Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never actually expected to see a large difference in the electric bill. I was thinking 20-30 bucks. Welp....got my electric bill today and it was 53.00 :hat: ........LAST MONTH it was .....ARE YOU READY 175.00..............I made sure that it was read and not just itemized. I am just floored at the difference this site has made in being frugal...I can't stop shaking my head.:cheer4:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow that's a huge difference, you did great! How did you do it?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am not exactly sure. We put everything possible on those electric bars(dont know what you call them) and turn them off when we are finished in a room (ie) watching tv with vcr/dvd player. unplugged everything that was not being used (extra tvs/lamps etc.)unplugged all the kitchen appliances not in use. cooking more than one meal at a time in the oven. using my convection oven for smaller meals and baking biscuits. filled water jugs up and placed in freezers(2) in empty spots. used my crockpots almost daily instead of the elec. stove. I honestly don't know. All I know is that following the advise in this forum has rocked my clock. I am just so thrilled that I can hardly sit still. Needless to say my husband was flabergasted.
Barbara

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow all I can say is that's awesome, I do almost everything you do, normally our bill is around $50 a month, if I could get it lower it would be a miracle but if I cant I can mange with $50 a month. Great job!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Now that is amazing!! I keep trying to get my husband to use those power strips and unplug them when we're not using the stuff. Ain't happenin' lol! I read somewhere that the "phantom drain" is like 75% of your usage. Yikes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Holy cow! That's awesome. I think I'll be starting that program right away. 'Cause summer is a-coming and here you can't get away without a/c.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Your electric bill went down a lot, that's great! Our bill is usually around $50- $55 and I would like to get it down lower than that. I might try unplugging those strips that some of our tvs and computer equip. are plugged into.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Great job! Don't you just love being able to see what you are doing is worth it?!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dcompton.
the strips are not unplugged, there is a switch on top that stops the auto current on the appliances etc that you have plugged into it. we just flip the switch off and the electric stops going to whatever you have plugged in. sure hope I have made this a little clearer. dh is at work or he could make this sound better than I have.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
coool im going to turn off my power strip too after this and see ifs theirs a difference. thanks

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Thanks. I see that the way I typed the question it looks like I was on drugs. I meant, as you assumed, do you have to actually unplug them -- my outlets are, of course, in very unreachable places.

I will start just turning them off. That's exactly the answer I was hoping for! And great work on your bill. With a hot Louisiana summer on its way I can use all the help I can get.

·
Registered
737 Posts
That's great. Our electric bill hasn't been too bad, but we could certainly improve it. We have a ton of stuff plugged in that we never use, lol. Thanks for the heads up on the power strips.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Oh my gosh, that is awesome! I need to think about our bill, it's usually around $200 a month and we think that is good.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am so impressed. I think I am going to start unplugging all over the house. Maybe we can see a big difference too. Great Job!

·
Registered
460 Posts
That is great! I have been working on lowering ours, too. This time last year it was about $150. Last month it was down to $91. I have been very pleased to see it go down every month. I have also been able to get our water bill down about $10.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts