Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby has played WoW for several years now. To help make our budget work Hubby decided to cancel his subscription. He figured with Cataclysm coming out this was a good time to do so, so the money wouldn't been spent on the new release.

I know this was hard for him (it was hard for DS to as he was a tag along player). I'm sad he/they had to make this sacrifice and at the same time so proud that he could make the sacrifice.

Big Hug to Hubby and our son :hug2:

Thought to ponder: Where do online characters go when you cancel the game?

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
That was very nice of him. No clue where characters go. I've never played the game and wont as I'm not a gamer. It kind of freaks me out to be honest as I know two people that live their lives around WOW.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
That was very nice of him. No clue where characters go. I've never played the game and wont as I'm not a gamer. It kind of freaks me out to be honest as I know two people that live their lives around WOW.
One of our former employees used to play WoW until all hours of the night and of course couldn't get to work on time.

When layoffs came around, he was let go.

Recently, someone retired and while he was great at the job and was considered for it, he ultimately did NOT get called back because of his record.

I could not bring myself to make a monthly payment to play a game.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
One of our former employees used to play WoW until all hours of the night and of course couldn't get to work on time.

When layoffs came around, he was let go.

Recently, someone retired and while he was great at the job and was considered for it, he ultimately did NOT get called back because of his record.

I could not bring myself to make a monthly payment to play a game.

I totally get what you are saying plus some with the people I am thinking of. One hasn't worked in forever because it interferes.

NOT that I meant that at all with the OP's hubby. It was really nice of him to give up something he loved for the good of the budget. Can you play on a limited basis for free? I once paid for a month of Winster until I found out you could play free!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've known some people who spend more time in their game life than in their real life. They've lost relationships, jobs, failed out of school because of that game. It makes me very sad to see things like that happen.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If he's played for a long enough period of time, he can actually SELL his account. I had a friend from HS recently sell his WoW account for hundreds of dollars. It's amazing what people will pay for the accounts. I'm not really sure how you go about doing it, but I'm sure G00Gle can help :)

Edit: WoW Accounts for Sale, Buy WoW Accounts, World of Warcraft Accounts To give you an idea of what his might go for, and if he's able to do it.

Reactions: Russ

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yep, it might ease the pain of knowing it cost $25/month for however long LOL.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
719 Posts
LOL. Apparently there are WoW junkies out there that will spend $400 for their fix. It's really just as sad as drug addiction....not that your hubby would be a drug dealer for selling his account Imagine :lol: Just that I can't believe people are actually willing to buy "seasoned" accounts for that much!

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
Hugs for Hubby! As a former long time player of another game, I know what it feels like to give it up. But he couldn't have done it at a better time, changes to the game will be buggy and chaotic at first, and probably frustrating until it all gets worked out.

His character file will remain on the server forever, if he feels he wants to/can afford to pick it up again in the future.

I believe selling his account/character violates the Terms of Service. If he's caught he could be banned from the game. Just something to look into first...

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Technically, I don't think they sell the account/character. I think they sell their 'time' invested in the game and give the account/character over. ;) Like one of those old flea markets that won't sell you a gun...you buy bullets and you get a free gun!

Congrats to hubby on making the sacrifice. It's not easy to do those types of things.

·
19,119 Posts
Very impressive move by your DH!!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Selling characters and gold or any online item including accounts violates the terms of service and the spirit of the game.

Hubby would have never bought any game item with real money and he would not sell it. It is a very black and white area for him.

He was very good at balancing the game and real life. It was just time for it to go and it is/was hard. Kind of like if a lady decided to give up crafting or scrapbooking etc.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well props to him for abiding by the rules then. I'd be SOOO tempted to sell it. I wonder how people manage to get away with it....you'd think they would be able to tell that the account was bought/sold when the IP/Mac address changes, but then again...if you move across the country it would also change. So maybe that's why they don't/can't do anything about it? I don't know...I've never played one of those types of games hehe. I wish one of my friends would convince her BF that it was time to get rid of it....they are both unemployed, he's been unemployed since fall of 2009 and she's been using the small amount of money she had saved to keep his uber-expensive cable internet and his WoW account up and running. Now that he's gone back to school, guess what some of his student loan money is going towards? It's ridiculous :shrug2:

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well props to him for abiding by the rules then. I'd be SOOO tempted to sell it. I wonder how people manage to get away with it....you'd think they would be able to tell that the account was bought/sold when the IP/Mac address changes, but then again...if you move across the country it would also change. So maybe that's why they don't/can't do anything about it? I don't know...I've never played one of those types of games hehe. I wish one of my friends would convince her BF that it was time to get rid of it....they are both unemployed, he's been unemployed since fall of 2009 and she's been using the small amount of money she had saved to keep his uber-expensive cable internet and his WoW account up and running. Now that he's gone back to school, guess what some of his student loan money is going towards? It's ridiculous :shrug2:
WoW actually has investigation teams that investigate this stuff.

A friend of my son's bought son gold when he was 12 years old. When he was thirteen they finally caught the people that sold the stuff to him and he was banned from the game by the Blizzard company. Sadly his father tried to make a case that he should not be punished by the company for his actions.

Some of the characters that are being sold are stolen. One time Hubby was hacked and someone was in the possess of moving the items and characters to another account. He told the company right away and they took a few weeks to investigate and when they decided that he had done no wrong they restored his characters back and he took stronger anti hack measures.

I think those that sell can be prosecuted under the law but I'm not sure on that. I believe they has been successful in getting damages from some big time sellers.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
An EULA isn't a law. I doubt you can't be prosecuted unless something that violates the EULA actually violates the law as well. The worst they can do is ban you.

My husband and I both have accounts and we play together. There's always horror stories about how that game hooks people, but wow has 11 million subscribers. Statistically, you're always going to find a few people that can't handle their gaming. It has less to do with the game and more to do with the people. When I think back to the people I know that have trouble limiting their gaming, they were never the most level headed, balanced individuals. People act like wow turns you into some kind of slobbering fool the moment you log in and it's definitely not the case.

In regards to what happens to old characters, they're kept around and deleted in a cycle. If he had high level characters he could probably log in a year from now and they'd still be there. Low level characters get wiped more frequently.

Good for him for making that sacrifice though. We stop playing periodically when we don't have time or when money gets tight. I'm planning on letting our subscription lapse when he deploys next time.

My husband went to bed early last night so that he could get up at midnight when cataclysm went live. It was the closest a 30 year old man is ever going to get to waiting up for Santa. :laugh:

Reactions: danni and imagine

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't mean for this to turn into a moral discussion.

I'm proud of Hubby (and DS) and sad for them too.

He has also given up soda at work. He almost literally spends no money. $5 pocket change can last a time for a long while.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I didn't mean for this to turn into a moral discussion.

I'm proud of Hubby (and DS) and sad for them too.

He has also given up soda at work. He almost literally spends no money. $5 pocket change can last time for a long while.
I know, I'm just saying. Whenever the subject of Wow comes up everyone kind of lowers their had in sadness like someone just died. "Oh those poor people, stuck in their video game world." :laugh:

Really, you should be proud of your husband. It sounds likes you've got a keeper. If things get better for you later and he wants to play, he can use his old account information and all his characters will most likely be there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.