Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is nothing for some of you I know but for us it is kind of a big deal. We have not paid for a meal out, a soda, coffee, deli food, frozen pre-made anything etc in a few weeks that we paid for. We usually go out once a week plus I occasionally pick up a take and bake pizza.

We were out about 1500 with the funerals between traveling , lost wages, new dress clothes, flowers, extra long distance etc etc. We have been very strict with the budget as in only $20 a week for groceries, no extra trips anywhere, no extra $ for the kids and stuff trying to make up all the $. It has been really, really tight around here. I didn't want to take any more out of the EF as we are trying to get some back in there after a fully funded FFEG got drained this summer with disaster after disaster right after we paid for our car.

It has not been too bad avoiding it until yesterday. After working 2 hours past shop closing on my feet all day (no breaks except 1 potty trip) I was wiped out. I wanted chinese food so bad! I was a bit cranky about it but got over it.

I have had a few complaints about no easy to eat stuff in the house but so far so good! I'm baking up a bunch of snacks today so they quit complaining.

We are back to the black belt frugal stuff. We had kind of gotten lazy with some of it once we had paid off all our debt and had the FFEF. Now we need to refill that FFEF. I have to say it has even been a bit fun!!!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ashley! I struggle more without a meal out more than the rest of my household since I do all the cooking. Got my big girl panties on and no more saying I deserve it. I DESERVE to work hard and get the emergency fund restocked fully. Hey I might gain a lot more than $ too!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Thanks Ashley! I struggle more without a meal out more than the rest of my household since I do all the cooking. Got my big girl panties on and no more saying I deserve it. I DESERVE to work hard and get the emergency fund restocked fully. Hey I might gain a lot more than $ too!
I know that feeling, as I am the chief cook here also! That is my biggest thrill, eating something I have not cooked myself!

Way to go on your frugal ways!!

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo for posting - you are a great role model for all of us. What a great way to get control of your life again!! Definitely cheering you on and remembering that if you can do it - I can do it!!

Reactions: nodmicks

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Awesome job! That's quite an accomplishment! I'm impressed! :clap:

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Way to go, Mick! I know what you mean. It's so nice to not have to cook a meal after having to fix dinner every night. You are doing a great job at sticking it out and reaching your goal. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am also inspired by your will power! That is awesome!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Definately understand. Today I really wanted a slice of white pizza with garlic. I even tried to order a pizza. Fortuantely the pizza place was closed. Then I went to CVS to see what frozen foods they have. On the way there I realized I had defrosted some cheese and had some really great bread in the freezer. So I ended up buying baking soda at CVS and bringing back their flyer and making grilled cheese sandwiches at home.

This month is going to be tight if I want to save any money which I really want to do.

I do not know how old your children are but you can always have a your time to cook night at your house. Even if it just means having soup and a sandwich or having someone reheat a meal from the freezer. That way you get that extra special feeling of being pampered and they get to understand about cooking especially for family.

·
Registered
460 Posts
that has been a big one here too. I knew my dh wouldnt eat breakfast if he couldnt stop and he has to be at work so early that stopping isnt an option so I spend 5 minutes while he is getting ready making him an egg sandwhich in the mornings. Its a bummer having to get up but at least I know he gets something. Good job!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for celebrating with me a bit!!! If I told my IRL friends this many would think I was nuts!

Shoiji That is an idea. I may try that out. Congrats on avoiding buying pizza!

Holly you are so nice to get up and do that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.