Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE junket. If you don't know what that is, it's a milk dessert similar to yoghurt. It was considered "invalid food" when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s and whenever my sister or I were ill, my mum would whip up a batch of junket and jello and we'd be in 7th heaven. My secret is that I still love it now. It reminds me of my mother and of being comforted and cared for when I was young.

I made a cherry :cherry: junket yesterday and offered some to dh and ds for dessert last night and they almost gagged. LOL, I knew they would. :laugh: GOOD, all the more for me. :toothy: They say that junket tastes like nothing and that it's wobbly and disgusting.

:hearts:

I bet you like something that's disgusting too. What is it that you love to eat that your family hates?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
lol, i haven't a clue what junket is, never heard of it.

My gross thing is plain pasta with ketchup (yes, even before i was preggy) :D

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
bolgna sandwiches with mustard, onions and pepper, washed down with chocolate milk. My best friend and I lived on these one summer. She thought that it was gross until she tried one, then she was hooked.

·
27,948 Posts
I love the boxed mac & cheese. I also like it with hot dogs cut up in it. I make it when Jack isn't around,lol.
I think you summed it up when you said comfort food Rhonda. Doesn't have to be super good for you...just make you feel good.;)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I do the mac and chz with hotdogs too! mmmmmmmm

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I love tomato soup crammed to the rim of the bowl with ritz crackers. I don't know if any single person adds as many crackers as I do to my tomato soup, but it's delish!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I love an occasional fried salami and processed cheese sandwich with some nice meijer old fashioned chips.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I love pasta with ketchup on it:D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
OK, I don't like this any more but when I was a child and got sick the only thing that I wanted to eat was rice mixed with a can of tuna and some ketchup. It makes me gag now but oh how I loved it way back then!

As for now I still like my poi!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
There are two things I eat that gross out my family ..one is cottage cheese with cold baked beans on top:chef:..The other is taking a peanut butter sandwich and dipping it in tomato soup, YUMMMMMMM:toothy:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Jack makes a face at me everytime I eat the following:

Peanut butter and banana sandwich
fired egg sandwich with ketchup
Grandma Brown's Baked bean sandwich with just butter.

:D

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I love warm rice pudding and the rest of my family gags at the thought. I also like tapioca pudding and they hate that as well.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
dh salts and peppers his cottage cheese. He swears it is good, but i dunno....

I put sunflower seeds all over mine. I swear it's good but he says "I dunno......"

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Pat puddings and fruit pies are only good when warmed! :D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Missy,
I love cottage cheese with sunflower seeds in it! I also like to add some chopped tomato and cucumbers along with some fesh dill.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We grew up Sarah ---eating Ritz crackers crumbled up in all our soups ---I like it in chicken nooded stuffed with Ritz too. I'm the only one in my family that eats it like this.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is so gagworthy..when i was a kid my Dad would make Peanut Butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches......EWWWWWWW
Loved them when i was a kid though..

Carol
Did I mention..ewwwww

·
Registered
247 Posts
this not only may seem incredibly gross but is dangerous too.

years back when i was a little girl, every now and then my mom would crack and egg and separate the yolk from the white. She would open the yolk (raw) and add lots of sugar and have me eat it!!!!! she said all the protein would make me strong. I liked it too!

of course i wouldn't eat it now, but man oh man i used to love it!

oh and my mom used to put ketschup on my raviolis! love it! ROFL
even my son who loves ketschup on everything gagged on it when he tried it. LOL

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Sour cream & onion potato chips with cottage cheese.

When I was a little girl, my dad would go squirrel hunting. When he brought them home to skin and clean them, he would crack open the skulls and take out the brains. Momma would scramble the brains with eggs and me and daddy would eat them mixed in with our grits. I loved it then, but the thought of it now makes me :puck:

My father grew up hard and poor. His favorite part of the deer was the liver and heart, and when we butchered a hog, we always had chitterlings, which is the hog intestines. My one job during hog butchering was helping my granny scrape the hair off the hog head so we could boil it. Then, when it had boiled until the meat was tender, we pulled all of the meat off and mixed it with seasonings and hot peppers, put it into these large pans and put boards on top of it with heavy bricks to press it down and put it into the fridge. When the grease had been pressed up to the top, we removed the bricks and boards and scraped off the congealed grease and cut the souse meat into squares, wrapped it in butcher paper, and it went into the freezer. You then could fry it or just cut it and make sandwiches with it. My family called it hog head cheese. I haven't had any in years but I remember how great it was fried with grits, gravy and biscuits.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts