Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my 14yo's lesson plan/assignment sheet for the month of September. I used Excel. Holy Hannah, that has GOT to get easier. Not Excel, the lesson plan making :smhelp: It does get easier, right?

I don't think I'm going to do one for the younger two. At least not yet. But my 14yo is very much a schedule type person, needs to know what's going to happen when, etc. So this will help her, even though it was painful for me lol.<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1064584225-->

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yay! Good for you!

If you really want to find a way to make it easier and less painful for you I would include dd in the process. We are unschoolers at this point but ds still does better with an idea about where to start. We sit down together and discuss what he's interested in, what he wants to explore, how he's interested in learning, etc. If he seems stuck or is having trouble expanding or finding resources I am there to step in; the lesson planning is a team effort.

This helps in numerous ways... 1) it eases the pressure of me planning the whole thing, 2) it prevents me from wasting time pulling things together he doesn't really want to do, 3) It keeps him motivated to learn and see units through to the end. You know that saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink," well, if he is responsible for finding his own water he's more likely to drink it., and most importantly 4) it reinforcers that he is ultimately responsible for his education... I am a guide in his journey. HTH :D

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Can you share? I am very excited for you! Yes, it will get easier. You find that you instinctively know what you need to cover for some things and you aren't so worried about making sure you have everything included + fun + covering "XYZ standard for math, ABC for Science" blah, blah, blah! Not to mention the turns some lesson take are WAY better than anything you could EVER plan. Good luck! Keep up the GREAT work!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh how I wish she would be involved in the process. She has ABSOLUTELY no desire to learn much less be homeschooled. She has had every single bit of her love of learning squeezed right out of her. She is unmotivated and uninterested. To her, it's just another waste of her time :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that will change as we go through our first year of homeschooling. I'm really hoping she chooses to continue to homeschool. OY!

·
Registered
945 Posts
She has had every single bit of her love of learning squeezed right out of her.
This is the sad truth that happens way too often. I would suggest perhaps deschooling a while longer if you feel comfortable with it. We deschooled for several months and then ds was asking for things to do. He is young though so the process happened more quickly; maybe she just needs more time. In the meantime... celebrate the fact that YOU are getting the hang of things! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts