Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month has NOT been a good month. Generally, my DH and I get 4 paychecks a month, 2 for him and 2 for me.

The first checks go towards utilities and the house payment, the second ones go to insurance and savings.

Our property taxes in Dec we paid out of our first 2 checks and now we are having to dip into savings and barely scrape by for the rest of the month. I have never been in this position since we got married and am really nervous, we rarely touch the savings but now we seem to have to keep getting in it. Advice please to talk me off the ledge!

On top of all that, I just got news that my dog needs a 1500 surgery to fix his torn ACL I need a miracle. :(

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
The bad news is you're in a tight spot.

The GOOD news is starting in January you can start saving a little bit each month (1/12th) for your property taxes in Dec 2011, and so next year you won't be caught unawares! :D

·
2,688 Posts
Well the ideal best way is to save/set aside, 1/12 of the yearly bill, in this case the property tax every single month.

Now in our case, that doesn't work. We can't get that out of our low income budget every month. It just is not there.
He gets paid every 2 weeks. So 2 months of the year, there is that 3rd paycheck. That gets left in the bank. Any OT he makes gets left in the bank, and not figured into the monthly bills. So when the school tax comes due in September, and then the property tax comes due in December, hopefully there is enough money in the checking account. If not, I find a few extra dollars on the side selling a few things on craigslist for example.
Now next spring finally, I hope to be able to start setting aside so much a month for the taxes. That is the plan. And also the plan is to start a snowball on his truck payment. When we get that paid off, then it will be snowballing the HEL. Only 2 bills we have and then the utilies.

Well you say you have the taxes paid, so that is a good thing. And if you are uncomfortable with a tight budget this month, then that means you need to have a bigger savings account set aside. For emergencies, and for your taxes.

Taxes keep going up every year. I keep mumbling to the hubby that these governments need to stay within their budgets. Not just thinking the taxpayers will have those extra $$ every year.
Some people have got no raises and some people are on fixed incomes. So for these people, it means cutting back in other areas in their budgets. It just downright hurts.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Is there no way to pay your property taxes each month throughout the year?

We do that and it's fantastic for both our sanity and our budget.

I agree with Greebo:

Start putting away 1/12th of it on January 1st.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
You mentioned that you seem to keep having to dip into your savings alot lately. How you taken another look at your budget? Have you been eating out more lately? I agree with the other posters and start putting a little away each month so this won't happen again December 2011. Good luck! :)

·
19,119 Posts
Ugh - so glad that you have savings to go into. Agree with the above 1/12 each month into savings for the taxes. How about another emergency fund - to be used for things like you dog's surgery. That way savings you save and EF gets used for emergencies?

·
Registered
876 Posts
That's what happened to DH and I. We were cruising along, not paying enough attention to our budget. Blew it, and ended up having to sell our first home. We bought out of our league. Could have done it if we were smart about our budget, but we weren't and got ourselves into the hole that we're now digging out of.

The good news is that you're recognizing that you're not in the greatest place right now, and you can DO something about it before it gets out of control! Look at your budget in detail again, see what you can cut down, how much you can save, even if it's jsut a few dollars. Or maybe you'll have to do something more drastic. Anywhichway, you can figure it out! good for you for being smart about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
AUGHHHHHHHH!!!
Hope the vet gives you a break on the surgery....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.