Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas....my daughter wants an american girl doll for christmas but i refuse to pay $100 dollars for one...have gone to ebay and even used ones are going close to $70 and i refuse to pay that much for one to....I have been told that there are ones like at kohl's, target and other places that have a version that is similiar.. Does anyone know what they are called....
Any ideas.... would be appreciated....

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
eBay Guides - American Girl vs. Generics - a Mom's Saving Guide

I have researched this myself. Our Generation dolls are, imo, your best bet. They're from Target. They come in deluxe version, about $34, which come with books and a few accessories, and a simpler version with no book and fewer accessories for about $22. Target also carries a decent line of accessories like beds, salon chairs, a horse, extra clothes.

Walmart carries their own version. I don't remember the name but I really wasn't impressed with the appearance. I think they're a couple bucks cheaper.

You can find the 18" Madame Alexander dolls at Sears. I saw them there a few days ago. They were cute but thier faces looked weird like a porcelain doll (look up madame alexander to see their expressions) and if I remember right they were quite a bit more expensive. If your kid is looking for a AG doll, she probably won't go for MA because of the huge difference in facial appearance. The Target and WM dolls at least look like a normal kid doll.

What you're looking for is an 18" doll. If you want extra clothes and accessories, you can find them all over the place and that 18" is kind of the key because pretty much all clothes for that size of doll are interchangeable. I found some on etsy, ebay and craigslist.

Good luck in finding something. My girls wanted an AG doll but my oldest has changed her mind. My 6 year old has been unwaivering. I wish she wanted a historical doll but she wants one that has the same eye and hair color and hair style as her. We're going to order her one in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My niece wanted one for her birthday. I got it off craigslist for $40. It was used but looked brand new. I post a ad in the wanted section for it and had lots of response I ended up buying two for $40 a piece, saved on for Christmas.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Oh, that's a good idea. I'm going to have to try that. I want one for my neice but I'm not sure about spending the $100 on it.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Walmart has Madame Alexander dolls for Christmas. Here they tend to go fast and I have only seen them at Christmastime.

We had one of Walmart's old American Girl knock offs but she broke and they don't carry that kind anymore.

Avon has a knock off too.

I personally think the American girl dolls are made better and they do have a doll hospital where they can fix body parts and hair, etc even written on dolls. for a fee of course. Which has been wonderful for us. We sent in my American girl to be fixed (her arm came off) and we sent in bitty baby also.

So if you see even a American girl doll in bad shape on Ebay or craigslist, or a garage sale for a very low price. She can be fixed up as good as new

Here is a list to the hospital prices

http://store.americangirl.com/static/dollHospital/images/doll_hospital.pdf

The prices look like they have gone up since we sent my American girl and bitty baby there.

Another thought I just had, the new American Girl's ( use to be just like me) now have codes so you can get full access to the American Girl's new site so you can play online with your doll. Seems kind of like Webkins meets American Girl.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
they are very well made dolls. pricey, but well made. we do have one w/ some clothing, accessories, a few outfits and a bed and i think it was $$ well spent as dd loves her
Very well made I agree.

Little Miss has my American girl from the mid eighties to late 80's. I gave it to Little Miss to start playing with when she was 3 years, old almost 7 years ago. The doll has only had to go the hospital once and that was to reattach a arm.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks!

i will check craigslist... on ebay they still go for to much...thanks for all the ideas...

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I found 18 inch dolls called Today's Girls

In a constructive playthings catalog I received today. cptoy.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.