Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He works 4 10's Monday through Thursday. He works about every 8th weekend and gets the following Monday and Tuesday off. He got in touch with a guy that he used to work for and he said he could guarantee him 10 hours a week and possibly more! So he started today.

I started working PT at the beginning of the year at our local independent motorcycle shop. I earn money on the books and it is used for parts, service, and maintenance on our Harleys. I also get a nice employee discount. So that has freed up some of our regular income.

We need to do some work on the house and don't want to go into debt major to do it. So we are going to save all of hubby's PT earnings. When we get about half of what we need, we are going to have the work done and then pay the balance off in as short of a period of time as possible.

All of my pet/housesitting money goes into savings also. It is sporadic but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YES! He works Monday through Thursday 4-10s. He is off Friday through Sunday. Approximately every 8 weeks he has to work a weekend and gets the following Monday and Tuesday off.

I sell online, do pet/housesitting, answer surveys online, just started Mystery shopping, and have a part-time job at an independent motorcycle shop. We need to do some house repairs and don't want to go into major debt to do it.

Hubby will be eligible to retire in 5-1/2 years. We are debt free except for the mortgage. We HOPE to have that paid off around the time he retires.

Every bit DOES help :) Congrats to your hubby! Is this on top of another full time job?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Congratulations Mary! It sounds like both of you have a very full life and you're very happy. Way to go on all the side jobs for both of you.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Niko,

It has helped immensely getting hubby on board with saving, not spending, paying off bills! I have been selling online for years. I started adding side jobs slowly to make sure I could keep up with everything and nothing suffer.

I also was busy until recently handling mom's estate. That is all done except filing the final income tax return for 2012.

Hubby has been saying he was going to get a part-time job for years; but never followed through. This time, I think he did it because he got tired of me saying we didn't have the money to do extra things.

I love all the things I do to make extra money! That has made a huge difference in my every day life - liking what I do. I worked as an accountant for years and I HATED IT! I am happier, healthier, and have a better outlook on life. We will never be rich; but we sure aren't the poorest people around - LOL!

Congratulations Mary! It sounds like both of you have a very full life and you're very happy. Way to go on all the side jobs for both of you.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hubby worked a full day Monday and Tuesday, a half day yesterday (Saturday) and has already worked at least a half day today at his part-time job. He worked Tuesday through Thursday at his full time job and was off Friday.

I worked full days Wednesday through Saturday this week and they already told me to come in Tuesday morning. I am taking all the time the can get. I figure business will slow down during the winter and I can rest then! I am off today and Monday. I have been to the grocery store today and washed clothes. Tomorrow I might be able to laze around. OH, and I am packing and shipping orders from my online business Monday through Saturday, answer surveys several days a week, and not had much luck with mystery shopping this past week.

I will be checking up Monday or Tuesday for a possible petsitting job.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is amazing and good work to the both of you! I have the same hours as your dh, M-Th and finding a 2nd job is almost as tough as a 1st job. Pay down that debt and you guys are both well on your way.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Things are going well with hubby's PT job. He has been working every Saturday and Sunday (half days pretty much). He is going to take this Saturday off and will be off on Monday (Labor Day).

My online sales and PT job at the motorcycle shop are going great. I also have quite a few pet/housesitting jobs scheduled between now and November.

The home improvement fund is growing! Hopefully we will have enough to get started in October or November (cooler weather in Houston Texas).

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That's fantastic savvy_sniper! Great news! :clap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts