Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if the title wasn't a dead give away... today's meeting with DD's school was not the happy joy joy experience I was hoping it would be!!!

Why???? Because the chairwoman of the school (who admitted to NEVER setting eyes or even being academically FAMILIAR with DD) totally ignored what we all said!!!!

I presented them with a plan (based on Reed & Kellogg and following Charlotte Mason) for end of year/summer learning to make sure DD is caught up so she can progress to the second grade. All (except HER) was receptive to the ideas. DD's teacher recommended retention to the first grade... DD is very strong in math, science, music, art, gym... but is still having a hard time reading and is writing phonetically.

When I expressed my concern that if we did hold DD back, she will be bored in the areas she is already advanced in and asked if it was possible to give her more complex work to keep her challenged. Nope. They do what they do... and since she is having a hard time in ONE area, she can't move on, and she will have to do 2+2 AGAIN when she is already adding more complex numbers and starting the 100th placing.

I want to homeschool! Not because I want to stay home in fuzzy slippers and have fun with playdoh but because I know my daughter best. If we hold her back, she already has a 'black mark' against her because the other first grade teachers are already well aware of DD's learning problems. Lovely.

I have to convince her father that homeschooling is our only option. Private schools don't deal with Spec. Ed. Changing schools isn't really an option unless I give custody to her father so she can attend the school in the next town.

We attended the meeting, we were a force, a wall, me, DF, DD's dad and DD's grandmother!!! They saw the look of apathy in the chairwoman's eyes... the tone of her voice when I suggested option after option and questioned the best interests of DD.

SHE NEVER MET DD!!!!! Yet, she knows best? She didn't even know DD's NAME and seemed annoyed that we were even PRESENT!!!!!

I need help! How can I get all my things together, have all the facts and figures and present

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I totally agree with what you are saying. What I gathered from 1 year of my kids being in the school system was that the school has a "one -size- fits -all" mentality. You know the needs of your child much more than some 'expert teacher". Just b/c they have a teaching diploma, does not mean that they are capable of giving your child what she needs.We are now in our eighth year of Homeschooling and every one of my children learn differently. I have a daughter that is in grade 9 for her algebra and grammar, but she is a year ahead with everything else...then I have a son that I will be holding back a year in spelling,while he will be proceeding to the next grade with his other classes. Some of my children finish their school year in March.I let them take a week off, then they proceed until May with the next year's classes...they break for summer vacation, then they start their next school year where they left off. Homeschooling is very flexible. The children go at their own pace. If a child needs a little more time grasping the concepts of a subject, you can back up and slow down...if the child is needing something more challenging, then they can speed up.Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
942 Posts
First of all I just want to say I am so sorry that the meeting went like that. The fact is that schools hands are tied in many cases - children have to read on a certain level because they cannot work individually with each student - and that is what makes homeschooling different. We can work with where the child is in each of the subjects.

There was no reason that I should of held my daughter back from beginning 2nd grade math this year just because she was still working through beginning reading activities. She struggles with reading, but I've watched and served as her transcriper for science projects and reports - and she understands cause and effect in science better than many of the older public school kids in the neighborhood do. My daughter already feels bad enough about her reading, I don't need to tell her that she can't do something else because she can't read well enough.

Two of the greatest 'recent' scientist were kicked out of school for being uneducable - Einstein and Edison. My mom worked as a teacher and librarian in the ps for over 30 years. She told me that in the LD classes half of the children actually score above-average (above 120) on IQ tests, some even score above 135. They are there because of reading, writing issues in most cases. I have never heard of a child being held back because their math was grade level - they just move on and give extra help.

Honestly, if I were in your shoes and basically not given any choice about whether or not she will be in 1st grade next year - I would homeschool her for this coming year. At the end of the year you could have her tested again and if she is working at a 2nd grade level at that time they would place her there. Generally schools do not like children being more than one year off in grade placement. If her reading clicks over this next year and she jumps ahead to a 3rd or 4th level, then she could rejoin her classmates. She could work on her reading in a relaxed environment where 60 some eyes are staring at her. And, you could keep her interested by working on various different things at her comprehension level.

Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I forgot to add a really good link to look through. Has a lot of basic hs info and links to other sites, which have good links to other sites. You can get lost here. But it may help you decide and discuss options. It is called A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling Website.

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am so sorry that happened to you. I have a degree in El. Ed. and taught sixth grade science for one year and have substitute taught on and off for almost a decade. I also have had the opportunity to be present at school meetings with parents where the principal didn't know much about the child and wasn't interested in hearing much of what the parents or teachers were saying. Because of no child left behind my whole sixth grade team was told no student was going to repeat the sixth grade, when several clearly needed to. These parents and us, as the teachers, made our case to the principal for retention, the parents were pleading for their children to have one more year of sixth grade because they were so far behind the other students. This principal flat out refused to listen and every child moved on to 7th. Thankfully I was there for only one year while the regular sixth grade science teacher was on maternity. I have little respect for our education system the way it is, I plan on going back to get my Master's Degree, but not in education. I don't have children yet, but I can see where there would be quite a few benefits to teaching your child at home, instead of leaving it up to a "one size fits all" mentality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How frustrating! I'm glad at least that her father was there for the meeting. That should make your reasons for wanting to homeschool easier for him to understand.

I, too, have children who don't fit the "typical" mode, and homeschooling has usually been the best option for us. (This year, my son is in a special program in the public school ... I could probably do more academically with him at home, but he's enjoying the benefits of being at school with the right program... the local school doesn't 'get' him or his issues at all, and sending him there I'm sure would have been a disaster.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts