Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating if my dishwasher had bit the dust. Everything for the last few months has been grimy. Yes, rinse agent is refilled as needed. So I was getting frustrated. Yesterday i started looking at new dishwashers.... And more recently, everything was turning white! Coated. We serviced the dishwasher, cleaned out everything. But even the walls felt gritty. Rinse agent staining the door.

A few weeks ago, I did some research on line, and a product popped up. I was willing to try it, but Wal-mart didn't carry it, so I figured US only item, not a surprise, it's very common.

WELLLL.. last night, I went to get a dishwasher Cleaner. Glisten, it's like $15 for 2 treatments. And what did I find? The product that I'd seen online! LemiShine MC (machine cleaner). It was $4 for 3 treatments. So I figured, Glisten didn't do a great job, I was willing to risk $4. I also got the LemiShine that you can add when you wash dishes, to see if it would clean off the white film from the dishes.

It said to do the Machine treatment before doing the dishes... well I had a dishwasher full, I figured it couldn't hurt.

U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E

The dishes looked nearly new! So last night I did the machine treatment as well. Dump in the bottom, let the machine run for a few minutes, the stop it. Let it soak about 4 hours or more. So I did that. Then canceled the cycle altogether, set up the delayed start. I checked this morning, the rinse agent stains on the door are GONE. The inside of the dishwasher feels smooth and clean.

So then I took out my cloth, and wiped down the seal, and under side of the door... nice clean dishwasher. I reloaded it with all the white stained dishes. I have a few before pics that I took. I'll post them with the after pictures.

That LemiShine does what vinegar and Glisten didn't do, a little pricier than vinegar a fraction of the cost 1/4 of the Glisten. In fact, I'll never use vinegar in my dishwasher again. It calcifies with the detergent, causing all kinds of grief for us. Suggested by service center.

I'm so happy! I didn't want to buy a new dishwasher this month, with Christmas and all, and building my FFEF a little more. I want to up it another 5K. So everything is being accounted for. No extra.

If this is all it takes, if the next batch of dishes come out clean, I'll be stocking up on it!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like something to look for and do as a preventitive method before things get bad. Where in the store did you find it? With the other cleaners?

If you think of it or still have the package post a pic of it. It will be easier to find. TIA

·
Registered
11,016 Posts

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That's great! Thanks for the tip! :)

·
8,714 Posts
~I'm glad it worked for you!
I have a stainless steel interior on my dishwasher. When I notice it getting gritty I run a rinse with bleach, then scrub it out myself with a brush and cloth, and run the full cycle.
I don't know how well that would work in other dishwashers though.~

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Learn More about Lemi Shine! for picture of container. There is a store locator as well.

Here are my pics
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Thanks for the tips! I'm trying it in the toilets right now! I have some hard water staining in there too. New toilets, and stained...argh. Can't scrub with anything other than toilet brush or we ruin the finish. Worth a try! Will let them soak a couple hours.

·
19,119 Posts
Congrats and mahalo for the new info!! Can certainly use in the bathroom!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
WOW! I'm going to have to find some of that stuff. Your before & after pictures aren't much off from what my dishes are slowly looking like with each use & wash.

The service center probably tells people to use vinegar so they will give up, not try anything else & then need a new dishwasher. ;)

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
That's fantastic! I'd love to get a place with a dishwasher. If I do, I'll keep that product in mind. :D

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Wow great pics I need some of that stuff for my showerhead & faucets & to clean my glass pitcher.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Have you tried running a load without the cleaner now? I wonder if it is similar to the coffee pot, where you only have to occasionally clean. It might save you a few extra bucks here and there.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
looked it up for my area and can find it in Publix, a grocery store, Walmart and Target.

thanks

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't yet. I just picked it up last night.

They also make a rinse agent, that I will be getting when my Jet Dry runs out.

It should just be routine. But right now I have some many dishes that have a coating on it I'm using it for a few days to get it all clean!

Plus it'll get the dishwasher cleaner and cleaner. :)

·
8,714 Posts
~Wow, that's neat! It's only been doing that the last few months? That's kinda weird. Guess it just built up? I'd probably try to save money on the Lemi by just doing a soak whenever the cloudiness started back up. But I'm cheap like that! :p ~

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
~Wow, that's neat! It's only been doing that the last few months? That's kinda weird. Guess it just built up? I'd probably try to save money on the Lemi by just doing a soak whenever the cloudiness started back up. But I'm cheap like that! :p ~
It has been getting worse and worse. Vinegar helped a little, but lately it was brutal. We had a generic detergent for a couple weeks, and then it was out of control. Did the vinegar, did the glisten, got name brand rinse agent etc. Nothing helped. THIS worked beautifully.

I'll definitely get it as a rinse agent from now on. It's cheaper than the stuff I get anyway.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I Love Lemishine ! I had an older dishwasher same problem, had ended up getting a high end Bosch for free, yes free, and had same problem which was attributed to hard water. I had researched as well, tried vinegar etc and then tried Lemishine, and the problem disappeared. I use it as my rinse agent. Love the stuff.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to know the rinse agent does work :) Love that it is more of a green product too!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.