Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I've posted on other threads, we are having pregnancy issues. My mom has come up to stay with us off and on until things are finally resolved. I realized that she would be missing out on the opportunity to do some of her canning and preserving while she was with us. Then, they announced in church last week that an elderly gentleman who can't get out much anymore still had things to harvest from his garden. I called my mom and told her to bring canning supplies up.

So far, we have done (mostly her because I'm somewhat limited in what I can do) 30 quarts of Concord grape juice, 32 pints of Concord grape jam and jelly, 10 rolls of grape fruit leather, 12 quarts of applesauce, 5 trays of dehydrated apple slices. We'll be splitting it between us all - including my brothers who have been helping harvest.

She and one of my brothers are up at this gentleman's house finishing picking the grapes and apples. My brother has been there for four hours. My mom has been there for about an hour and a half. I was there twice this week for as long as I could tolerate it. And another brother of mine was up there twice doing as much as he could. There will still be walnuts to pick up next week as well. We've also given away a ton of grapes to one of my cousins who is also doing juice and jelly, and will probably give more away!

We can't stand seeing things go to waste! Plus, I haven't had the chance to do canning with my mom in YEARS! I love doing it! I'm learning from an expert.

The leavings are all going into our garden plot to be tilled in along with some of the fallen leaves from the trees. So the garden should be well fertilized for next spring.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ohhhhh...i remember the days of canning with my mom.... boy do i miss her! Enjoy your time with her, if only I had one more day with my mom, I might do that exact same thing!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Awww! I can certainly see why you love her so much, but I have a feeling she'd write the same thing about you too!

I really enjoyed your little "story", and glad you and your family made good use of all that extra harvest! Wow! That really was quite a haul. Sounds like you should be enjoying it for months to come. Now go get some rest!!! ;)

Thanks for posting!

Theresa :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts