Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, It seems that a lot of what I say on here goes toward the vent angle, but I really don't have anyone else to vent to.
Anyway, My son has fooled around and flunked 9th grade. He passed everything the first semester and then (his words) "chose" not to do anything the last semester. What makes this so bad is my son has a very high IQ , somewhere in the high 150-160 range. Also this last semester was almost a give me semester. He had art, drafting, civics, and algebra 1. We know that he has passed civics, but everthing else is a probably not and the way our hs is set up he has to pass 7 classes for the year to move to the 10 grade, on paper. If he passes art or drafting we are going to have to send him to summer school for algebra, which is going to cost us $175 that we don't have to spare. But if he has not done enough for the algebra to make the difference between 9th and 10th we are not going to spend the money. What makes this even crazier is that say he passes5 classes total this year and is considered a 9th grader again, if he passes 7 next year he will be in 11th the next.
Anyway thanks for letting me vent.
Jeanna
:mad:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
maybe the IQ is the issue in itself...could the classes not be challenging enough for him? I always seemed to slack off in the classes that didn't stimulate me or didn't challenge me enough. Maybe talking to the school admin would help. I blew off all my classes in 6th grade because i felt it was way too slow. Until Dad went to the school admin and found out that i should have been in much tougher classes. then i got into tougher classes and i did so much better. (lol except math, sigh) Just an idea :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I wonder if it was something in the water we drank while we were preggers? Just kidding. My DS did the same thing. I felt like such a dope sitting in the principals office listening to the boy tell us that he just didn't feel like working the second semester. Now I have to split up my lunch hour to take him to and from summer school. Not to mention the money it costs and the summer camps I had paid for for him - oh nonrefundable fees!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
That is quite an IQ, 145 for an adult would be GENIUS !!!!!!!! He really did just throw it away..... Make him find a summer job and pay the fees himself...... That maybe some lesson to him..... JMO

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you mean about the IQ. I had mine done and it was 123 and I thought that was pretty good, but then he comes along and is at genius level and chooses not to do anything with it. I feel that it is something that I did or didn't do, some life skills that he is lacking but I am afraid it is almost to late to turn his attitude around. Thanks for the feed back, again it was mostly a vent.
Jeanna:(

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Jeanna, you must have done things right for him to have turned out so bright ! Kids, just like adults have their slumps..... Don't blame yourself ! If he didn't apply himself, he is to blame.... It doesn't mean he'll continue to have this slump. I would talk to him and make him accept responsibility for it...... Then he can plot a better coarse for next year..... and it's never too late to adjust their attitudes and help then find a more positive way of looking at things, especially at 14..... {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Just to let you know, this is very common among kids with high IQ's. If they are not challenged, they get bored and don't do much at all in school. They are almost "insulted" by the low level of difficulty and can't see the point in even doing it. It sounds like your son needs to be in AP classes where he will have to use his mind.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Wishing you and ds better, brighter days ahead. I agree that a little summer work might be just the thing, even if its extra work at home. Being a mom is a tough job. You are doing fine, somethings ds will just have to learn his way through.

pat

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
hmsclmom said:
Just to let you know, this is very common among kids with high IQ's. If they are not challenged, they get bored and don't do much at all in school. They are almost "insulted" by the low level of difficulty and can't see the point in even doing it. It sounds like your son needs to be in AP classes where he will have to use his mind.
hmsclmom is right. Funny thing, my brother (9th grader this past year as well) was just bragging to me and my sister yesterday that he didn't try hard in school this past year. I was so ticked, because, like your son, he has a high IQ, and is extremely smart. He passed, but he just doesn't see how important it is to stay on track.

((hugs)) hon.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I agree- it sounds like he's bored. Big hugs to you mom...

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Sorry to hear your news Jeanna, My son fooled around and did the same thing. He is also in the 9th grade. I can't wait to see how many credits he actually obtained this year. I know it won't be many. I have thought about doing some correspodence courses from a local college with him to try and get him caught up again.

What is wrong with our children? They just give no effort to anything.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Nathan will be going to summer school. He did pass two of his classes this semester. I do not know which one he did pass art or drafting, but he didn't pass algebra 1. So he has 6 credits and summer school will make the difference between 9th and 10th. Now I am wondering if I/we are sending him for him, or are we sending him because we don't want to add another (loss) to our tally right now. Oh well, whatever the reason he is going.
Jeanna

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I had this same problem with my dd in 4th grade. We homeschooled that year and she dawdled around. When it came time to test back into school, she hadn't completed her curiculum. I'm sorry... I would not summer school. She failed to meet the standard and the price was re-doing 4th grade.

Children don't try because they do not have a consequence. Yes, summer school is a consequence, but a bigger one was having to face her friends when they were in the next grade up and she was not.

Yes, this will have her graduate a year late, but it was a valuable lesson in being responsible and how her choices caused reprocussions. My Dd has improved dramatically because she doesn't ever want to be left behind, again!

I think we as parents make things too easy for our children and that they have TOO much. Therefore, they don't value their work, their things or themselves as highly as they would if they had to work harder for all they have.

OMG...I sound like my MOTHER!!! LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts