Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..and I like it. I washed my first load with it today. I waited until I had used up all my stocked up detergent before turning to making it instead. I'm happy!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great Job....I even use my homemade soap in making the laundry soap

·
Registered
27 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I've been making mine for awhile now, as well, and I love it. Its fun and you realize that you have been paying for alot of junk in detergent that you really don't want! I always hated buying laundry detergent because it was sooo expensive. I make all my own house cleaners, too and have saved a bundle!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great!! I am getting ready to buy all the stuff I need to make it today for the first time!! I am glad it worked out great for you, hopefully it will work for me to!!!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I love hm products. I like knowing exactly what is going into them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a question about the dry. It says to use 2 Tbsp (1 oz) for heavily soiled loads. My detergent says to use 3/4 cup (6 oz) for an extra large load. My clothes get dirty because of my work so I am wondering how it would be possible for 2 Tbsp to clean them, or any clothes for that matter. Does this mean for a small load or is this stuff that much more potent?
Thanks!

·
2,688 Posts
I haven't made any homemade yet, because I am still using some I had in stockpile. Probably sometime this summer, I will get to try it :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have a question about the dry. It says to use 2 Tbsp (1 oz) for heavily soiled loads. My detergent says to use 3/4 cup (6 oz) for an extra large load. My clothes get dirty because of my work so I am wondering how it would be possible for 2 Tbsp to clean them, or any clothes for that matter. Does this mean for a small load or is this stuff that much more potent?
Thanks!

I would try the recommended dose...I think because it is more concentrated and there is no fillers in it like the brand name detergents. If after trying the two tbsp, the are not clean enough then up it to three for the next wash. You have to experiment a little to find the dosage that works for you! I use half the recommended dose on normal washes and it works fine for me!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks!
I've found that my homemade stuff gets clothes much cleaner. It has pulled out some stains that have gone through a handful of storebought loads.

Reactions: Josephhgoins

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Op, that's great :clap:

For the rest of you who already use HM, would you please share your recipes? TIA :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
:yeah: Please share your recipes with us.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the one I used and it turned out great. I talked to my sis today and she's going to make it too. Now to get my mom onboard and I think she'll love it.

HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT

Ingredients:
3.1 oz bar Ivory soap or 2 regular bar sizes(I chose Ivory over the others since I know we are not allergic to it)
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
½ cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda or Baking Soda (I used baking soda since I couldn't find the washing soda but it worked just fine)
Water
Tools:
5 Gallon container
Knife or grater
Pot large enough to hold 5 cups of water
Long stirring stick/spoon (for 5 gallon container)
Instructions:
Shave the soap into small strips or grate it up finely with a grater and place in the pot with 5 cups of water. Bring the water just shy of a boil and stir until the soap is completely melted. When the soap is just about melted, pour 3 gallons of hot water into the 5-gallon container and let it sit until the soap in the pot is totally melted. Once all of the soap shavings are melted, pour the mixture into the 5-gallon container and stir.
Once the soap and water are thoroughly stirred, add the ½ cup pf washing soda and stir until dissolved. Once the washing soda is dissolved, pour in the cup of borax and stir again until dissolved.

***You can add essential oil flavors for the smell but I prefer without.

***You use 1/2 to 1 cup for each load of laundry depending on how dirty they are.

Reactions: miss_thrifty

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've been using the homemade laundry soap for a while, now. It does clean better and the clothes smell better, too. It's easy to make but it can be messy, if you're like me. I'm going to hang some clothes out this year to see the difference with the outdoor smell.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
This is the one I used and it turned out great. I talked to my sis today and she's going to make it too. Now to get my mom onboard and I think she'll love it.

HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT

Ingredients:
3.1 oz bar Ivory soap or 2 regular bar sizes(I chose Ivory over the others since I know we are not allergic to it)
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
½ cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda or Baking Soda (I used baking soda since I couldn't find the washing soda but it worked just fine)
Water
Tools:
5 Gallon container
Knife or grater
Pot large enough to hold 5 cups of water
Long stirring stick/spoon (for 5 gallon container)
Instructions:
Shave the soap into small strips or grate it up finely with a grater and place in the pot with 5 cups of water. Bring the water just shy of a boil and stir until the soap is completely melted. When the soap is just about melted, pour 3 gallons of hot water into the 5-gallon container and let it sit until the soap in the pot is totally melted. Once all of the soap shavings are melted, pour the mixture into the 5-gallon container and stir.
Once the soap and water are thoroughly stirred, add the ½ cup pf washing soda and stir until dissolved. Once the washing soda is dissolved, pour in the cup of borax and stir again until dissolved.

***You can add essential oil flavors for the smell but I prefer without.

***You use 1/2 to 1 cup for each load of laundry depending on how dirty they are.
Thanks for posting this.

Can I use this in my front loader? And if so, how much should I use for one load?

Reactions: shp1055

·
Banned
952 Posts
I've been using the homemade laundry soap for a while, now. It does clean better and the clothes smell better, too. It's easy to make but it can be messy, if you're like me. I'm going to hang some clothes out this year to see the difference with the outdoor smell.

CH, If you pay attention, you'll find that each season has it's own wonderful smell on your clothes! I love getting in a bed made with fresh washed sheets that have been hung out to dry. MMMM.... nothing like it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

Can I use this in my front loader? And if so, how much should I use for one load?
I have an HE front loader, too. I hope someone answers this. I would hate to use this and break my washer. That would be very unfrugal!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sorry Michelle and checkerkitty I don't know myself. Hopefully someone else will come along that knows.

I love line drying my sheets, quilts, comforters:laundry:. It just smells so good. I don't line dry every day laundry though because of my health issues its to difficult for me to bring the clothing in and out. When I do the sheets and things my kids help. They are not here enough to help with everyday laundry.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts