Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year I would not even put the tabs on by myself but yesterday I replaced the wildshield wipers and and added antifreeze with out any help(ok maybe the internet, does that count?) When it warms up, I plan on teaching myself to change the oil.

I don't know when I became such a wuss when it comes to taking care of my car. In high school I took a car class where we took apart a car for gosh sakes.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
WTG
I ned to replace mine this weekend.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It was a requirement by my father to show I was able to do simple maintance on a car prior to getting my DL. We plan on doing the same with our kids.

Lextysmommy, a funny story about gas in the car. My grandmother never once put gas in her car, grandpa always did it for her. Shortly after he died, she called me from a gas station crying cause she didn't know what to do. Through the whole marriage grandpa always made sure she had gas in her car, even getting up early to take care of it before he went to work. I find that to be so sweet. Thanks to the kindness of a stranger my grandma now knows how to do it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Justpeachy, that is a sweet story about your grandma. Im sure there is alot of things that the significant others of some cant do. For example, my father never did wash until he was 48. My parents divorced, and I went to his house to show him. ;)

Sorry to hijack thread!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I agree with you, though sometimes I think when doing it is forced on the other person they do it quite well. A few years ago my dh's grandmother had a stroke, she can't do anything for herself anymore. Grandpa has cooked us a dinner a couple of times, and I hate to say this. But even with grandma sitting there giving him instructions his pot roast tastes much better then hers. Grandpa really has surprised me, grandma always catered to him...and I am amazed at how he has stepped up and doesn't ask for help, when help is offered he doesn't like taking it. It is almost a fight to get him to let me wash a sink full of dishes.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Learning basic things about your car is a great thing. Changing oil will save you money compared to paying to have it done.

That reminds me I need to check my oil right now while thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Good for you! :applause:

·
Registered
22 Posts
WTG!! You are great! My dad always teaches me something new everytime he visits which is once a year for about a month (he lives on the west coast and I live on the east coast.)
Just real quick for everyone to know (my dad who is an avid animal lover told me this) always add antifreeze in the resivoire at the local gas station or anywhere away from home expecially if you have pets. A little antifreeze can kill an animal (dogs or cats are most prone they lick most anything). Just for next time.

GREAT JOB!

·
Registered
82 Posts
WTG! Just the fact that you took the initiative makes all the difference in the world. And once you learn how to change your own oil you'll find that you feel like :hero:

It saves so much money too! And once you've mastered the oil there are so many other "easy fixes" on the horizon . . . last year we needed a new starter on our 92 Pathfinder. I was going to be lazy and pay somebody to fix it. WRONG! There are only two shops in town that deal with starters (not counting car dealerships) and the first one told me that I'd hafta take the starter off myself and bring it in and he'd rebuild it for $145 with a 90 day guarantee. The second shop told me to bring the car in and they'd take it off, send it to THE FIRST GUY, and when it was rebuilt they'd put it back on. The cost? $74/hour for labor and the $145 for the rebuild. I got out my Chiltons repair manual for my truck and found that FOUR BOLTS held the starter on. Got on the phone and called the local parts store and found out that a BRAND NEW starter was $93 with a one year guarantee. Needless to say I fixed it myself.

Justpeachy92, my father was the same way. The day that I learned how to change oil he showed me on his truck and then made me do it myself on the other two vehicles. The best thing he ever did for me was teaching me to do all the "boy" things that he could think of. He told me that he watched my mother (they divorced when I was 5) be dependant on someone else because she couldn't do anything and she stayed stuck in an abusive marriage because she was scared of being out on her own. He said "I don't want you to EVER have to depend on ANY man for something you can do yourself." It's the best gift a father could ever give his daughter.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Thanks for posting this, it got me to thinking that we need to be showing our girls how to take care of these things without a man.
I don't know what happened to me. I used to be so independent but my dh has spoiled me so much that I don't do any of that stuff for myself. Then I end up waiting on him to get the time and getting mad when I have to wait to long.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
:congrats: WTG!!! I'm sure you'll be changing the oil like a pro in no time!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
AnnK, a little off topic, but something has been bugging me . . .

Are you in a big bubblebath in your avatar picture? OMG I know that sounds so weird, but each time I see your pic I can't help but think that you're SO happy in your big ol' bubblebath and how much I really want to take one. LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts