Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not just talking 5-10 cents....I'm talking $2. At Sam's Club....25# of flour is $2 higher than 2 weeks ago...so is Coke 32 pk....chex Mix was $1 more (going to be deleting the last 2 items from our budget except for special occasions).....went to HEB and #10 hamburger went up $2..its now 19.99...milk is up .20...tortillas are up .20....nearly evrything that I bought there had a price increase......went to Walfart to get dog food...we usually buy the #44 bag of Ol Roy for 15.96......well...they no longer sell a #44 lb bag - its now a #40 bag for 16.97...gggrr. The rate of these price increases have left me dumbfounded....

·
Registered
221 Posts
I hear you. Yesterday, we went to the store to get some meat. I about passed out in the meat section.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a week ago my room mate told that that he heard on the CBC Radio that the food giants here in Canada are saying that food prices are going up 20%! We discussed it and decided to expand the vegetable garden this summer and to add beans to see if we can grow them here. Don't know what else we can do other than try to stockpile as much of what we can before the prices start soaring.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
I don't want to be alarmist....but when my hubby says this morning.....the price of groceries is really going to go up high.... because of the rising cost of diesel fuel ...now that hit me hard.
He has BEEN paying attention.

I know first hand the prices are going up. I see it everytime I go shopping. The other day I was in our Super Walmart and I was not sure if I was going to laugh or cry at the prices. I only went in there to buy dog food, and I ended up with only 3 grocery items. My hubby only goes once in awhile shopping with me.

What drove home the point this morning was our load of log length wood we just had delivered. When we asked about getting a load, we had heard the price was $ 600. We got charged $ 650 today because of the big jump in diesel fuel here recently. The man said it cost $ 110 for the fuel to move ONE load of logs. Go to the woods, get the load, then deliver to customer, and then drive back home. We asked for a second load of logs ASAP. Before the price climbs any higher. That should give us enough wood for 2 winters. Logs here, are better than money in the bank to us. Wood is our only heating fuel.

And I keep hammering home, the fact, we do have 2 acres.
The garden better be LOTS bigger this year.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I agree they are crazy Lady, there was not one thing in our flyers this week that was within our budget with the exception of broccoli rabe, which seems like a strange sale item to me. But it will be what I buy for vegetables next time I shop.

If we did not have the option of 2 food thrift stores around here we'd be in BIG trouble. LOL! Heck, we all ready are in trouble, I'm just trying to work it out each week.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I had to buy milk the other day and it was almost 5$
Thanks for the warning.......

We have usually been cheaper here for milk....but it had gone past $2 a gallon the last time I went....over a week ago.........so I will expect $2.50 or more this time...........and that was at the cheapest store. Others are pushing $4........knowing if you come in for other things you will also buy your milk there.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I hate that prices for milk seem to be so high other places but not here. It makes me wish I could send you all milk. We use less than a gallon a week (mostly baking and on cereal) but it's still really low here (don't be too jealous because other items are ridiculously high, like the $2 I just paid for a SINGLE tomato). Aldi finally raised their price of milk from .99 to $1.19/gal, due to fuel increases to get it to the store. We must just have a lot of cows here in Texas. . .

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am worried too, have been talking to/with DH regarding the price jump, I am going to review my shopping list later, possibly stock up on items like: rice, pasta, flour, oil, sugar, dried herbs & seasonings. DH is working on expanding our veg planting area, adding about another 20-30 sq ft, that'll give us about 100 sq ft, (I know, very small), plus some containers for now.

We don't drink milk, only for cooking. But we drink almond milk & rice milk, those are expensive too. I'm going to check on the recipes using evaporated skim milk as substitute.

I need to learn how to make bread (without a bread machine).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't want to be alarmist....but when my hubby says this morning.....the price of groceries is really going to go up high.... because of the rising cost of diesel fuel ...now that hit me hard.
Diesel prices are part of it, but it's worse than that. Most folks don't understand that our entire agriculture industry is based on crude oil.

Our fertilizer is made from oil. They take light hydrocarbons, crack it to make hydrogen, combine the hydrogen with nitrogen in the air to make ammonia, and then convert that to urea granules. These represent the bulk of our nitrogen based fertilizers. We are taking oil out of the ground, converting it to fertilizer, and spreading it on our fields.

Our pesticides are made with oil.

Active ingredients were once distilled from natural substances; now they are largely synthesized in a laboratory. Almost all are hydrocarbons derived from petroleum.
The fuel for the tractors, combines, and other farm equipment runs on oil (diesel).

The fuel for the trucks, trains, and ships that transport the food are based on oil (diesel).

The refrigeration equipment to keep the foods fresh in transit and at the stores are based on oil (diesel and power generation).

Unless we can figure out food production that does not depend so heavily on oil, we will always be at the mercy of world oil prices.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate that prices for milk seem to be so high other places but not here. It makes me wish I could send you all milk. We use less than a gallon a week (mostly baking and on cereal) but it's still really low here (don't be too jealous because other items are ridiculously high, like the $2 I just paid for a SINGLE tomato). Aldi finally raised their price of milk from .99 to $1.19/gal, due to fuel increases to get it to the store. We must just have a lot of cows here in Texas. . .
where in texas are you located?? We're in Corpus Christi & its now 2.68 a gallon - wish we had an aldis. All we have is heb, walfart & sunharvest (higher there)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I go to price rite around here(boston). I started going to a meat market for my meats, alot cheaper. I also had to increase my food budget to 400 a month for 4 people, two teen included in that.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Ugh...our Aldis gallon milk...plain old 2% is $3.09. A month ago it was $2.99 so not going to complain over the 10cent jump. But isn't it amazing how both stores in the US can be that much different...one place $1.19 and another $3.09. And Florida has cows out the yazoo...both meat and dairy.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We're seeing it and feeling it as well between groceries and the pumps.

Sounds like I need to make another Costco trip before prices go up anymore. Still working on that 1 year supply of food. :sigh:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I was watching a segment on TV about a week ago. The 2% to 5% that is supposed to be the increase by the end of the year is bunk as we all know.. It has went up that much and more since the beginning of the year.

The man went back one year on potatoes, butter and half dozen other things...he told how much of an increase each had went up over the course of the year from Feb last year to Feb this year. Most all had went up 20 to 35%. So where this 2 to 5% is coming from is a wonder.

Due to finances for the last year and a half....up until a month ago we had relied alot on stockpile I had built over a year. I hadn't been on a "major" shop for close to a year. Just picking stuff up...replenish necessaries ..few sales items...in and out mostly. I went to Walmart expecting to spend $150 or close...$204 before I left. I could see while shopping that everything had went up and a ton of things 50cents each...some more...sure wasn't expecting over $200.

A bottle of Aleve that I bought a year ago for $9.99 was $4 higher in itself. Ben Gay ( my best friend ) was $1 more.

5% is 5cents on the dollar....that is hardly 5 cents on the dollar.
I don't know where they get that and they ( news, internet etc ) are still saying it.

We're lucky to have an Aldis open about 3 months ago...That is the first place I stop. After that comes WalMart. Both are in other town about 20 miles away so gas comes into consideration or a combined trip to doctor etc. Other than that is Publix on the way home from work...no extra gas and always BOGO and NEVER argue over coupons.

Since Walmart raised their prices there isn't hardly any difference in their price and Publix so Publix will get my business first. Especially since WalMart wants to argue over every little detail.

I'm back on a major stockup and I'm buying at today's sale price. Dosen't matter that something on sale is 25cents higher on sale now than a year ago. It's not going down, only going up. The sale price we gripe about today a year from now we'll be saying, " Should've bought a ton of it when it was on sale back then cause now it's 50cents higher...

Working on my major list now. Collecting any coupons I can use and will continue sale shopping.

Anyone remember the truckers strike, I believe in 70's because of gas prices? Not fun at all. Luckily at that time my ex mother in law had a HUGE garden, freezer and canned or don't know what we would have done...shelves empty or close...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Went to Costco yesterday and spent the whole time thinking that Meijers was cheaper on everything. Spent $96. on a few things. Flour and rice were very high. IMHO.
I do find Meijers to be the most reasonable for many of the things I get, including organic. With our allergies , I have to be real careful and have been blessed to have Meijers for many of those things.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.