Frugal Village Forums banner

hummingbird feeder question..My ******* neighbor..lol ;)

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mrscornbread 
#1 ·
I was enjoying many hummingbord visits each day, but then the big bush lady neighbor noticed I had a feeder. (mentioned it in conversation) and next thing ya know she puts up several of her own. Do you see where I am going with this? LOL
I am barely getting any. :( I seem to be attracting some orioles though. :toothy:
So, what's a heartbroken hummingbird lover to do? I honestly don't feel like being in a seed war with her too.

I have a few stories that I have not shared too. LOL I don't want to sound so terribly petty, but yet it's somewhat comical and entertaining I guess too.

#2 ·
Well get more feeders, or binoculars I guess. Or sneek over to her yard everynight and empty her feeders out.:fuming:
But I am a meany. My neighbor use to have a dog that jumped over her fence all the time and get into other garbages, and never beleived it. I called the police a few times but by the time they got there he jumped back. SO I whould grab the dog and go ring there bell, at any time I found the dog out. And I was feeding a newborn so I would check if the dog was out after I fed the baby and then go ring the bell at 2 am for a few days. Then the fence got taller.

#3 ·
Sorry Sara. Your neighbor is quite the character.:toothy: I'm glad you are taking this with a grain of salt. I guess she must really admire you! Start planting more plants hummingbirds love and they'll be back. Then she'll cut that bush down to make room for plants that hummingbirds like. See where I'm going with this?:) You'll then be surrounded with beautiful flowers and hummingbirds, orioles and butterflies galore and NO bush.

What does this woman look like? I picture her to look like the lady in the far side cartoons.

#4 ·
She's actually quite fit and active for a woman of 68 yrs of age. She is quite nice, but there are just many things to talk about. lol

I'll tell another little tale...

Ok everyone has seen the big bush. Well between our yards is a section of pine trees too. Now Gabe and I started clipping them up and cleaning under them so I can plant a hosta garden area.

She removed a ton of weeds and pachysandra that she didn't want anymore, but instead of throwing it away...she put it between our yards in the pine tree area. (right on the property line) Now on her view on her side she planted flowers and those little white painted metal edging fences. So she sees her little flowers. On my side not only will all that "stuff" be growing...it's what I see!

Or....
How about she had mulch dumped, but on our property in the side yard, so yeah you guessed it. OUR grass will be dead. Meanwhile, she's planting all new grass on her sideyard grrrr This is no small pile of mulch either. :(

Ok, I am done whining. I know there are far greater concerns in the world, but neighbor stuff if funny to talk about. lol

#5 ·
At least you don't have the neighbor from hell I do....first thing she did when she moved in was took round-up to my fence line...you gessed it...killed all my small plants...and she's gotten worse ...this woman was litteraly ran out of 2 neighborhoods....

What I would do is just plant things the hummingbirds like...oh by the way they are quite the territoral little things..they will chase other hummingbirds that try to feed..so your birds will be back...
I had to put a feeder on the front side of my house as well as the back side...just to give some a chance to sneek some food...

#6 ·
Okay, time for a HUGE fence!!!!!

First, put up a couple more hummingbird feeders and they'll come. Also get a couple of Oriole feeders (they like different food) and their feeders are a bit different and they'll come there as well. They are wonderful birds to watch. All our neighbours here have hummingbird feeders, and they birds come and go.

Next, find out the best flowers hummingbirds like and plant lots and lots of them. Hummingbirds won't come to the feeders once the flowers are in full force!!

Then bake a huge batch of cookies and take them over to her. How about if you made them in a form of a hummingbird :toothy: Take them over to her and explain to her what you want to do with your yard. It sounds like what you want to do, she is going to want to do too. Just don't tell her which flowers the hummingbirds really like. :toothy:

How can you tell I've had a couple of neighbours like that in my lifetime as well. Good thing you can chuckle about it!!

#7 ·
Sara, hang something red, like a nicve piece of red cloth from the bottom of your feeder. It helps attract birds. You can alos hang a large red silk flower too. That is what I do to initially get their attention when I put a new feeder up in a new place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.