Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thank you! I'm going to get up and make some now! I think I'll try adding blueberries to mine...

·
4,028 Posts
nice recipe... how does the flipping change their appearance? Were they flat on both sides?

I haven't made bagels for a while but I think I might put this on my to do list. :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks! My DS loves bagels. :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice recipe... how does the flipping change their appearance? Were they flat on both sides?

I haven't made bagels for a while but I think I might put this on my to do list. :)
Not really flat on both sides...the tops were pretty cooked when I flipped them, so they didn't flatten out much. Does that make sense? lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ok the more I see this recipe & the positive responses just confirms that I gotta give it a go!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I made this recipe the other day and added some raisins and cinn. to one batch and the other batch I sub. in orange juice for the water and added some dried cranberries. They are so good.
Will be playing around with this recipe some more and adding in different things.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I made this recipe the other day and added some raisins and cinn. to one batch and the other batch I sub. in orange juice for the water and added some dried cranberries. They are so good.
Will be playing around with this recipe some more and adding in different things.
GREAT JOB!!!! Now I need to know if you've ever made bagels before? Are you ++ exp. bread baker...just trying to figure out if the recipe is really THAT easy!

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is very similar to the recipe I use. We love homemade bagels! So far, I've made white, wheat, salt and garlic varieties. I always make them before vacation, because we like to munch on them while we're driving.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
GREAT JOB!!!! Now I need to know if you've ever made bagels before? Are you ++ exp. bread baker...just trying to figure out if the recipe is really THAT easy!

No I have never made bagels before in my life.
I do bake a lot of bread but I have a bread machine so it does most of the work for me.
I do love to bake so I play around with recipes a lot and change them to be healthier and to out tastes.
These really are super easy to make.
Next time I make them and am not even going to roll them out into the donut shape.
I am going to just flatten them out and see how they turn out.
This will make them even easier.
We do not care what shape they are as long as we can put them in the toaster.

·
8,714 Posts
~I used this recipe over the weekend and it was so easy! It was so fast that I was able to make these while the baby fed herself breakfast in her highchair.
I've made bagels twice before but these turned out the best!
I used all purpose flour and removed 1 TB per cup.
I didn't bother to make ropes of dough. I tucked the ends of the dough under(as you would for dinner rolls) when I separated into the 8 pieces. Then after they'd rested I just used my finger to make a hole in the centers and stretched out the hole to about 1.5 inches. Perfect and much faster!
Be sure to use a spatula to lift the risen dough off of the counter and into the boiling water. I wasn't thinking and picked up the first two by hand and the deflated and stretched out a bit. ;)
Total cost per bagel: $.07 :sun: ~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.