Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in Germany for the next at least 2 years. We have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer worth KBB person to person $12,000. It has 72,000 miles on it and now the transmission is bad. MY husband and I both work on cars, but just incase we had the car mechanic here on base (who I wouldn't let work on my car anyway) and a German mechanic who can work on US spec cars look at it. It needs a new transmission.

My question is, everyone besides my husband and I keep questioning us asking "is it worth it?". It will cost about 4K to have a rebuilt transmission shipped to Germany and we will then have to borrow a larger vehicle or truck and drive 3 hours to get it. This is with my husband or I putting it in.

Why do they keep asking me this? Am I just that slow? There is no way I could replace my car for 4K. Can anyone help me? What would you do? Why do they keep asking me this? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Because they are very bad at math. They think buying a new car, losing 20% of the value in the first year and paying thousands in interest makes MORE financial sense than paying 4k for a transmission.

And if you buy a new car because the old tranny is bad, that's validation that it's ok to do for them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
German mentalities are a bit different from ours but they do love their autos.

Some of the reasons I can see they are concerned is....

Chevy's are rare here so if you have another part go bad, you could be adding to the price tag.

Its a big vehicle and is a gas guzzler by their standards. Gas in Europe is much higher than in the USA.

They pay a lot of taxes and fees for cars. I believe it can cost more for fees the older it gets. They also have to have it inspected more often the older they get. Regulations increase and so forth.

But the biggest thing I think is probably a problem in translation. Its just hard for them to believe you would do this so they are just asking a question. They truly want to know why, when, where and so forth. They are very matter of fact in general.

I would suggest the next time they ask, is to make this a conversation and engage them back as to why they wouldn't.

*IMHO

Reactions: Lindsey

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I got the impression that the people asking the question were not German, but US soldiers and spouses on base with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well then if so Greebo you got the right answer, if it was the Germans then perhaps I did. :)

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
I think they are asking because it looks like a lot of effort. Special ordering the transmission, driving 3 hours !!! to get it, etc. Plus the cost. A lot of people would just buy a new one rather than hassle with it.

The answer of course, is the one you gave us. "Yes, it's worth it, I couldn't replace the truck for $4000. "

FWIW my mechanic here gives me the same answer when I ask about having our 11 year old wagon repaired. "Is it cheaper than a new car payment?"

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
One other view is just the fact of working on cars......maybe that isn't their thing and they can't understand it. To them maybe 'time' is money and they see you putting lots of time in...........maybe they don't understand your view on the saving part of it.

Good luck with it...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Or with the high quality of German cars and their high opinion of themselves (no offense intended), they cannot understand why you don't switch to a German car? Apparently, the American car is falling apart.....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greebo is right as my husband is in the US Army and is stationed here. It's not even the German's who are asking us if it is worth it it is the American's. We also have to have the same inspections the German's do and Autozone(a car part place in the States) will ship other parts for free to us (transmission is to heavy and has to be shipped freight). Looks like I will be buying a transmission. Thanks for the logic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts