Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hurricane season is coming into the most active part...usually...so be sure you have everything you need. Hurricane guides are free usually at grocery stores or you can go online and get the info.

Remember, 3 gallons (at least) of water a day for each person for 7 days. I know, that's a LOT of water! 1 gallon for drinking, one for washing, one for cooking and other things. Get some 5 gallon buckets and fill them with water for flushing toilets. I'm going to use rainwater for this. I just cleaned out my two large plastic half-casks in the backyard, and I'm keeping them chlorinated but letting them fill with rainwater for use with toilets, etc. They'll fill quickly now during the rainy season.

Also, you can get one of those large, flat stoppers and use that and caulk to completely stop up your bathtub drain, and fill that with water also.

Be sure to get chlorine bleach! You'll need it to clean, and maybe to add to drinking water to make it drinkable. It's also a great disinfectant for cuts in a pinch...burns, but no germs will survive!

Make sure that first aid kit is filled, and that you have tools ready to take with you should you have to go. Remember...LOAD THE WATER IN THE CAR FIRST! If you can't eat, you HAVE to drink!! REMEMBER KATRINA...people were dying of dehydration. Don't let it happen to you.

I've been through this. When Charley hit our area, I had everything sitting by the front door, and the first thing I grabbed and started throwing in the truck was the water. Next food, then first aid supplies, then and only then, clothes . Of course, it goes without saying that we had our important papers with us...insurance, etc.

It's been a quiet season, but it only takes ONE storm to destroy your whole world.

P.S. Buy some quality toilet paper to put in your survival kit. If you're without water and electric, it will be a small luxury worth the price. DON'T FORGET THE SUNSCREEN!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Really good tips! :tay:

We don't live in an area affected by hurricanes (although we will sometimes get a little rain when a storm hits the gulf states hard), but we have other weather to prep for.

Erin and Dean seemed to motivate lots of people to prep according to what I was seeing on the news.

How is everyone in hurricane areas doing on preps?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts