Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever think that you paid a bill, only to find out that you totally forgot to actually pay it? This is what happened to my mortgage payment for March. I am so mad. I could have swore I paid it. I went over all the bank stuff and sure enough, I didn't. I was wondering why we had some extra money. I just figured it was because I was getting my pay from the jobs I have been doing, and dh got some extra military pay. So, we have been doing things that we would not normally do such as eat out, and buy some little extras. I was trying to save some money, but the last couple weeks have been so busy with going out of town and stuff, that we had to eat out more than normal. Now, I am totally scrambling on how I am going to pay the bills and not have a zero balance in our accounts just in case we need something. I hate being broke!! Ok, my rant is over now. Guess we are just going to be back to square one with no extra money. :pdoff:

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I'm sorry this happened. Big hugs to you!

I am terrified that this will happen to me, so when we bought our house, I opened an account just for the mortgage money to sit until I was ready to write a check.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I pay mine bi-weekly right when I get paid. It is withdrawn from my account automatically so I can't forget to pay it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Sorry that this happened. A few years ago I remember I wrote out checks to pay some bills, got in my van and put the envelopes in that cubby on the door. Went to the post office and put them in the mailbox, negelected to count the envelopes. A few weeks later one of the credit card companies called to find out when I was paying the bill, and I was like I paid it and mailed it out on this date. Decided my check got lost in the mail, paid $25 to cancel payment on check and sent out another one, then found the original in the van. Moral of my story we all do stuff with bills we could kick ourselves in the rear for.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Yep, had it happen to me once or twice in the past 30 years. Boy, it's a lesson that you learn really well (for a long time anyway). I'm sorry that this has happened Tracy.:hugz:Hope you get over the hump and all will be well.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I am sorry this happened to you, I agree it's a lesson learned, now you have to get over it and move on. :hugz:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yep I have done that! I entered it as paid in Quicken but didn't do step 2 which was to actually pay it online at the bank. So, when i got the OVERDUE statement i couldn't figure it out..it was paid in my records!! DUH!!
Sorry that happened...but you definately aren't the only one! :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I pay mine bi-weekly right when I get paid. It is withdrawn from my account automatically so I can't forget to pay it.
This is what we do too.

Last year I wrote 3 cheques for the first time in about 9 years. Nine/ten years ago now we had a couple of checks bounce and ended up paying about $80 extra in penalty fees.

I didn't like the feeling of writing those cheques last year so I have stopped. Two of the cheques I wrote were in I believe Oct. , $100 for dd 15 basketball at school and another $100 for dd 14 soccer at school.......the school didn't even put them through until Dec. 15th. I don't like the feeling of wondering when the cheques will go through.

Anyhow, wanted to let you know that you are definately not alone:hugz:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
My sympathies... I have done that too... as a matter of fact, I have done it a few times.

When I was married, I thought HE sent the mortgage payment in... he didn't... chaos ensued...

I thought I paid the cable bill, insisted that I paid it... went up to the cable comapny to show them my registry and as I was flailing the checkbook at them, I said... Comcast... check number 1456... see? see??? right here!!!! (as I pointed to the check IN the checkbook... I burst in to tears and said I was sorry and explained I was going through a divorce, stressed and didn't mean to take it out on them. The guy was very nice (I think I scared him) he said he was a divorcee too, and told me as long as I promised to not turn DD against her dad, he would forgive me. He gave me a wink and the world went on.

Recently, I thought I paid the car payment... until they called the ex (bought car together) and asked where the payment was. Luckily he paid it for me because he knows I have been very busy with DD as of late, focusing on her reading.

So... Unless you assault someone with your checkbook... things will go on, the sun will raise and fall everyday, and if you call them and explain you thought you mailed it, they may be willing to work with you. Mortgage companies (some car) will give you a "pass" and they adjust the end date of the loan.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sorry to hear the mortgage hadn't been paid. I have mine automatically deducted from my checking account so I don't have to worry about forgetting.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Been there, done it to. I think everyone has at some time or the other.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have it set automatically because the Army has screwed dh's pay up one too many times and I would not want to have it deducted and not have the money there to cover it.
Dh called the mortgage company (they won't talk to me cause for some reason, I am not on the mortgage. Sent the paperwork to them giving me authorization, but they have not gotten it yet)He worked it all out and it won't be held against us. I wanted to pay the month we were late, and then pay the month that is due this month, but I have to pay it all together, so I will pay it at the end of the week. So glad that it is worked out. I hate being behind on the bills.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I was First preg I was kinda always too busy and i apparently wound up send people the wrong checks , i sent people recipts and random stuff from not paying attention. *sighs* Now that is a hard one.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
been there and done that a few times. it's a wonder dh still lets me pay the bills, but he's worse than me. i forgot to pay something a couple of months ago, felt like a heel when i figured out i forgot to write the check and mail it. but as some one else said, the world goes on. don't beat yourself up when it happens. glad it's been straightened out. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts