Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DS10 has asthma has been all of his life I suppose but we realized it on his 4th birthday when he had a full blown attack. Anyways anytime he gets sick he has an attack, we usually get it under co9ntrol at home with his nebulizer. Well his last attack was about a month ago a was pretty bad. We had to do 2 treatments and at one point he was struggling to the point he was kicking his feet again though we handled it and all was well. Well yesterday my very active lil guy came home said hi and went to bed where he slept rather deeply I might add for almost 4 hours. He was running a fever which DS11 just got over Wed. So I figured he would probably have one his lil attacks last night well boy was I wrong. He had a MAJOR attack.Within 5 minutes he went from I crouppy cough to gasping for air. We did a treatment and he said he needed another. So we did another and he said he felt better. He usually coughs after the treatment coughs up a bit a stuff and we're good to go. Well he coughed a bit and I thought he seemed to still be struggling a bit, woke up my SIL to get a second opinion, within a minute he was grabbing at me and couldn't breathe at all again. I ran him back to the couch back on machine and called 911. The ambulance and paramedics came, in what seemed like forever. His oxygen was down to 90, they loaded him up and off to the hospital he went. Within an an hour and half he'd had 5 treatments.And then he was put on oxygen and then another continuous treatment but stronger. His heart was going so fast I could see it through his shirt. I have never been so scared in my entire life.:ack:. They released him with Prednisone prescription. Hes home now and says he feels fine but I am so scared for tonight to roll around again. Thanks all for letting me vent :hugz: Sorry so long

·
27,948 Posts
Oh No! How terrifying for all of you! I'm so glad they got him stabalized & that he's home with you. Big big hug & wishing for quiet nights ahead & everyone breathing easy.:hug2:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am so glad you are home and your little guy is feeling better. I hope all goes well for you both tonight.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
That is so scary! I'm so glad your little guy is better now. My DS (also 10) has asthma, but it has never been severe. (Knock on wood.) I can only imagine what you were going through before the EMS arrived.

--Michelle

·
Registered
353 Posts
Terrifying...I'm so glad he's doing better. I was born with asthma but thankfully it's not severe and well controlled with a rescue inhalor. Even so, that "can't get your breath" feeling is very, very scary.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I know how he feels its very scary.......... Ah predisone....miricle drug........ I can't live with out it........ Qith luck. He will not have another attack like that for a long time..........
Fern

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
This is scary. I would pray for your little boy. Do you have any idea what triggers these episodes? My daughter who is now 16 1/2 was on inhaled steriods as a child but no longer uses them. :hug2:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I am so glad to hear he is doing better. that must have been very scary for you and son. Hope tonight goes well.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
:hugz: to both of you. DD and I both have asthma, so I know how he felt in the midst of the attack, and I know how you felt as the Mom. No fun for either of you. I'm glad it's over, and hopefully he'll outgrow it. :hugz:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
So sorry your son had to go through that. I suffer from asthma, too so I know what he's been there. I know the Prednisone really helps me and I'm sure it will help him. Asthma always seems to get worse at night. I will say a prayer for him.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am glad your son is going to be ok. I know that must have been terrifying.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
hope he gets better soon. my dd is always on prednisone, its pretty good stuff. she normally starts feeling alot better in about 2-3 days after shes on the meds. good luck!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is scary. I would pray for your little boy. Do you have any idea what triggers these episodes? My daughter who is now 16 1/2 was on inhaled steriods as a child but no longer uses them. :hug2:
Yeah his attacks are illness induced. Hes needed to use the machine all weekend but nothing like Friday night thank goodness.
Thanks all for your support!:mushy:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How's the poor kid feeling now? Tell him we are all rooting for him!!!
Thanks for asking Lori!
Hes feelin pretty cruddy to be honest. He keeps saying"I hate being sick mom." His lil voice is pretty gone too.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm so sorry you and your son had to go through this. I can only imagine how scared the two of you were. My youngest grandson, 1yr, has asthma and the doctors say he may or may not grow out of it. His attacks are brought on by illness too. He is in surgery this morning having his adnoids taken out and tubes put in his ears as he has way to many ear infections. I'm waiting to hear how little Trevor came through his procedure. Because of his asthma, they will keep him most of the day to watch him just in case he has an attack. His brothers, ages 2 & 5 spent the night with me so I will have a very full day ahead of me when they wake up this morning.

Praying your son recovers quicky and he feels better soon.

Big (((HUGS))) to you both!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I know how nerve racking that can be. I remember makng many ER runs with my son up until he was 4 for his asthma. His new dr allows me to keep the predenisone in the house so when I hear the croup or the wheeze that does not let up with the first nebulizer we immeditely give him the steroids. They usually kick in in about 45 minutes or so. Maybe you can ask your dr for a bottle to keep in the house in case of emergency.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts