Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you know I got this AWESOME pt job as a merchandiser. I have to drive a VERY dangerous 75 % two lane highway to get to some of my stores. Well in the beginning this was no problem.I felt confident and was...good. Then Monday happened...I was on my way to one of my stores when I had an 18 wheeler tailgate me for several miles! I had nowhere to go and was already going 60 mph. People often pass unsafely and you are forced to slam on your brakes to avoid accidents and he was less than a cars length behind me doing 60 mph. I have never been so scared in my life, I even called 911 for reckless driving.As soon as I was able to I pulled over and let him pass me pulled myself together and got back on the road. I also reported him to his company.
Well yesterday I had to trek out there again as I will yet again this afternoon and even with taking my xanax I had a really hard time doing the drive. I had minor panic attacks all the way there. I could really use some prayers to help me get through and over this. Driving has been such a hard thing for me since my accident anyways and I have finally gotten comfortable again and now this.
TIA

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was sideswiped on the freeway and I, too, have severe driving anxiety from that event, as well. I would get on mapquest and try to find a side-route to your stores, or use a GPS unit to take you to your destination, avoiding that road all together (some of them let you specify route, mine does). Sorry that happened to you. You have my sympathies.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Sending hugs and blessings your way.

Reactions: mom23boyz

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Prayer for your safety and so your nervousness.

My dad taught me to tap my brakes to signal to a semi that it was getting to close.

He also would turn turn on his headlights when a semi was getting to close for comfort so they could see him well.

Some people do a polite beep of their horns to let a semi know it is making you nervous.

Pulling over when you can is the best thing to do.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Prayers sent.

I would try to find a safer route, even if it meant losing time and taking more gas. There's nothing scarier than having someone tailgate you on a two lane highway.

I had an eighteen wheeler tailgate me at 60 mph in the right hand lane of an eight lane highway and I was taking the next exit! I put my flashers on and he backed off. Close call.

·
19,119 Posts
Been there and it is very scary. Great advice here - and I know that you can get through this. Sending prayers, hugs and aloha as you process the situation and handle it in the best way possible.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My advice is to look at this challange as something that will make you stronger. It will be very scary for awhile, but if you keep at it you will get comfortable with the road and be able to handle it. Until then my prayers are with you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to all of you!! I received them all. I wasn't able to get online to see all of them but could feel a sense of peace as I was driving....I just kept thinking of my friends here sending me good vibes :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Last year I also had a panic attack on a major highway (for another reason) and I also was able to pull over and thankfully dh was in the car and was able to take over the wheel. For a long time I wasn't able to drive on this type of highway.

However not ever being able to drive this kind of road is also not an option for me and I had to find ways to do it. Firstly I did smaller pieces of this kind of road and started singing along loudly with the radio/CD or I asked someone to go with me to talk to me to distract me.

(Before I leave the house I make sure that I have a great CD playing in my car and I sing along loudly - I don't want to think about how I look lol.)

Fast forward to now. I now dare to do it again.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Ticking your brakes so that they light up (but you don't brake) will scare anyone tailgating you and I have used this method a LOT.
It works.

(((HUGS))))

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Goodness mom! You poor girl! My heart was in my throat reading your post. This is why I know I'll never drive....I'd panic and do a complete stand-still that'll get me and everyone in the car killed. :bolt: I'm just glad you were able to get over safely, because I'm sure that was no easy task. :relieved: And thumbs up for calling in on that driver. He probably thought he was funny.....the CREEP!!

Hang in there sweetie! You got some good advice here. I'm sure it'll get better

Theresa :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
scary situation for sure. Glad to hear that you have made the trip feeling the thoughts and prayers for your safety along the way.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
We're all with ya on that road, girl! Don't be scared!

Ever since a guy came out of my right blind side suddenly a couple of years ago, I am all skittish about cars coming up to my right. It's nerve wracking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're in my thoughts, so sorry you have to deal with this!
I was the victim of a rollover caused by swerving to avoid the car that quickly drifted into my lane. Thank goodness for seatbelts.
I'm over my fear of driving for the most part, but have mini panic attacks whenever cars start to drift out of their lanes, its very scary.

((Big hugs))

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.