Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, maybe it isn't that bad, but the sink is backed up bad. I don't have a plumbing snake or even liquid plumber. I have spent the better half of the morning plunging the drains with a plunger. First the side with the disposal and then the side that doesn't have the disposal. All i can really accomplish is the water traveling from the left sink through the pipes to the right sink and back. When it first happened this morning, there was much more water, so water is seeping out down the drain slowly. My arms are shaking from having been plunger-ing for so long today with no real luck. I have no cash, so I can't go get liquid plumber, i haven't a plumbing snake, dh refuses to take a break and come home to fix it. It smells and i need it to be fixed so i have to do it myself. Now my question is, what household things can I use to "eat" whatever is down there?? Someone once said something about using vinegar and baking soda to break up clogs in drains... well now my kitchen smells not only of the icky water, but of vinegar and baking soda reaction too. HELP!!!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I was going to say to pour baking soda down in the drain and then pour some vinegar down the drain, but looks like you already tried that. Since you don't have a snake, do you have a wire clothes hanger you might can straighten out and manuever around in the drain to try to unclog it? It is worth trying.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill giive it a shot! thanks! Ill let ya know how it works.:)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I've used a wire hanger in the past also.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it worked!!!! thanks so much!!!!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Good, it is a pain when our dh's dont cooperate like we want them to, but look what you can do on your own!!! I'm lovin it!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am so excited i was able to fix it!

(in a "Bob the Builder" voice...) Can we fix it???? Yes we can!!!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am glad you were able to make it work Melissa!

·
27,948 Posts
:clap:Glad you got it fixed! Boiling water helps sometimes too.:)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Baking soda and vinegar doesn't really work all that great on clogs, I find it's OK for slow draining sinks and to freshen the garbade disposal when it gets nasty. Congrats on your quick, frugal fix without DH!!!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
:fdande: you go girl! You did a great job!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts