Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me have it girls.:fpunch:

I would just like to add in my defense that I was VERY supportive of my dh and told him I am 100% behind him no matter what he decides to do. His health is bad and his stress worse and I want him to be happy.

That said I will prattle on.....

My dh is the manager of our local chevy parts dealership.

This is his first stint as a manager and has had this job as manager 3 years but has been at this dealership almost 12 years. He is good at his job but underpaid and really stressed. His boss is a hot head and the general manager is NOT a stand up for you guy. He looks out for himself everytime.

So yeserday my dh calls me and tells me two great things. One he has gotten a small raise which after taxes comes up to about and additional $400 a month. Yes I was thrilled but the reason Dean got the raise was because they moved a guy into deans dept and promised him a raise and if they gave it to him he would make MORE than my dh who is MANAGER! yeah right!

They have been promising Dean a raise for 2 years but have managed to not give him one until the Gen Man. put his foot in his mouth and made it so Dean HAD to get one.

Imagine how that makes my dh feel because he works so hard and is paid about $55 thousand a year--way underpaid.

I am a stay at home mom but the ebay is picking up...that is another post!:fdance:

Then the second news. Dh won us an ALL EXPENSE paid trip to Puerto Vallarta(sp) air fare, hotel, food, and entertainments for 2.

DH and I have been married 13 years, no honeymoon, no trips, never any anniversary gifts nothing and he wins us this trip for being SO GOOD AT HIS JOB that he is underpaid for....

SO yes I am having a great day until last night...

He comes home and tells me he has been offered(almost 100%) a new job at a different dealership by the man who used to be parts manager where dh is now. My dh really really likes this guy who is SCUM on a personal level but stand up business wise.

Dh is allll excited.

So we may be looking at a job change which is scary as all get out. He would be working with butt head again who :tmi: :tmi: nevermind..I don't like the guy enough said, and we will lose our trip because dh would have to be working at his place to get it.

Dh said he won't go for less than $68,000 start up which is about $5000 more than the new raise will net him.

So what is my problem????

Also, We get GM points that spend like cash. We got our washer, dryer, fridge, 50 inch plasma,lawn mower,small appliances and misc. other goods FREE.

I know that this "Old boss" will not choose to let Dean on the points system and that sticks my craw.

So --old job, raise,GM points, trip, STRESS, no real feeling of job security

new job--not a done deal,more money, less stress??? stupid guy boss, scary and no trip

Would you be a little upset or would you just say darn the everything else and show me the money.

I really really don't like this guy..a woman knows.....:tp: :tp: when she see it!My dh really looks up to this guy and it makes me nuts!

Ok tell me to grow up now and btw..I am 100% behind dh.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and another thing we have to go now and for out a few hundred for passports and we may not be going on the trip!!

What! I don't have hundreds to spend on a maybe????

grrrr..I am not getting that trip am I???

·
27,948 Posts
I guess I'm for the less stress job even though...
Life is too short to be in a job that stresses you out, it ages you and just makes your life miserable. What does he want to do?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think if the money is right he wants the new job. There will always be stress in his field but I think much less. It also means an hour and a half more driving time everyday.

His truck, insurance, and gas are paid by the company and that would stay the same at both jobs so no added expenses there.

·
27,948 Posts
Ugh, hour & a half, yikes. Whole lot to weigh. Hope the decision becomes easier for you 2.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
something to think about. If the guy is standup boss wise, what do you care if you dont like him personally? You wont be working for him, your dh would be. I would think alot about the longer drive but if it reduces your dh's stress its something to think about

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
:yeah: I hope things work out for you both because life is too short to be stressed out.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I hope it all works out for you. My stepfather does about the same job that your DH does and his job is quite stressful too. He won us a trip to Disney World for the family about 10 years ago and he also won a trip for my Mom and him to Alaska and somewhere else (can't remember) because he works so hard. The GM points are great too, they use those all the time. I hope your DH chooses the best for the both of you.:)

G

·
I know that I wouldn't have the guts to do it, but if your DH does, maybe he could tell his current boss that someone else offered him a job paying $68K and would he able to convince him to stay? I have had at least one employer offer me more money when I told them I was leaving before.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. My DH is the Parts Manager at a BMW dealership, but has also worked in the parts departments at Dodge and Mercedes dealerships. He's also way underpaid and overstressed.

I don't have advice for you as far as his bosses go. It's been our experience that GMs and owners of dealerships are just not quality people, and they will always put themselves before their employees. My DH has been at his current job for 5 years now, and the only raises he gets are by selling more parts. The only way they will ever increase his salary and/or commission rates is if he finds another job and threatens to quit.

If it were us, I would encourage my DH to take the new job. The GM points sound like they would be hard to lose, but in my opinion nothing beats less stress.

I hope it all works out for the two of you! :grouphug2

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Just an FYI--you don't need a passport to go to Puerto Rico.

I am just sending good vibes your way in hopes that it all works out to your benefit no matter WHAT the decision is.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
no advice, i wish you the best of luck, keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
That is quite the situation....less stress but way more time spent driving versus more stress and less money. No wonder you're torn. Personally, I would go for the less stress and more money, but that's because I don't have a family, so an extra hour and a half of driving every day wouldn't hurt anyone's schedule but my own. It's normal for you to have reservations...switching jobs is very stressful in itself, but you are being very supportive and hoping to improve your dh's quality of life, which is great. I hope everything works out well whatever you guys decide.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an FYI--you don't need a passport to go to Puerto Rico.

I am just sending good vibes your way in hopes that it all works out to your benefit no matter WHAT the decision is.
Yes, I saw that in a commercial just this morning lol, but our trip is to Mexico..Puerto Vallarta.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't understand why the new, old boss won't let your DH take the trip or in on the GM points? could he not ask for those benefits on the contingent of taking the job as compensation for the new, longer commute? I think if it were me, I would at least ask.

Also, can you take the vacation at any time, or does it depend on something else? Sorry I'm just confused, which is normal for me. :)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The trip is WON through dh's current dealership and it is a couple of people from different dealerships going at the same time like a package deal. If dh leaves his dealership his trip goes away.

As for the GM points. His new boss would have to ok it and if HE is the one getting all the points now he won't want to share THOUSANDS of points with dh that spend like dollars. 1 dollar is one point. It is like cash in the bank. I have a washer and dryer worth over $2500 and a tv worth almost $5000 and a fridge worth $2000 that I did NOT pay one cent for.

So as you can see I like my points!

I really do but if dh is making the big bucks it makes it moot right? We will have more money, dh said if he switches jobs we will take a nice family vacation this summer instead which I would love to do.

I just want my dh to be happy and well paid for the excellent job he does.

I am just scared and I really wanted that trip. I mean there is was and then 10 hours later--there it goes!

I know that if the money is right he needs to take the new job with no complaining from me!

I can be a team player! LOL

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I hope that you and your DH are able to find the right solution that will benefit you both. I know less stress would be my option.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
HUUGGSSS going your way.
Just sending you some good vibes on whatever you decide Dear!!!!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well thank you, I do feel a lot better now that the shock has worn off!

When you dh is the sole money maker and he starts talking about a new job it scares the pants off you!

I am sure we will be fine and my dh does NOT make rash decisions. He is a very level headed man who cares more about his family than himself.

I trust him 100%.

Thank you gals for letting me talk about it with you and not add more to his burden than what we HAD to discuss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts