Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad stopped here last night (my only living parent ) and I was asking him questions on how he has been feeling..a little background about my Dad he is 58yrs old and had a Heart attact close to 4yrs ago he was told by the Dr that after fixing the one artery that he had another clogged at 80% and the Dr's comment was why fix something that isn't broken... Dad also is a diabetic, has high blood pressure,high cholesterol and is over weight in his belly..well for the past month he has been telling me that he has weakness in his one arm and it was from what he thought was a pulled muscle so I told him you really need to see your Dr maybe it's not a pulled muscle? He is a boneheaded German and said it's just a pulled muscle period..Anyway he was sitting here telling me that he had really bad chest pain Sat night and he's pretty sure it was a slight heart attack..Hello...why didn't you call me or call an ambulance??? then if thats not bad enough he tells me that Sun afternoone he takes his shoes off and both legs from the knee down are swollen and rock hard...I told him he can't put it off anymore that his swollen legs is probably heart related or he might have a blood clot...He refuses saying that he needs to work another 700 hrs so his insurance is good for another year (he is an operating engineer in the Union) and that he needs at least 2 months of bills paid in advance so when he goes in for surgery he will be set for that time..I told him he is playing with his life and I begged him to please do it now not wait for another couple of months..

So this morning I called him on his cell to beg him to go see the Dr that he won't make it another couple of months he needs to go now.. He tells`me I know I'm gonna have another Heart attack that his urine is a dark yellow and has constant loose stools among the other signs I mentioned all previous signs of his last Heart attack and his vision is blurred..I told him that Dh and I have enough money and available credit to see him through this..he declines and still insists that he needs to work at least another 6 weeks..He also told me if he died he wouldn't change anything in his life and if he had a stroke and couldn't talk on what I need to do to take over his estate..I'm starting to feel the pain like he's already dead..I know I've done everything I can on my part but I just want to scream and cry cause I know that something really bad is gonna happen and I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to handle whatever happens..I know that my father has his mind set and theres no changing it...He is not trying to upset me if anyone is thinking it..he only told me caused I nag him other wise I wouldn't know anything..I'm sure there is more that he's not telling me too...Thanks for listening and just letting me get it all out..

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Sounds hard! I am so sorry! Big hugs to you, your dad and you are in my prayers

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sending prayers for you and your dad. If you would like, I will add him to our church's prayer chain. Just need to know his first name.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I too will be praying for you and your father, God Bless and take it easy. :hugz:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We will be sure to keep you all in our prayers and thoughts.

·
27,948 Posts
I'm so sorry. I lost a father who didn't take care of himself (had all the signs of a heart attack and ignored them)he died at age 41 and left behind a wife and 5 kids the oldest being me at age 13. I so feel your pain and frustration. If only he (my Dad)knew that things would have been fine money wise, we would have found a way but to have him not there in our lives was the cruelest loss of all.
I hope your Dad lets you help him. Can you call his doctor and enlist his help?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I pray that he will realize that he needs to seek medical attention now. I pray that you will find comfort somehow.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm soo sorry to hear that you are going through this. I will keep you and your father in my thoughts and prayers. I am praying that everything works out well for him and that he seeks medical attention soon. Take Care.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so sorry. I lost a father who didn't take care of himself (had all the signs of a heart attack and ignored them)he died at age 41 and left behind a wife and 5 kids the oldest being me at age 13. I so feel your pain and frustration. If only he (my Dad)knew that things would have been fine money wise, we would have found a way but to have him not there in our lives was the cruelest loss of all.
I hope your Dad lets you help him. Can you call his doctor and enlist his help?

OMG...All I can do is cry reading your post.. you do know how I feel..I thank you for sharing your hardship with me((HUGS))..I know you and your family must of went through hell especially all of you being so young...All I can do is pray that my Dad makes the right choice so myself and my brothers don't have to face what the near future has to bring us..

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your kindness and prayers..My Dads name is Hank..

·
27,948 Posts
:hug2: Can you talk to his doctor and enlist his help? Time for an intervention with all of you and anyone else who cares for him to face him together. Sounds like he may be depressed too. Big big hugs.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:hug2: Can you talk to his doctor and enlist his help? Time for an intervention with all of you and anyone else who cares for him to face him together. Sounds like he may be depressed too. Big big hugs.

He needs to find another Dr..The first heart attact back 4 yrs ago he didn't have any insurance and had to file bankruptcy so that Dr is out of the question...I have talked to my brothers and theres just no talking to Dad when he has his mindset..He probably is depressed although he would never tell me that..(it's a man thing)..his last girlfriend who was alot younger then him by 20 plus years left him for another man after a 9yr relationship and I'm not sure if he ever bounced back from it..My father is a ladies man and has no trouble finding women mostly younger ones..however nothing he wants to settle down with so he's probably lonely in that sence as he's never been lived alone for so long..I can't help him in that area..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I saw your post and just wanted to say that I will add your father Hank to my prayers.
I know how you feel, my dad is very stubborn and for the last 2 years we have been trying to get him to see a doctor and he did go several months ago but ignored the doctor to a certain degree. Then he started feeling bad. He finally went last month and his blood pressure is so high that they immediately got him on three different medicines and they found out him being diabetic is worse. They put him on a strict diet. He grumbled of course but this time around he has taken it seriously.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
:hugz: I'm sorry you're going through this hard time with your dad. I hope you can get him the help he so desperately needs.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'll keep you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry you are going through this. My father was extremely depressed for several years off and on. He's finally found a steady girlfriend and it's made a huge difference (at least to ease my mind). I worry about him less, because I know someone would be there to call an ambulance if he was having any signs of stroke or heart attack.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through, Brenda. Since he doesn't have a regular doctor, could you convince him to go to an emergency clinic at least? I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

--Michelle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts