Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To finally jack my Comcast cable down to basic at 10.75 a month. Will I go board? Can we adapt?

I am morts cold sweat.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Wow! Good for you. That is a big step . You'll probably find an amazing amount of shows that interest you on just the basic channels and not really miss the others after awhile. The really good part is the money that will be freed up byswitching to basic.

--Michelle

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I think you will be fine, I wish DH would let me cut down the cable but he wont have it. :( But for me I wouldnt care less, I dont watch much TV to begin with. :)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
enjoy the extra time you have without the tv on now - there's not as much to choose from, so you may find yourself doing other things during your normal "tv time" :D

My basic comcast cost $7/mth - we have all the basic local channels & that's all we need. :D PBS has cartoons too!

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have basic from comcast & it's like $16 a month... There are times when I don't even turn my TV on.. I like the quiet when I can get it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We got rid of cable completely about six months ago. Netflix and cable internet still, but the lack of tV isn't really missed.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I tried but the kids drove me insain crying about the Noggin and nick Jr.
I made the mistake of telling her mommy didnt want to pay that bill anymore and she didnt get what I ment. When my parents were vistiing she wanted to watch noggin and i told her we didnt have it and she blurts out " Mommy, just pay the bill, so we can have it back"

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
we haven't had cable in 5 years! the basic package here is $50 plus fees and crap! its much cheaper to get the dish, so once we are in a position to do so we will get that. i wish we had a $10 option :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
I want to know where you guys live that you can get basic cable for that cheap?? I currently have nothing. I got rid of satellite, and the cheapest basic cable here is over $40/mo.

·
Registered
442 Posts
About four years ago, we got rid of our TV completely. Yes, completely!

We're not total Luddites, though. The kids watch the occasional DVD (which we borrow from the library), using our laptop computer. My husband keeps track of the games that interest him using the same laptop, and I sometimes watch a primetime TV show on network website viewer after the kids go to bed.

We read more books and get more exercise than when we had the TV. We have more conversations, and we play more games. We spend more time outdoors, enjoying nature. The kids do their homework with less arguing... really! Our home life has improved dramatically.

From the perspective of frugality, it has saved us a boatload of money. Besides the lack of a cable bill, the cost of the TV & accessories (DVD/VHS player), and the electric bill to keep the thing running, we have also saved money because the kids no longer have the "gimmes" from the incessant advertising. And, that alone made it worth it!

Going TV-less is not for everyone, but it has been a wonderful blessing for us.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We're not TV addicts here, but there are certain shows we like to watch every now and then so right after DS was born we got rid of DirectTV and I realized I don't miss it at all. We bought a reliable antenna from Ace and we get 15 channels, more than enough for me to watch. The best part is the no monthly bill. :lol:

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
We dropped to basic about 2 years ago. We kept the basic, so the local channels would come in clearer and our internet price would remain cheaper. We pay $54 for both.

Sometimes I miss having all the channels. I liked watching Discovery, animal planet and HGTV. I can get the food channel on the bedroom tv, it has a lot of static on the others.

We've been thinking about getting digital cable or sattelite. Not sure if we will.

Comcast just cut 2 more channels from their basic, so we only get local, shopping and WGN. we have disc. health that is fuzzy most of the time. It's not really worth it anymore, but the internet would be more than that if we dropped it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After about two weeks tops, youll be all adjusted! We went without cable for 6 months, and I did not miss it at all. All the shows I even watch are on prime time regular channels. I would have never signed back up but dh needs to have it for some reason...he barely watches it himself.

·
Registered
737 Posts
We went without cable for a couple of years as well. We had an antenna and got the prime channels like PBS, NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX. Now down here not much came in with the antenna, but we're planning on canceling this summer because our "special" rate is going to expire. I find I rarely watch any other channels anyway. Plus, we really did have so much more time on our hands. I can't believe how cheap your basic cable is.

·
Registered
491 Posts
We didn't have cable for YEARS, and we just barely got it because I had to get the Comcast highspeed internet access in order to work from home. It didn't cost us any extra to get it, so we now have it. I have to admit, I LOVE The Food Network, but that's about the only channel I watch consistently. Other than that, I don't turn it on. If they would give us the internet cheaper without it, I wouldn't even get it. I'm not really into TV.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I have Comcast and they just raised the rates $3 per month...again. I called the operator & checked on their website,and am seriously considering downgrading a plan to save $$. I do like the high speed internet access. I went a year with no cable my first year I bought my house as all my $$ was going into home improvements,and I got by fine with a $20 antenna from the store.

Sigh....I think how nice it would be to have the money in my pocket rather than Comcast, but there are a handful of channels I would really miss....let us know how you do!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just learned that I watched the history channel religiously. I never noticed this fact. And I keep trying to find the home and garden channels for clean house, neat, and Homs on Homes.

I am saving 60.00 a month. If I were saving less I would most likely break down and get a larger plan, but so far I am adapting.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
We were able to get the cable internet with subscribing to the cable tv and that's what we did. We only get five tv channels which are ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and FOX. About the only things I watch are Lost, Heros, American Idol and sometimes a program like 20/20 or Dateline. Sometimes I like to watch a gameshow like Deal or No Deal but those shows frustate me becasue I see these people who have the chance to walk away with big bucks but they keep on until they have nothing.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
We have no cable here, either. I got rid of it about 8 years ago. We watch a lot less TV than we used to, and can usually find something to watch when we do want to. It's not just the $ that I didn't want to spend, but the fact that there were so many shows I had to be vigilent about the kids not watching. It was a good decision for us.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I haven't had cable in a long time. I got tired of having to screen everything dd was watching on tv and she practically lived in front of the tv. Now she hardly watches any and goes to bed earlier, too. She reads in bed where she used to be up in front of tv.

I miss HGTV, USA and Sci-Fi channel and that's about it. There's plenty to watch on regular tv.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts