Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was babysitting my 2y/o Granddaughter today. We were having a great time playing with the dog and playing on the swingset. She was on the bottom rung of her ladder to the slide, turned to look at Tia (dog), then she slipped and fell, landed on her arm and broke it in two places. I was standing right beside her. It happened so fast... I can't express how bad I feel. She is in a splint now then Mon morn gets a cast on. The Doc says these things happen but I still feel horrible.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
These things really do happen , right in front of you and you can't do anything to stop it.

My daughter broke her arm falling off a scooter just a few feet away from me. And whats worse , I accused her of being overly dramatic about it. I didn't believe she was really that hurt.

YOUR NOT A BAD NANA xoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
oh noo !! no you are not bad in fact you most likely could have been looking at her and she could have fell just as quick plus its all in how they fall too -
i am sorry - mothers guilt is horrible i am sure Nana guilt can be even worse !!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It is so scary as to how fast things like this can happen.

My nephew's son (2 yrs old) just had his middle finger accidently cut off by a bow that his dad was was showing his wife. He pulled the bow back to test it and his son quickly grabbed the bow. The string sliced the end of his finger off to the first joint. His dad is devastated and blames himself for the accident. Both mom and dad were right there.

Their son is doing quite well, has a little cast-like item on his hand to help it heal. He calls it his "boo boo".
Please don't beat yourself up, it is an accident and only that.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I am so sorry.It must be upsetting that it happened on your watch so to speak. But it isn't your fault. Think of it this way. If you were a bystander, and it happene with your daughter (or daughter in law) what would you tell her? It wasn't your fault. Accidents happen. Give the kiddo extra nana loves. (Besides...what better opportunity to give extra lovings???)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All is good. Julia got her cast today and cried for me so I had them over for dinner and she wouldn't leave my side. She kept patting me saying " It be ok, Nana". lol

I'd put a pic but don't know how (sigh).

·
19,119 Posts
How sweet of her - she loves you so very much - you are a blessed nana!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yup! Just a split second, and things happen. But I know you must've felt so much better when she wanted you. How sweet is that? See, you're not a bad nana at all. In her eyes, you're the NICEST nana in the world, and she loves you very much!

Awww! What a bittersweet memory this will be for you! I bet when she gets a little older, she'll ask you a thousand times to tell her the story of her broken arm. :thumb:

Hugs!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My DGranddaughter got her cast off yesterday! YEAH!! My DS said she spent all evening playing with her old cast and trying to put it back on. lol

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
My DGranddaughter got her cast off yesterday! YEAH!! My DS said she spent all evening playing with her old cast and trying to put it back on. lol
:cheergrl: I am so glad she got the cast off and she has healed well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Kids are bound and determined to hurt themselves and there isn't much you can do to stop it once they put their minds to it! You sound like a good Nana to me.

Maybe this will make you feel better: My daughter fell out of the same kitchen window, right under my nose, not once but TWICE! Both times, she was less than 6 feet away from me. The second time I had the window open, I erroneously assumed falling once would be enough, and she wouldn't dream of doing it again.

I was wrong.

I never opened that window again.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Awww, you are not a bad nana at all. Things happen so fast to little ones and see how much she loves you! I am glad she is okay. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.