Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When gas first started heading into crazy-expensive territory, I read an article in the Reader's Digest about Hypermiling. I'd never heard of it, but discussed it with hubby and he'd heard lots.

I secretively began implementing the methodology they said helped and now I get at least 20-30 miles more to the tank............so I thought I would post this link here along with a few of the topics you can find there:

Hypermiling : Ways to decrease your fuel consumption

First (and most important) step: Start recording your gas mileage. Easiest way? Use your trip odometer. Method to check your MPG

Second step: Do you drive agressively and not know it?
>> The third step: How long are you sitting still at red lights?

>> The fourth step: Keeping moving in traffic congestion

>> The fifth step: Slowly accelerate after stops

>> The sixth step: Your cruise control saves gas (but not by using it they way you might think)

http://www.hypermiling.com/car-mpg.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ETA: I would have used better formatting to make the above post more legible but none of the buttons would work. Sry!

·
Registered
886 Posts
i try doing that, if i stay a steady 40-60mph or no more or about 3000 revs i make my petrol last a few extra days, i also coast down hills, and up them if i have the speed i can go a good mile with it out of gear and just rolling, i dont go too fast tho when im doing that.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Just a little fun here.

Sorry... but I JUST had to comment.
Being from the Boston area and all....

did you know that in my part of the world the traffic lights are situation so that you ARE in a red light? yes... they are timed so that you go from red light to red light... it reduces the 'speeding'

>> The fourth step: Keeping moving in traffic congestion
YIKES! come on! if I do that... I'll rear end someone.. causing me to increase my insurance rate... pay a $500 deductible. IT would cost me more.
And.. there is no way I can control what OTHERS in front of me do- if they have slowed to a stop.. so must I. It is the law of physics.

>> The fifth step: Slowly accelerate after stops
YIKES! nobody from Boston? if you accelerate slowly, someone cuts in front of you... thereby pushing you back.. keep doing that in the stop and go traffic... you'll soon realize that you're further back and going nowhere fast (not to mention the people behind you are now in a rage because you are letting people in all the time)... causing you to actually use more gas.

>> The sixth step: Your cruise control saves gas (but not by using it they way you might think)
Eh! all that turning on and off to control the cruise as the article suggested... might as well use your gentle foot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry you're from Boston, but these strategies will work well for those of us not in major metropolitan areas.

I still have white hairs from riding in a taxi from Logan to our hotel. I believe we were travelling Mach 3 - during the Big Dig. With a crazy man driving who babbled in Russian and English and cackled aloud occasionally. It was cold and icy.

We did, however, really enjoy the science museum.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you know that in my part of the world the traffic lights are situation so that you ARE in a red light? yes... they are timed so that you go from red light to red light... it reduces the 'speeding'
We have something like that down here. It's called Law Enforcement :whistle:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry... but I JUST had to comment.
Being from the Boston area and all....

Actually, most timed lights are set up so that if you go the speed limit or just below, you will hit green every light. When i lived in San Diego there was a strech of road the was like this. Most people would speed from light to light and then have to wait.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sorry you're from Boston
:D :lol: You should move to Indy Colts territory. Driving is much kinder and gentler here... (Sorry... Couldn't resist a little dig at a presumed Patriots fan! :D )

Back on subject... I call this type of driving "driving like an old lady." I have started doing this alot lately and keep an eye on the little digital mph dealy that displays on my dashboard. I got 73 miles to the gallon once (very, very briefly) when I was going downhill on an interstate off ramp. Would love to get that kind of mileage all of the time!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've been hypermiling for about a year and can consistently eek out over 40 MPG in my Yaris!

My favorite tactic is pushing in the clutch and coasting down hills when I can.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Guys!! Come on! I was having fun!!
Law enforcement. LOL! They might be around.. somewhere. But the lights are ALWAYS there!

If I could take a movie clip of getting from one light to the next... I'm telling ya! it's set up to stop and go. really!

If you WERE going the speed limit.. you WILL sit at the lights.
If you SPEED real fast and turbo... you MIGHT make the next light.

Anyway... I'm sorry I'm from the Boston area too! I want to move so badly... but I'm stuck.

I do think these are great ideas ... truly.
And definitely can save on gas if done.
I'm trapped.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys!! Come on! I was having fun!!
Law enforcement. LOL! They might be around.. somewhere. But the lights are ALWAYS there!

If I could take a movie clip of getting from one light to the next... I'm telling ya! it's set up to stop and go. really!

If you WERE going the speed limit.. you WILL sit at the lights.
If you SPEED real fast and turbo... you MIGHT make the next light.

Anyway... I'm sorry I'm from the Boston area too! I want to move so badly... but I'm stuck.

I do think these are great ideas ... truly.
And definitely can save on gas if done.
I'm trapped.
Aw, honey, I just couldn't resist. Boston traffic was truly horrific. What is funny is that Chicago traffic - while just as heavy - wasn't nearly as bad. I thought at the time that the city planners should be fired. Or made to drive all day long through BigDig areas (and the airport).

I really took an instant dislike to Boston, but we were there to take DS to Children's Hospital so there was a stress factor.The folks at the hotel in Cambridge however were soooooooo nice. Egyptian, I think. They found out we were there for the hospital and absolutely pampered us. Then when they found we were from the south and were FREEZING our buns off, room service appeared with hot chocolate whenever we came in from the cold. We watched the Harvard rowing team practice from our balcony. That was cool. But once in Nashville, I had DH stop at the first Cracker Barrel for some GRITS, BISCUITS and SWEET TEA!

Move to Kentucky! We'll go thrifting, gardening and CVSing! C'mon down! (If you're a conservative, I'm sure we can arrange a midnight rescue! LOL - JUST KIDDING! kinda. lol)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boston...yes!

"Big Dig" -- Latin for "grossly expensive project that will never be completed. :D

I grew up in Bridgewater. ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Bridgewahda!
You must be a mean tough guy!

The big dig... I am COMPLETELY embarassed about. But whada'ya spect? The corruption is flagrant. :ugh:

What government puts the mob in charge of a gazillion dollar project? Hmmmm?

I say~ Beantown got what they deserved. Dumbarses. They'll be paying for this mess LONG after I move south.

All that... for a tunnel. One stink'n leak'n tunnel.
and there's still a traffic snarl.
oi vey

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Since over 95% of my driving is local it doesn't work for me. At least 65% of my small town has speed limits of 25 miles per hours (yes! heck I almost have to drive with my brakes on...even flat coasting I can easily hit 35) Tons of red lights and stop signs.
The rest of the speed limits vary between 30-40 mph. Most stray dogs can out-trot the cars. Life just crawls around here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Since gas hit $4.19/gal yesterday.....I am definately trying out some of these principles.

My efforts include:coasting. down hills, prior to making a turn, over the overpass before I enter the highway, between lights that are poorly times.

I am trying not to speed. Slow take offs. Thinking of braking as the enemy! Allowing extra space between the car ahead of me and my vehicle, so I can coast if they brake.

Hopefully I can get an extra day's worth of gas out of hese changes. I currently fill up every 5 work days.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I read the article when my RD came in the mail... my first thought... "For the love of cheese, I am NOT turning the car off to drift around corners!" :lol:

I have to toss in my :2cents: ... I live in Massachusetts too... I love my quiet lil area, but I too have to drive in to Boston for things like... the hospitals!

I drove in the other day... over the river, through the woods by way of the tunnels, Tobin and traffic! I finally get to the doctors... "Why is your blood pressure so high? Is that normal?" :thud:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
....the hospitals!

I drove in the other day... over the river, through the woods by way of the tunnels, Tobin and traffic! I finally get to the doctors... "Why is your blood pressure so high? Is that normal?" :thud:

LMAO!!!

When you come in... won't you let me know? I'm at MGH. I'll treat you to some coffee or tea.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Move to Kentucky! We'll go thrifting, gardening and CVSing! C'mon down! (If you're a conservative, I'm sure we can arrange a midnight rescue! LOL - JUST KIDDING! kinda. lol)
Is this a true invite?! I've heard that Kentucky is a beautiful state.
I've only flown over it. Low enough to see some mountains... and VILLAGES!

Your post was pretty funny!

Anytime you want to (have to) come to Boston... Paleeese! let me know! I'll show you around.. house you... and basically be frugal together! lol!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is this a true invite?! I've heard that Kentucky is a beautiful state.
I've only flown over it. Low enough to see some mountains... and VILLAGES!

Your post was pretty funny!

Anytime you want to (have to) come to Boston... Paleeese! let me know! I'll show you around.. house you... and basically be frugal together! lol!
Of course it's a true invite! We'd love for you to leave occupied territory! LOL

J/K anyone from the area, but it is a whole other world up there. I'm diabetic now and have to order unsweet tea (I Splenda it up, though) - but to not be able to order sweet tea in a restaurant is just barbaric!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts