Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved into our apartment in April and the kitchen is the last room to really be 'decorated'. The rest of the apartment is decorated in thrift store and dumpster dive decor, so it's not a matter of 'matching' anything really.

The kitchen is decent sized, with lots of counter space and nice, newer maple cabinets. The appliances are white. The walls and countertops are off white (more white than cream colored though). Within in the kitchen area is the hot water heater access (covered with door of course). It has a decent sized window dressed with an off-white swag curtain with a minimal floral design and lace accents. I only bought this because I was tired of looking at the plain drab window and window shade. On the same wall as the window is a door leading to the backyard.

My dilema is on the only real wall that I can decorate and hang pictures on (it's about 6ft long maybe) is where they put the circuit box!! Talk about ugly!! Right now we have a small American flag (the kind you attach to car windows because it latches onto the door). At first it was kind of a joke, but it's found it's home there ever since. My problem is I want to 'decorate' that wall, but don't dare to cover the box or pound too many nails into that wall because of wiring, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could I hang a curtain/drape or something from near the ceiling to hide the access door without safety being an issue? My only real thought was a wall divider thingy. There is room for it to stand on the floor, cover the 'ugly' and still give plenty of space for kitchen table and chairs. Has anyone every made a room divider from used or old shutters or bifold doors? Help!!

·
4,028 Posts
I like the idea of a wall hanging or drape. Go retro and hang some beads man! You would be able to hang them up high or even suspend them from the ceiling and can be used as a matching window dressing!

You could also hang something like a quilt top or decorative fabric that is EASILY washable as it is in the kitchen.

I wonder if you can paint it with a magnetic paint and use part of it as a message board, menu planning area and place for magnetic photo frames with family pictures tucked in them.
It would also let you put strips of magnetic tape on just about anything to put up as art or functional storage for spices and some utensils. LOL, I just now get this image of my pots and pans stuck to a magnetized wall for storage.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the idea of a wall hanging or drape. Go retro and hang some beads man! You would be able to hang them up high or even suspend them from the ceiling and can be used as a matching window dressing!

You could also hang something like a quilt top or decorative fabric that is EASILY washable as it is in the kitchen.

I wonder if you can paint it with a magnetic paint and use part of it as a message board, menu planning area and place for magnetic photo frames with family pictures tucked in them.
It would also let you put strips of magnetic tape on just about anything to put up as art or functional storage for spices and some utensils. LOL, I just now get this image of my pots and pans stuck to a magnetized wall for storage.

Gosh... a response already!! You're up early on a Saturday!!

Thanks for the ideas. I like the bead thing... but I want to try and hide as much of the ugliness as possible and with the beads, I'm afraid it would just accentuate it... UGH.

I have thought of the quilt/wall hanging idea. I just wasn't sure if there would be a safety issue with cloth being right over the circuit panel (of course there is a door there, but....).

I had initally thought of putting a bookshelf unit there, but don't like the idea of having to move furniture to get to the circuit panel unless I cut a hole in the back of the bookshelf unit where I could access the panel... which I don't think is really practical or frugal either.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I agree with magnets! I got some strip magnets from Sonic they were old advertising I cut them down to fit on clothes pins attached with glue and hang all sorts of items from my refrig and a very very large metal cabinet I've got. Also have several magnet picture frames with photos I change out with the holidays.

Laurie in Bradenton

Reactions: MomK

·
4,028 Posts
A wall hanging over the circuit door won't be a problem unless you light candles under it (not like I've caught fire to things before...:blush:).

And if by chance it ever would catch fire it would burn upward and very very quickly. A book case or picture frame would burn longer and be in place for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My son just moved into his frist apartment yesterday. The circut box was right smack dab in the center wall of the dining room wall. I had given him my old hutch and he put it right in front of the ungly thing. poof gone. If he need to get to the panel box it would not be hard.

It you tapped a small nail into the wall about an inch or two above the box you could probably hang a picture over it. Not some huge nail though. Is it the standard size about 1x1? You might even be able to use a push pin and hang a very light canvas print.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
We have a circuit box smack dab middle of a wall here too...my kitchen.

This is what we do to hang things here... 3M Command Strips. They are available at Walgreens, WalMart etc.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMsA36nEQH4[/media]

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update....

I finally solved my problem... at least temporarily until I find something I like better.

DBF had a woven blanket from Mexico... colors are cream/off-white a peachy kinda color, a pink color, some red and black; has some fringie stuff on both ends. Looks pretty good hanging on that wall and it's just the righ width. Kinda long, buy hey... Maybe I can find a some cute southwestern knick-knacks (a sombrero, a cactus or red chili peppers) to go on a small side table I have on that wall in front of blanket.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I guess it just took me a while to mull over some choices and think about what I already had here to do the trick.

G

·
This decorator blogger helps problems like your asking.
You can read or even ask her, send pics too!

I believe she's dealt with the issue you named with a shelf, fabric hung unusual ways, or carefully placed art, or architectural decor.

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/

She calls these things mis"treatments" sometimes :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm glad you solved your dilemma! Great job! Don't you just love this forum? People are so helpful, and they have great ideas!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts