Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been a one income family for almost five months now. I am so happy to be at home full-time! It is my "dream job". My stress levels have plummeted. I was able to go and stay with my 28 year old daughter for ten days when her husband died recently. I didn't have to worry about getting time off work, or anything. I just gassed up the car and went.

There is more time now for frugal pursuits, like thrift store shopping, scratch cooking, serious couponing and stockpiling. Today, for instance, I woke early to take DH to work at 6am, so I could have the car for the day. After returning home for breakfast, the newspaper, a shower, and a few household chores, I headed off to the Goodwill store for their $1 clothing sale. I found several nice items there, a shirt and two ties for DH, a dress and a pair of jeans for dd, two shirts for me, and four items to mail off to the grandsons. Then I stopped at Aldi's to pick up $8 worth of groceries. Home for lunch, and then two hours of coupon clipping and organizing. I was a couple of weeks behind, because of the unplanned trip. I also went through and pulled out all the expired coupons (I do this once a month). Then it was time to pick up DH at work.

If I was still working I would have been rushing to get to work right after DH got home. Even on a Saturday. But now, I don't have to rush, so I make a pot of coffee for DH and I to share. While this is going on, I have the clothes from the thrift store in the washer, then the dryer. When they are done, the ones I am sending to the grandsons get ironed, folded neatly, wrapped in tissue paper, then placed in a box for mailing. It is not yet 5pm, so I grab the package and head to Dillon's (one of the double coupon grocery stores). At Dillon's, I mail the package, and grab a cart. I have my trusty coupon binder with me. I grab a few advertised specials that I have coupons for, and some lettuce and an avocado for tonights dinner- Taco Salad. My total savings on this trip are 58%, not my best, but I did get two "Catalina" coupons (the kind that print out at the checkout), one is for $5.00 off my next shopping order for buying Pillsbury products (they were on sale, and I had coupons), and another one for $2.00 off my next fresh beef or chicken purchase. That one was for buying four Hamburger Helpers. They were on sale for $1.00, and I used two coupons for .50/2 which doubled, so I paid $2.00 for four boxes, and received a coupon for $2.00 in free meat, not a bad deal. :)

Total spent at Dillon's $27.89
Saved with coupons $17+
Saved with store card $16+
Total savings 58% - plus $7.00 in coupons to use next shopping trip

When I got home, and got the groceries put away, I started the beef cooking for our taco salads, sliced some green onions, and diced an avocado. I had purchased the lettuce and the cheese already shredded. The salads were yummy. We made them on a bed of crushed tortilla chips, the taco seasoned beef with a can of drained red kidney beans added, shredded lettuce, shredded Mexican style cheese, diced avocado, sliced green onions, salsa, and a drizzle of ranch dressing. When I was working, I rarely got to eat dinner with the family. This is so much better!

After dinner, I do the dishes and clean the kitchen. Then I get some computer time. We make more coffee (decaf this time), and have our cinnamon rolls. Now as I sit here writing this, I just feel so thankful to be a stay at home mom. My life is as good as it ever has been.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I was able to go and stay with my 28 year old daughter for ten days when her husband died recently..
Sorry to go way off topic, but I am so sorry to hear this happened. That is so sad. How is your daughter doing now?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughter, Shannon is doing as well as possible, I guess. She also has two sons, ages 7 and 11.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Oh that does break my heart. It was very fortunate you were able to go and be with her and the boys when they really needed someone.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I too am sorry to hear about your son in law, it is very sad.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I too am sorry to hear about the son-in-law but glad you were able to be with your DD, I too love being able to be a SAHM. :)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Deb, first of all I'm so sorry to hear about your son in law :hugz: I hope your daughter will be ok as time goes on.

I know exactly how you feel about being a stay at home. Most people that I know in RL can not imagine how I can be so happy staying at home but I am. It's truly what I want to do and feels natural to me. Good for you, I hope you are a forever stay at home if that's what you wanna be;). :thumb:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of the death of your SIL. Your daughter is a lucky woman to have a mother as kind and concerned as what you are. I love being at home too.It's so nice to know there are others who feel just like I do!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am glad you are enjoying staying at home. Sounds like you are able to save more by being home by cooking from scratch, etc.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your daughter's husband too. I hope someday to be a SAHM. I love being at home organizing the coupons, menu planning, keeping up with the cleaning and laundry and making sure the budget is on track. I have been home for the last 5 months looking for employment and it's given me such a great opportunity to concentrate on all things frugal that I absolutely love doing! I have had a chance to catch up on my reading and I am even learning how to knit now too.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
i love being a sahm. wow sorry to hear about your daughter & son-in-law. i'm 28 also, that really hits close to home knowing their ages are close to mine.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sorry for the loss of you son in law. I'm sending prayers for you daughter and children. Its nice that you could be their at her time of need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your son-in-law.

Today is my first day as a SAHM actually. I have been wanting to be one since ds (now 2.5 was born) but I was the breadwinner and dh was SAHD. Now we are able to switch roles and I am very excited to give this a try!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss of your son-in-law & hope your dd & sons are doing well.
It is so nice to be a sahm as I also enjoyed being one while raising my daughter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts