Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New York!

Couldn't mention it before ( American relative issues- long story)

Anyway, I am back now and I have to say it was an amazing experience!

Sadly I was sick for a couple of days when I arrived ( stomach bug I think) which spoiled it a bit but I got better and we did everything we wanted to do and see everything we wanted to see.

New Yorkers are crazy jay walkers and the taxi's and cars just drive through the walk sign even if you are walking across the road!

We saw so many "locals" have "near miss" accidents it made my toes curl up!
Mind you, we had an "interesting" ride into the city as the driver was texting and talking on his cell phone the whole time he was weaving in and out of the rush hour traffic in Manhatten???!!!!!!!

We found NYC an incredibly surreal experience, so many iconic views and being a big fan of "Law and Order" it just brought the TV/movies to life for us.

Unlike most Brits who go to NYC and shop until they drop, we only brought back a few NYC t.shirts, which makes us REALLY weird LOL!

I did go a it mad on the peanut butter related front though:)
I do love all things peanut butter:toothy:

One thing that did surprise me, was the cost of food, having seen prices disscussed on here at various times it came as quite a shock to see that a loaf of Bread (similar to what I would buy at home) was $4.19 ?? that seemed VERY expensive to me, a small jar of Folgers instant coffee was $4.69 this was at a branch of Fairways supermarket ( might be local to NY, not sure..........)

This was in a residential area of the Upper West side not the touristy center, so...........

Can anyone tell me, those of you who have moved states/go on domestic vacations within the US, DOES the price of food vary from state to state? ( I can see why Hawaii and Alaska are more expensive = Distance/Aircost) but does the price vary within the 48 other states? and what is the reason for that?

If any of you could be bothered to post the price you pay for basics like bread/coffee/ margerine etc. I would be very interested to see the variations.

I was impressed with the vast amount of ready made Vegan food available to buy in the shops, OK I admit I was jealous:)

I love cooking, don't get me wrong and I like to know what I am eating, but oh the joy of being able to buy a Vegan Pizza in a store, wow!

New Yorkers LOVE their dogs, I have never seen so many dogs in a city! we found the dog lovers liked it when you said they had cute dogs and there were some real cuties, so being a huge dog lover I was in heaven.

Central park was the place to be at the weekend, watching the locals playing baseball and roller blading, very iconic to this English Rose.

My dh got eye cramp he toook so many photo's :toothy:

We wanted to go before we got too old and indeed it does seem to be a "young" city, not very many oldies, I guess the pace of life is a bit much when you get to a certain age? I know that I loved it for a week but I couldn't live there.

The other surprise is that there doesn't seem to be many NY CITY dwellers on THIS site? and lord knows they must need to save money every thing is so expensive ( not a criticism, just an observation).

I left a ton of stuff for the maid ( jewelry/perfume/4 jackets 2 skirts 3 sweaters/ 3 blouses/ trousers/scarves on top of the $5 a day tip and about $13 worth of change on our last day.
We also left a mans sport coat and about 8 practically new shirts.
I do hope she was pleased rather than annoyed at the closet full of stuff we left LOL

We tipped 30% in the eateries we ate in.
I have read Barbara Erenreich's books "Nickel and Dimed" and "Bait and Switch" so I am aware of how hard life is for people in these low paid jobs. I can only imagine how hard it is to manage in an expensive place like NYC everyday it must be hell, hence my surprise that there seem to be so few of the city dwellers on this site.

I would love to contrast my NYC trip with a trip to "small town USA" but I don't think I can hack another transatlantic flight! no matter how you dice and slice it, even movie stars in First Class still have to "hold their water" when the seat belt sign is on :toothy:

I don't like anyone else being in charge of my bladder LOL!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I'm in NJ, about 30 minutes outside of NYC and try to get in as often as possible.

Two of my best friends live in the city, and the truth is, if you don't have money, you can't afford to live there, so I'm not sure how concerned many of them are with frugality. I'm sure there are some, but the lifestyle just kinda lends to eating out, small apartments with little kitchens, etc.

That being said, I have always regretted not living in the city for at least one year before settling down into a suburban life. I love it there. :)

·
27,948 Posts
Welcome back Karen! So glad you had an interesting trip and that you were feeling better quickly to enjoy. Those prices are high, A cheap loaf of plain store brand white bread can be about a $1 and goes up from there. We make our own but when I bought it was prob average $2.59 loaf. Margarine $1, Instant coffee is expensive but reg you brew is about $3-$4/lb.
So your neck hurt from swiveling it around to take everything in? Never know what you'll see there.:D
Sorry we couldn't meet you there but glad you had a nice time & are home safe & sound.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm in Connecticut, about 90 minutes from the City.

The city is definitely more expensive than where I live. You obviously didn't have a car but I know parking in NY is just insane!

A loaf of white sandwich bread goes for about $1 on sale, and you can get butter for $2/lb. not sure about the instant coffee.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
glad to see ya home safe and sound. I have never been to NY myself except for the airports, hahahaha.

A loaf of bread runs about a dollar here. a package of margarine under a dollar, and coffee...i dunno. it's been so long since i had any. Prices do vary by region. :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I'm a GA native, but my dh is a NY native and his family has lived in Brooklyn for generations. I love it there, but I'm a country girl at heart.
NYC traffic is well, interesting. I've never driven in that traffic, too scary for me. My dh learned to drive in it, so he had no qualms. When he was a teen, his sister bought a new car and asked him to drive her to the airport, she asked if he could drive a stick shift, he kind of mumbled a reply. He taught himself how to drive it, coming out of JFK, by himself.

Here in the GA mtns, you can get a loaf of white bread at Kroger for .75, a one lb. pkg of margarine is about $1.25, peanut butter is around $2 for a 18 oz jar. Milk is about $3.50 a gal, for the least expensive brand at WalMart.

BTW, dh and I are big 'Law and Order' fans, too. :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Last Saturday I was in a CVS in NYC. I was also comparing the prices just to see if they were that much different. It really did seem that the prices were the same as the town I live in.

Food prices seem to be a little higher at the local groceries than what is around me. But restaurant prices seem to be the same.

I love being in the city but really love being able to come home away from the hustle and bustle. Also like seeing more grass and trees.

And yes, I love peanut butter also. When we lived in germany we really missed skippy peanut butter since the stuff we found in germany was the natural style peanut butter. My grandparents would send a couple containers to us from the states.

·
19,119 Posts
Love hearing about your trip - I'm still smiling!! NYC is one of my favorite places - in addition to being my hometown!! DH has not intererst in visiting unfortunately - he's definitely not a city person!!

The food prices that others are posting have me absolutely drooling with envy!!

So glad that you enjoyed your visit!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, Maui, you are really a Native New Yorker? How did you end up so far away in Hawaii?

BTW I have been to Hawaii and loved it! though it is a loooooooong way from us here ( takes about 24 hours of travel so really messes up the old body clock!)

·
19,119 Posts
Moved here from Connecticut over 30 years ago for a 'change' in my life - and my life keeps changing!! For the good!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm in Illinois and at the bread store i pay 79c a loaf.Margaine $3/1.00 on sale. Milk $1.99.

·
Registered
672 Posts
We live about 40-50 minutes outside the city in New Jersey and we dont go very often. We probly go about 3 times a year. As for some food prices, here are some for ya...

Bread - as cheap as 88 cents if we buy store brand, upwards of 4.69 if we buy specialty bread
Coffee - depends on brand. I can get a large plastic can (the one with the handle) of Maxwell House for 6.00 at walmart
Margarine - again depends on brand. we buy a 45 oz tub of Country Crock Shedd's Spread for about 2.50-3.00

I've live in Northern New Jersey but have lived in Southern New Jersey and Ohio. Ohio's prices are deffinately cheaper then NJ. I've even seen some of the same exact stores in our area with different prices, not just on food but clothes also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.