Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all :) my mother (85) just got back home after being in the hospital with pnemonia. she is very weak. i always have a christmas party here with all the family. due to getting sick every year after the party is over....someone always passes on a cold or worse.....i am sooo afraid for my mother to catch anything at her weakened state. so i cancelled christmas. the first time since ever i will not be at or hosting a party.

you know what? shhhh...i am secretly starting to enjoy the idea. i don't know if i will feel different on christmas morning.....but....

just the three of us. i will make some sort of special meal. i have a turkey in the freezer but not feeling it.....maybe lobster or prime rib. something to make the day special.

my family ....if not sick....will make individual visits to see ma the week before christmas. i am soooo not going to miss the stress of planning the party.....shhhh.....share my joy with me......lol and don't tell anyone in my family that i confessed that here, okey? it is just between us.......hehehehehe

what are your plans?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Enjoy your day!!! You might like it so much that you will cancel Christmas every year!! :)

·
4,028 Posts
I think you are making such a wise decision. :) I hope your Mom feels better soon.

My Mom and I play in a hand bell choir for the evening services so Christmas Day is spent in town with just my immediate family. We usually do a nice dinner but not the full trimmings like Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Exactly the same here. Family member that lives with us had to have major surgery and is still in rehab, due to come home somewhere between the 9th and 15th. No energy or spirit for Christmas parties this year and it's starting to almost feel like a relief. Like you, we're just feeling blessed to be together and have another Christmas with our elderly family member. Somehow, the gifts, parties, frantic shopping, and hoopla don't seem to matter so much anymore. I wish your mom a full recovery. Enjoy the peace of your holiday.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I hope your Mom feels better soon. Now that 2 of our DD's are on thier own, we are having a Christmas Breakfast so everyone can have a nice Christmas with everyone they would like to see and spend the holiday with.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I work for 6 night over the Christmas weekend- so no party, dinner here either.

This will be the 3rd year without my dad and the 2nd without my mom - enjoy your time with your mom.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Thank you for respecting your mother's health! I'm sure if she doesn't get sick this year, this will definitely be a memorable one. If possible...do video chats on Christmas AM with those who are able and willing? This will lessen the severity of not seeing family over the holidays.

AND congrats to you for lessening your own stress load!! Enjoy your Christmas this year :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Every year for the past 10 years, my family has celebrated Christmas at my house - opening presents and eating a big brunch. There are usually about 15 of us.
Family members bring some of the food, but it's still a lot of work.
This year, my sister-in-law decided she wants to have our Christmas celebration at her house.
I am so looking forward to not cleaning up after everyone!!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Good for you! making a decision that benefits your own health as well as your mother's. I hope you enjoy a quiet, relaxing holiday; sounds like you earned it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts