Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a notice from our last apartment..they are saying we owe them for 20 days of rent that we didn't even occupy the place and that our lease didn't cover.

We gave them the 30 day notice that was required under the terms of our lease..we were totally moved out by the last day of March. We gave the keys back that same week..and now they turn around and bill us for Rent lost?

Is this a normal practice??

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I think I'd try to fight them on that!!! that is just plain wrong. good luck.

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am calling the apartment association tomorrow.

I've read up on Colorado law requirements and so forth and even if we didn't give them the keys the fact that we called on the 1st of April to confirm that we were moved out leaves them with no legal rights to ask for Rents lost.
Even if we had kept the keys the laws say they can then just charge us to make new keys.

so it seems pretty cut and dry... I would hate to have to get lawyers involved in this..

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'm sorry Phae. Just what you need right? :( It's been two months. I can't believe this. It doesn't sound like they can do this unless you left before your lease was up. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I've never heard of that, either. Some people! :mad:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Never heard of such a thing, and I've had some pretty wacked out landlords.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
That would make me mad too. I hope the apartment association is able to help you with this matter. It doesn't seem right to me.

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE***

So when I called the Management company for the old apartment I was told they didn't recieve my lease termination until the 21st of March.

I was floored. I called up the On site manager and asked why she would lie about such things...

I am still waiting for a response from them.

I have been advised by several people to take it to the 9 News station because they love doing stories on stuff like this.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I hope it all works out for you..... I learned many of these lessons years ago, now I know to get everything time stamped, signed and a reciept ...... It's too bad they are not doing any better than this ......

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha

I have figured the whole thing out.

In our termination letter it says this "I have enclosed our final month’s rent with this letter, and we will be ready to move out by the end of the month."

Which would then mean that my rent from March was 21 days late. Which I can prove without a doubt that my rent check for March cleared on 3/5/03.

Whoohoo..*l*.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Yippee!
What a pain!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Sounds like you had WONDERFUL land lords...My sis used to be an apartment mgr when she lived in Denver. She used to tell me about the job and she never once mentioned something like that.

If the apt. didn't rent out for 20 days after you moved, that isn't your fault and you should not be held accountable for their loss or their lack of "salesmenship".

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey ladies,

I have this horrible sinking feeling. I faxed over a copy of my bank statement with my lease termination attached. I recieved a call from the actual property managers and was told that the letter I faxed them clarifies that they were correct all along about the date they recieved the notice. Now I am wondering if they would go so far in their desperate measures as to have falsified our termination notice by retyping it and just photo copying my husbands signature onto it.

They keep saying that the rent check is not an issue, yet the check was enclosed with the letter, just as the last paragraph said, so if the letter wasn't recieved until the 21st, then the rent check couldn't, shouldn't and wouldnt of cleared on the 5th of march.

·
Registered
22 Posts
wellllll I would definitly be calling the news station right now...
and I would let them know that I called...after the fact...heheh great coverage...really encourages people to want to rent from them

~Cindy~

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think they are going to try and say that since the rent check cleared on March 5 that they didn't get a 30 day notice in time. Did your rent run from the first to the first? We got screwed on this one time because our rent ran from the 5th to the 5th and we dated our final check on the 5th. They used it to show that we didn't give a 30 day notice in time. Around here you have to give a 30 day notice but if the 30 days runs into the next month then you would owe for the next month as well (or until they rent it. ) What happened to us was that we gave notice on the 3rd that we would be out at the end of the month. The judge ruled that because we gave notice on the 3rd (he would not believe that our rent ran from the 5th)that 30 days took it into the next month so we had to pay for the next month as well. He also awarded him another months rent because it took 2 months for him to rent the place. (but he didn't even advertize it for a whole month.. ughh) If you dated the check for the first and you have a copy of your 30 day notice I think you will be fine. They will have to prove that you were still in there after the first.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I think some people try things like this because their are people out there who would just go ahead and pay it. We had some land we had sold with the guy paying us, he defaulted and then filed bankruptcy and the land sat there for about 5 years. Then a man writes us a letter telling us he bought the land off the guy and wanted us to just hand over the deed. We told him that we were not born yesterday, so he actually had a lawyer contact us, trying to scare us. My husband told the lawyer it wouldn't work, so the lawyer asked what it would take to get the deed, my husband said $5000 and you know what we had the check 3 days later. Anyway my point is don't let them strong arm you. Let them know you know the law and they will probably move along.
Good Luck
Jeanna

·
Registered
203 Posts
I understand how frustrating renters rights can be!!!Some landlords will do anything for a buck! Stick to your guns,DO NOT back down.We are all here rootin for ya.I had 2 different places the landlordsTRIED to screw us but I got snmart from the get go and they messed with the wrong girl!!LOL
Good Luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe if you called them and told them flat out that you feel as though they are trying to take you for a ride, and if this does not get resolved right away, not only will you fight them on this you will be calling the television station and have them do this article. They apparently have done this in the past and will continue to do it, it needs to be stopped. Maybe if you show them that your willing to fight it, they may just back down. Hope it all works out :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts