Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She said "its not about religion or church, its about meaning to our life, about living a more authentic life.

I looked up the word "authentic" in the Merriam Webster Dictionary and here is what it said.

Main Entry: au·then·tic
Pronunciation: &-'then-tik, o-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English autentik, from Middle French autentique, from Late Latin authenticus, from Greek authentikos, from authentEs perpetrator, master, from aut- + -hentEs (akin to Greek anyein to accomplish, Sanskrit sanoti he gains)
Date: 14th century
1 obsolete : AUTHORITATIVE
2 a : worthy of acceptance or belief as conforming to or based on fact <paints an authentic picture of our society> b : conforming to an original so as to reproduce essential features <an authentic reproduction of a colonial farmhouse> c : made or done the same way as an original <authentic Mexican fare>
3 : not false or imitation : REAL, ACTUAL <based on authentic documents> <an authentic cockney accent>
4 a of a church mode : ranging upward from the keynote -- compare PLAGAL 1 b of a cadence : progressing from the dominant chord to the tonic -- compare PLAGAL 2
5 : true to one's own personality, spirit, or character
- au·then·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb
- au·then·tic·i·ty /"o-"then-'ti-s&-tE, -th&n-/ noun
synonyms AUTHENTIC, GENUINE, BONA FIDE mean being actually and exactly what is claimed. AUTHENTIC implies being fully trustworthy as according with fact <an authentic account of the perilous journey>; it can also stress painstaking or faithful imitation of an original <an authentic reproduction> <authentic Vietnamese cuisine>. GENUINE implies actual character not counterfeited, imitated, or adulterated <genuine piety> <genuine maple syrup>; it also connotes definite origin from a source <a genuine Mark Twain autograph>. BONA FIDE implies good faith and sincerity of intention <a bona fide offer for the stock>.
I think #5 - speaks about living an authentic life - one who does things for himself!!

What do you think an authentic life means? Are you ready to look within? Thoughts!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I think Shakespeare said it best "To thine own self be true"

Living life to the fullest while staying true to who you are and holding fast to what you believe in.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'm realizing that I find it hard to be true to myself. I know what I believe in life, in general, but not always...I'm feel kind of lost these past few months...I'm not sure what the values my parents gave me are the ones I have...I have been decieved...I'm still searching the true meaning of my life. Do you know your meaning of your life?

Lucie

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I consider myself a spiritual person, but do not consider myself necessarily religious. For me it is about my core values and being honest with all that matters to me. I always admired my grandmother because although she didn't appear the warmest person to everyone...she was a realist and had more character than anyone I have ever known. She had wisdom that I respected and I loved her honesty. She had a way of lifting me up always.
I used to just hear the quote "Life is too short" and barely listened to it. It has become such a cliche, but now that she is gone, I truly realize that all of what she said was so true....Life is too short. We have today to be all of who we are and to share it with those that are dearest to us. You can live an empty life or a full one.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
You are right, Sara, life is too short. :) and it's so precious...

Lucie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts