Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. all credit cards are paid off. Equity line only debt left ( except mortgage )

Now we ad another debt for braces.

It lefts like a huge step backwards.

Going from one debt ( except the mortgage ) to two.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have an HSA option with your insurance?
I am not sure if it is HSA or a FS somthing. We can sign up for that in January.

I looked it that a bit but the net seems to be iffy about braces being allowable and if so how much each year etc. But definitly soomthing to think about considering we know that we have then expense.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Only one person in the household escaped needing braces. All of our braces were medically necessary. I considered the cost a debt, but, because of it being medical, a necessary debt.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
We never had to do braces but I feel ya on the step backwards thought.
We are debt free but need a furnace by late fall.
I am saving for that time to buy a good car all cash so we will be borrowing $10,000 to fix the air conditioning also.
Like it has been said. Reframe it as a good investment for your childs future. Its not a frivilous investment for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't lose your hope and get rid of this debt by your hard work and dedication you close your other debts.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Actually, our braces all went through the medical reimbursement thing (flex) because they were medically necessary. If they are just for making teeth pretty, then it won't work. Ours were all for various medical reasons and the ortho had to write a letter stating so.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. all credit cards are paid off. Equity line only debt left ( except mortgage )

Now we ad another debt for braces.

It lefts like a huge step backwards.

Going from one debt ( except the mortgage ) to two.
One of our boys obviously needed braces and our dentist referred him to an orthodontist. He straightened out his teeth and then proceeded to tell us that he would need to go through 'round two' to perfect everything. We went back to our dentist with our son for a second opinion and our 'old school' dentist told us there was absolutely no need for further work - things looked fine. Thousands saved!

Then, just recently, our youngest was being checked out by a younger dentist (same office) after his cleaning appt and we were told that he needed braces to straighten one bottom tooth. I told this 'younger dentist' that I would think about it and then asked the receptionist to book a follow up first with our regular 'old school' dentist. He took one look at the tooth and the conversation went something like this:

Dentist: Well, that bottom tooth is a bit crooked but no one sees it even when you smile. Does it bug you?
Son: No, not at all.
Dentist: Well, forget braces then.
Dentist (to me): If he wants braces later in life, let him pay for it. He doesn't need it now. The trouble nowadays is that people are led to believe they need a 'perfect mouth'.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am right there with you on the bummer bout! we went from no debt ( except for the mortgage, to a SUV payment and one for a AC/Heatpump. The heat pump/AC is 36 months no interest and the SUV is at 3.2% for 72 months. We are very disciplined so we will get these paid off sooner than that. ( did I also mention we have added a wedding in the mix too)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You got rid of those other debts, you can get rid of this one too! I also consider having to go into debt for braces if necessary just one of those things- you cringe, sign on the dotted line to get your child the care they need, then put that debt in your sights! A few years from now your child will have a proper, healthy smile and the debt will be gone.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
553 Posts
There is needing braces and then there's NEEDING braces. My oldest dd needed braces but her father was out of work at the time (for 3 years!) so there was no way we could afford braces. It was a stretch to even go to the dentist. It would have been nice to afford them for her, but I'm thankful she didn't NEED braces. She felt very deprived and as an adult she got braces. I think more because she felt deprived than she really needed them, but her choice and her money. I NEEDED braces but my folks couldn't afford them and I've survived with ugly buck teeth and a nasty crossbite that has caused most of my molars to need capped. I would stretch the budget for NEED, but not for need/want.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
One of our boys obviously needed braces and our dentist referred him to an orthodontist. He straightened out his teeth and then proceeded to tell us that he would need to go through 'round two' to perfect everything. We went back to our dentist with our son for a second opinion and our 'old school' dentist told us there was absolutely no need for further work - things looked fine. Thousands saved!

Then, just recently, our youngest was being checked out by a younger dentist (same office) after his cleaning appt and we were told that he needed braces to straighten one bottom tooth. I told this 'younger dentist' that I would think about it and then asked the receptionist to book a follow up first with our regular 'old school' dentist. He took one look at the tooth and the conversation went something like this:

Dentist: Well, that bottom tooth is a bit crooked but no one sees it even when you smile. Does it bug you?
Son: No, not at all.
Dentist: Well, forget braces then.
Dentist (to me): If he wants braces later in life, let him pay for it. He doesn't need it now. The trouble nowadays is that people are led to believe they need a 'perfect mouth'.
I agree with your dentist. Some of our children were good candidates for braces, but they didn't want them and they are all happy with the way they looked. Some of my teeth are crooked, I never had braces & like the children, I'm happy with the way things are. If the child is happy with the way their teeth look and its not causing any medical issues-leave it alone. We do have one dd that absolutely had to have braces on her upper teeth due to a stubborn front tooth that couldn't come down by itself - it was trying to come in under her nose in a horizontal position - not only did she have to have braces,but she also had to have 2 oral surgeries. there is a risk of root damage with braces & that could cause more dental problems later on, but in dd's case, we didn't have much of a choice. She had the braces off in April and everything looks beautiful. When we were seeking out an orthodontist, we went to 2 different ones and chose the second.....I have to warn you, some orthos want to do unnecessary things and charge you an arm & a leg. The first one said they needed to stretch her palate and they didn't offer a discount if we pre paid for everything in cash. The second ortho said dd's palate didn't need to be stretched (a relief for dd b/c it looked barbaric), they also gave a 10% discount if we pre-paid for the treatment, plus they paid for 3 retainers and the charged us about $1600 less. Pre paying did wipe us out for awhile, but we were investing in our dd....it wasn't like we were buying something we didn't need. Imagine, things will work out and when those braces come off, your dd will be so grateful. *hugs*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts