Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. That's how long it's been since it was on sale around here, my stockpile is completely gone. I used to buy 2-3 jars when the price went to $1.99 but it has to have been 6 months since I last saw it anywhere near that price. Well, on sale period. And Helmann's never seems to have coupons. Grr.

And what is with store/package coupons lately? I haven't seen the shelf displays or red blinky dispensers since Thanksgiving? I got some this week off a package of instant flavored coffee, but only because it was a holiday flavor and in the clearance basket. What are you guys seeing?

And this week's newspaper inserts sucked, too.

Reactions: NewLeaf

·
19,119 Posts
We can get mayo on salae here - store brand for over $4 for 30 oz. totally ridiculous - but then, need to stock up on whatever sales now because - unfortunately - it will get worse...ugh!!

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Here at Publix this week Kraft Mayo is bogo w/no coupon it is $2.54 a jar. I passed it up so far because the use by date is August. I just opened a jar I had in the pantry and I don't know if I would use the one I just opended and then two more by August.

Maybe I will go back and get them??????????

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Decent mayo is very expensive here, so I've started making my own. Delicious, dirt cheap, and all you need is egg, oil, salt, and lemon juice. There is a learning curve, but I'll never buy premade again, for both taste and economical reasons.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
share your fave recipe please!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
We buy Miracle Whip. Best price a couple week ago was 2/$5. (30 oz not 32oz jars) at Meijers? The expiration is SEPT 2011.

Sams club has it but a tub (trough) of mayo is not needed here.
AND yes!! the coupons this week stank. Thank goodness for the internet.

·
27,948 Posts
With the warmer weather on the way sales of Mayo should be coming our way & when they do, we'll all be stocking up. Or maybe we'll be making our own.;)
Stick blender really can help with whipping it together.

Reactions: jilly_beans and jas

·
Super Moderator
20,690 Posts
I was reading that manufacturers have been absorbing some of the price increases. Maybe that's why there haven't been as many coupons.

Don't you worry about salmonella using raw eggs in mayo? I've thought about using pasteurized egg substitute instead of eggs. I'm also curious if there's a good reduced-fat recipe.

Unopened mayo keeps long past the sell-by date. We often buy outdated close-outs and there's nothing wrong with them. I probably wouldn't use them if they were years past the date, but a few months don't hurt. Once they're open, they'll last the same amount of time as usual.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I got a couple of jars of Spectrum vegan mayo at Dotties (salvage) for .99? two years ago or so. I can't tell the difference and since I'm closer to 60 than 40 and I can't imagine using mustard instead of mayo, like DH does, that's what I've got. When I ran out of the salvage stuff, I just winced and bought 2 jars of the stuff at full price.

I'll probably run out in the summer too. I'll be more alert about it now, thanks!

Judi

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't you worry about salmonella using raw eggs in mayo?
Commercial mayo is made with raw eggs and is not cooked. Surprise. Most people do not know that. The acidity of the lemon juice is what preserves it and keeps it safe from bacteria.

I do know how to make my own and I will for special occasions, but for everyday use, no. Between coleslaw, ranch dressing, other dips, sandwiches and all we can go through a large jar in a month or less, especially in summer when we eat a lot more salad.

Reactions: FrabjousDay

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here at Publix this week Kraft Mayo is bogo w/no coupon it is $2.54 a jar. I passed it up so far because the use by date is August. I just opened a jar I had in the pantry and I don't know if I would use the one I just opended and then two more by August.

Maybe I will go back and get them??????????

Kraft has some of the shortest exp. dates I've ever seen. Check out the exp. dates on the store brand next time you go to the store. Their salad dressing is just as bad with exp. dates.

IMO, the short exp. dates and sales are just to clear out the warehouses of products and to keep the manufacturer cycle going. They normally put out high $ coupons to go along with the short exp. dates and sales.

I'll have to try out the recipe that was posted. We don't use a jar of mayo before it "expires" and end up throwing half a bottle or tub out at least once a year it seems.

·
4,028 Posts
Alton Brown of Good Eats has a great recipe and that's the one I use:

Ingredients

* 1 egg yolk*
* 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* 2 pinches sugar
* 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
* 1 cup oil, safflower or corn

Directions

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

He leaves it at room temperature so the acidity can kill off any bacteria.

I have used all white vinegar instead of white wine vinegar with great tasting results.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Title says it all. That's how long it's been since it was on sale around here, my stockpile is completely gone. I used to buy 2-3 jars when the price went to $1.99 but it has to have been 6 months since I last saw it anywhere near that price. Well, on sale period. And Helmann's never seems to have coupons. Grr.

And what is with store/package coupons lately? I haven't seen the shelf displays or red blinky dispensers since Thanksgiving? I got some this week off a package of instant flavored coffee, but only because it was a holiday flavor and in the clearance basket. What are you guys seeing?

And this week's newspaper inserts sucked, too.
I just bought a 30 oz. jar of Kraft on sale at Safeway yesterday for $1.99. No one in our house eats it except for DH, so I don't buy it often and haven't noticed how often it goes on sale. I know that it tends to go on sale in the summer when the other condiments go on sale.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
We usually eat Miracle Whip but so many of my favorite Paula Deen recipes call for mayo and since MW is sweet I buy both.

If It isn't on sale I buy our store brand and it tastes fine. Not "off" at all. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and give the store brands a chance. Usually they are pretty darn good.

Grocery shopping amounts....aka another reason to cry!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.