonders what to buy me for a gift (not that people are beating down the door to buy me presents) to get me a Walmart gift card. I really am not a fan of Walmart ethically speaking, but you can get anything you might need there: food, HBAs, home items.... I figure it's the handiest place to get these from. These would also come in handy in a pinch to purchase a gift for someone or to just slip into a card.

Niko - praying for you.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Thank you Daisy...I appreciate it. One day I'll post about what's been going on the last year after we filed. Especially the last few months...Not good. Appointment with another ( new type ) attorney tomorrow morning at 9:30. It's far from over. Have a feeling it's just started. You'd think bankruptcy would be the end of it.

The gift cards are a good idea. I started asking for them in 2008 when this started. Walmart first choice. I have several now. Right...they can be used for anythng there.

Recently Publix had a coupon for $10 off a $50 gas card from a couple gas stations with a $50 purchase. Their gas is a couple cents higher but still $10 is a pretty good size savings since $50 dosen't fill up anyway. Be about 2 1/2 gallons free. Close. And whichever case scenario ( WW3 or loss of the business ) it's $50 in gas already paid for. Guess that's preparing....hadn't thought of that...the gift/gas cards..may pay to do a couple more if the deal comes along.

Just hope if this dosen't go our way that we have enough time to get the trailer finished...get the best living expenses amount put away we can and have a large enough stockpile to tide us over until either jobs ( don't think that will happen here ) or Social Security for him early. There are still no jobs. Me, if I walk across a parking lot by the time I hit the door I have to stop my hips are in so much pain. So we'll see...hope for the best ... prepare for the worst.

·
Super Moderator
20,115 Posts
I'm trying to understand the gift cards. Gifts cards can only be spent in one place. If the business where they can be spent fails, or if they change the rules about the cards, they may be worthless. If you have money instead, it can be spent anywhere for anything. It just seems to me cash that can be spent anywhere for anything you need is a better deal than a card only good for one place.

If the dollar fails, why would the gift cards be worth anything, since they represent dollars?

Just trying to understand.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Right now I am still paying off high interest debt and moving to zero interest if it is available. I have sold off gold but will probably buy more after I finish paying the high interest debt. I am still out of stocks, I am quite happy I missed another large downturn in the market and think there may be a larger downturn in the future. I am building the stockpile again and gardening. The homesteading section of the forum of FV has great advice. I would love to hear what other people are doing as this forum hasn't had an update for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
20,115 Posts
I'm not doing a whole lot. I've always been one to do a lot of stuff myself vs. hiring it done or whatever, and have also always made a lot of stuff out of nothing. So I feel I have a pretty good skillset to rely on if need be. It's not that I know everything by any means, just saying I have a reasonably good base of knowledge and skills already.

I am going to sharpen up my canning skills. I've canned tomatoes, pickles, jelly, and other simple stuff before, but have gotten away from that for years now. Lately I've been canning things I haven't canned before, and becoming more familiar with using a pressure canner. A big factor in wanting to do this is wanting healthier food, instead of being stuck with whatever is on the grocery store shelves. Part of it is saving money on things we use a lot of, like canned beans. Canning them myself should save money and help me avoid ingredients I'd rather not get too much of, like sodium. I'm also not happy that it's becoming difficult to find out where our food actually originates.

We built a small garden area this spring and are having good success with that so far this year. So now we're working on plans to build more garden area next year. We've been growing things we've never grown before, such as currants and ground cherries. So far, so good. Other crops have been less successful, but we're slowly learning what works for us and what doesn't and why. It's a good thing we're not waiting till we desperately need the food we're trying to grow. For us anyway, gardening isn't a skill we've been able to master in a single season. It's been years of trial and error to get us even this far along.

I'm also planning on setting up an indoor winter garden this year, and try to educate myself enough to be able to grow some veggies in the winter myself. After last year's bad weather and not being able to get decent produce while having to pay ridiculous prices for substandard produce, I'm determined to at least grow a few basics such as radishes, lettuce, and some other fast-growing crops. And we'll once again have tomatoes and peppers in our Aerogardens, with the addition of cucumbers. It'll be a fun winter while I learn a few more lessons about growing food in the middle of a dark, cold Minnesota winter.

I want to experiment more with sprouts, too, since they are a near-foolproof way to have fresh produce inexpensively, quickly, and easily.

·
Registered
708 Posts
my inheritance came in

and we caught up the bills....and funded an emergency fund......and i look forward to reading all these post to because...I have quite a bit left from the inheritance however i want to save it for emergencies....so i have decided its time to jump on the wagon and be as frugal as i can and i hope to be able to add money to what is left so that we can relax a little if the shtf....happens...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I expanded my garden to use all the space available to me and stocked up on seeds.

I reduced my monthly expenses as much as possible.

I stocked up on beans/grains/other bulk goods and spices, then learned to cook with them and avoid the grocery store for as long as possible. My goal is once a month for dairy. You can live out of your pantry without fresh cheese and sour cream, but I wouldn't want to :D

I kept an eye out for low prices on produce and kept the dehydrator running nonstop for a long time.

I splurged on a few items I thought would help like books on pickling and cooking with food storage, lots and lots of second hand canning jars, and a pasta machine.

I'm busy learning new skills...seed saving, canning, sewing (using a bolt of muslin I got using a 50% off coupon), even pulled out my old cross stitch supplies to save money and fill the hours netflix/movies used to.

I took advantage of the low interest rates and renegotiated my mortgage...I'm now down to a 15 year low interest mortgage as my only debt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I expanded my garden to use all the space available to me and stocked up on seeds.

I reduced my monthly expenses as much as possible.

I stocked up on beans/grains/other bulk goods and spices, then learned to cook with them and avoid the grocery store for as long as possible. My goal is once a month for dairy. You can live out of your pantry without fresh cheese and sour cream, but I wouldn't want to :D

I kept an eye out for low prices on produce and kept the dehydrator running nonstop for a long time.

I splurged on a few items I thought would help like books on pickling and cooking with food storage, lots and lots of second hand canning jars, and a pasta machine.

I'm busy learning new skills...seed saving, canning, sewing (using a bolt of muslin I got using a 50% off coupon), even pulled out my old cross stitch supplies to save money and fill the hours netflix/movies used to.

I took advantage of the low interest rates and renegotiated my mortgage...I'm now down to a 15 year low interest mortgage as my only debt.
Have you looked into the dehydrated cheese and sour cream? I've never used them so I won't vouch for them, but it might keep you out of the stores for even longer. ;)

I'm going to look into the dehydrated sour cream and buttermilk, since I don't use those items that often for cooking and they always spoil on me

·
Registered
900 Posts
Have you looked into the dehydrated cheese and sour cream? I've never used them so I won't vouch for them, but it might keep you out of the stores for even longer. ;)

I'm going to look into the dehydrated sour cream and buttermilk, since I don't use those items that often for cooking and they always spoil on me
I cook for one, so spoiling has been an issue for me. too. I use dry milk exclusively now, it tastes exactly the same to me.

Sour cream will be thin and runny so it's good for recipes but not for a topping. The cheese I have is a sauce and makes good mac & cheese, but again not good for all the mexican food and casseroles that cheap/pantry type cooking is going to lean towards. The freeze dried shreds is supposed to be good for a topping, but I'm too cheap to try it :D

Fresh sour cream and cheddar though will last pretty darn long in the fridge, so if I can get to my once a month shopping they will still work for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, I'm single too. :lol3: Maybe if I add more sour cream powder it would thicken better? I'll have to read up on it before getting some.

I've also frozen cheese when it's on sale. I normally buy it shredded but I noticed it seems to clump after thawing. I might try getting a block of cheese next time to freeze and shredding as needed. I also freeze milk.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I freeze cheese all the time. In the block it will crumble after you thaw it out but I don't find that to be that much of a problem as I usually use for shredding anyway.

·
Super Moderator
20,115 Posts
I freeze cheese all the time, too. Some of it gets crumbly, some doesn't. I can never remember which does or doesn't. Cheddar usually does. I'm using some $2/lb. colby-jack now that doesn't. I've never had a problem with shredded cheese clumping after thawing. I often use that without thawing it first.

I freeze buttermilk in those old ice trays with the handles you pull to loosen them, then put it in Ziploc bags in the freezer. It keeps a long time. Powdered buttermilk does not have the flavor and texture of fresh buttermilk.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have read through all the posts. Anything you are going to do differently since the beginning of this thread?
I want to do seed saving but I thought only you can save seeds from heirloom plants. GMO plants may produce seeds that won't reproduce. I have heirloom tomatoes but I am sure some other plants I have in my garden may be gmo plants. I have tried to avoid them as much as I can.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have read through all the posts. Anything you are going to do differently since the beginning of this thread?
I want to do seed saving but I thought only you can save seeds from heirloom plants. GMO plants may produce seeds that won't reproduce. I have heirloom tomatoes but I am sure some other plants I have in my garden may be gmo plants. I have tried to avoid them as much as I can.
You're right that the plants must be 'open pollinated' in order to save seed that will run true to the variety. Even regular hybrids won't work right. Not that you won't get a bean plant, for example, but it won't perform like a seed that was planted from a packet. You could save a few and see what happens next year....just make sure you don't depend on them totally! Maybe mark off a small plot and call it 'experimental'. LOL

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is a great thread. Over the past couple of years I have been doing many of the things you have all listed. It is difficult since I travel for work, but I still work hard at being frugal. I have been paying down debt and building a stockpile. If I can stay working through Aug 2012 I will be debt free except for mortgage!

My stockpile needs to be replenished... since I was never home I gave most of it to my 82 yr old handyman. God bless him. He and his wife live on practically nothing. My stockpile made a huge difference in their lives, and I can replenish since I'm working.

Autumn 2009 I had glass block windows installed in my basement. Autumn 2010 I purchased a wood burning insert and had it installed in my fireplace. Each made a HUGE difference in my life and my heating bills.

For each of you that mentioned wanting to get a fireplace insert -- do it now if you can. I have gas heat and since I got wood burning insert, it was eligible for tax credit. Had to pay about $3,000 for insert and installation, but got $1,000 credit on my tax!
Wanted to start a veggie garden this summer, but was away for a job... have started my planting beds though, and I've always composted for my flowers, so have some of that going.

Learned how to make window quilts on FV, and have them on my windows in winter. Thanks for that one!

I wish you all the best on your preparations! If we find ourselves in a serious recession/depression we'll be prepared to live as comfortably as we can for as long as we can. That gives me peace of mind, and that is what I wish for each of you. Peace of mind for you and your families.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My BF and I have moved in with his family :fence:. This is not because of economic downturn but so we can pay off debt and save for a house. I wouldn't want to live with them long-term but it's a good practice run in case things turn for the worse. BF and I have trimmed down all unnecessary expenses to reach our goals faster. We don't go out or dine out, eat very frugally and have a small veggie patch.

Apart from that we have done nothing. My MIL is one of those stick-your-head-in-the-sand people she'd probably laugh at me if I started talking about any serious stockpiling. I just point at all the gloom and doom reports in media which are bad enough to give you indigestion :nerv2:.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts