Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried so many recipes and shapes of pans trying to duplicate lunch shaped bread. Well yesterday I finally did it but only by mistake.

Sorry this is long I do seem to ramble not sure how to be more to the point.

My bread always seems so dense and flat on top even though I follow the directions to a T. Well yesterday I got busy on the internet and forgot about it on it's last rise in the oven. I have this real nice long bread pan like 13 inches, the shape of a bag of bread, you can slide a lid on it and make a square loaf if you want. Well it was in the oven with towel on it when I realized I forgot about it open the door and half moon shape under the towel. Pulled it out and went OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Turned on the oven and split the top down the middle, threw it in cooked, pulled it out of the pan and it looked good. Let it cool, ( I have a meat slicer) put it in the slicer and sliced off the end. Perfect density, hopes are up. Sliced the whole loaf, ate a piece, gave hubby a bit he agreed it was a good density and flavor, (did not smell like yeast).

This morning threw a piece in the toaster, AND IT TOASTED PERFECT. If he makes his sandwich and likes it today I will not have to buy lunch bread anymore unless I want too.

$4.99 saved for every loaf. Wheeeee.

Kids loved it too, that is good also.

I have also conquered bread sticks, sub rolls (round and long), and pizza dough.

Gonna have to get to baking again to get some extras in the freezer for when I don't feel like cooking.

Thanks for reading all this I WILL READ ALL YOUR POST TOO. HEHE

·
19,119 Posts
Success is a wonderful thing - and that you are for sure!! Congrats!! What are you going to conquer next?

·
27,948 Posts
Aww, now I want a piece! Congrats & keep on baking!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next I am gonna try either bagels or English Muffins, after I stock my freezer with a couple loaves first.

·
Registered
669 Posts
you have to go by the dough, not necessarily by the clock. The pan you have is called a Pullman pan, and it is for making bread that is perfectly square. It's a bit longer than standard.

Glad you mastered it - nothing like your own loaf of bread.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Congrats, on mastering your favorite bread loaf. I love the smell of baking bread. I make all our rolls, breads and most everything from scratch nothing is better for health or your pocketbook. I love artisan breads and refuse to pay the price, and love baking so works out well for us. So glad you love baking to. I agree with Saule , go by the feel of the bread. Love the pullman pans.

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sounds great but may i ask what and where you spend $4.99 for a loaf of bread?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Organic bread here in Northern VA

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Organic bread here in Northern VA
Exactly...sigh some even charge up to 12.00 my favorite bread from my hometown bakery 40.00 for a couple double loafs of Italian mailed. Would I pay that no, but crave the bread so learned to duplicate it and love baking ever since.

If you want good bread with no whowho stuff in it, good organic flour, no GMO, no high corn fructose, and good ingredients you will either pay through the nose...or learn to bake real well....LOL I applaud your efforts and welcome you to the world of full pocketbooks and artisan breads my fellow baking friend.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Congrats on all the success...........I see a master bread maker on the rise .....:laugh:(pun intended)

Sounds great but may i ask what and where you spend $4.99 for a loaf of bread?
It amazes me what the price of bread is in certain areas. I have a friend that lives almost in So. Idaho (small town) and bread is over $3 a loaf...........for just the plain stuff. Want any nuts or seeds and you might as well sell your firstborn!!! I can get the 'bazillion seed' bread of under $1.75.........but we have lots of bakeries close.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Congrats on all the success...........I see a master bread maker on the rise .....:laugh:(pun intended)

It amazes me what the price of bread is in certain areas. I have a friend that lives almost in So. Idaho (small town) and bread is over $3 a loaf...........for just the plain stuff. Want any nuts or seeds and you might as well sell your firstborn!!! I can get the 'bazillion seed' bread of under $1.75.........but we have lots of bakeries close.
Bazillion seed bread sounds so good Frugal Fanny:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.